Profile for Jonesthepost > Reviews

Content by Jonesthepost

Jonesthepost

Antigua & Dominica itm r/v (r)
Antigua & Dominica itm r/v (r)
by ITMB Publishing
Edition: Map

3.0 out of 5 stars A quide line only, 28 Jan. 2016
If you are used to the accuracy of UK ordnance survey maps you will be disappointed. I have done a lot of walking on the island of Antiqua - probably more than I would have done had I had a better map. For example the hotel I am staying in is incorrect by about 500metres so its proximity to the road is confusing. Landmarks are incorrectly positioned so you never quite know your starting point. . I have used it every day but in conjunction with google maps on my smartphone/tablet.

The Closet of Savage Mementos
The Closet of Savage Mementos

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read - made me think, 3 Feb. 2015
Having ground my way through the last few books read for my book club it was great to find a book that reminded me why I like reading so much. What I liked was the lack of unnecessary detail - the reader was made to fill in gaps - the story raced along and kept me gripped throughout. One of the things I liked was that the heroine was, to me, a character who I would not have been attracted to had I met her but I identified and sympathised with her by the end of the book.

Don't Say "Cheese!" - Photographing Babies and Children in the Studio
Don't Say "Cheese!" - Photographing Babies and Children in the Studio

5.0 out of 5 stars Good practical help, 19 Mar. 2013
I am a grandmother who has the reputation amongst family and friends for taking decent photos and I work at improving my technique as photography is my hobby. Until I retired I owned my own business so I know how important it is to do things in a business, efficient and cost effective manner. I think this would be an excellent book for people trying to set up a business photographing babies and children. The detail Ms Ashley went into about lighting and equipment was just right for me and I loved her ideas for keeping toddlers in the same place long enough to photograph them and positioning babies so that they look attractive. I liked the way that she made throw away remarks about how to please her customers. For example I don't have paying customers but I certainly notice that family and friends tend to prefer photographs where the child or children and bank in the middle of the scene, not offset. The customer is always right even if they aren't paying.

Sony SEL50F18 E Mount  - APS-C 50mm F1.8 Prime Lens (Silver)
Sony SEL50F18 E Mount - APS-C 50mm F1.8 Prime Lens (Silver)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this lens, 10 Feb. 2013
I am not a very adventurous photographer - what I want is a camera and a lens that will take professional looking images of my grandchildren. I bought this lens because the reviews said that it takes good images in poor lighting conditions - - - and it does. It focusses on the subject quickly and precisely and the background blurs beautifully. I am really pleased with it. I also like it because it is compact and fairly lightweight. I tend to use this lens all the time, not the Nex 7 kit lens which I used very happily until this one arrived. I would be interested to know how much better the Zeiss E24mm/F/1.8 is - I might buy this one as well.

Wireless IR Infrared Remote Control for Sony Alpha A7, A7r, NEX-7, NEX-6, NEX-5T,NEX-5n,NEX7,A33,A55,A57,A65,A77,A99,A230,A290,A330,A380,A390,A450,A550,A580,A700,A850,A900,DSLR as IRMT-DSLR1
Offered by BV-electronics

1.0 out of 5 stars Why no instruction book?, 10 Feb. 2013
This product arrived without an instructions but having had a remote which I used with my Canon Camera I thought I would give it a go anyway. I took out the slip of plastic to engage the battery and changed the Drive Mode on my Sony Nex 7 to Remote Cdr. I put the camera on a tripod and sat in front to test it out. Firstly sometimes the switch failed it make contact with the camera and nothing happened but more importantly it didn't activate the autofocus mechanism in the camera and took out of focus photos. I then replaced my face with a broom head, focussed manually and took the photo. I don't want to use it for macro type photography but for spontaneous group portraits so it no use for me. I tried to get it to work in 'intelligent auto' Manual and Programme Auto modes. I might be doing something wrong but the absence of an instruction book (or instructions on the manufacturer's website or a U Tube tutorial) makes me conclude this is not the remote for me. My final frustration was that I couldn't get the battery shelf out of the remote to see if this was the problem and I have damaged the plastic casing attempting to do this so I feel I can't return it to the seller. I won't buy cheap and cheerful again - in the end this has been a complete waste of time and money. Another point about the product that I have noticed is that recently more people have given it a low star rating - have they slightly changed the specifications I wonder.

How to do Maths so Your Children Can Too: The essential parents' guide
How to do Maths so Your Children Can Too: The essential parents' guide
by Naomi Sani

5.0 out of 5 stars Maths tuition book, 3 Dec. 2012
Just what I wanted. The book repeats information every time it is needed to understand the next topic. It was just the right level for me to feel that I understand how and why my grandchildren are being taught the maths in the way they are. My starting point is that I was reasonable at maths, I passed O level but that was 40 years ago. I actually enjoyed reading the book.

Geuther Lucy Playpen (White/ Stripes)
Geuther Lucy Playpen (White/ Stripes)

5.0 out of 5 stars Playpen, 3 Dec. 2012
Brilliant - gave to my son who has a dog - baby completely safe from being jumped on and a lies at a good height to pick up!!

Self-Adhesive Felt Letters Value Pack (Pack of 550)
Self-Adhesive Felt Letters Value Pack (Pack of 550)
Offered by Yellow Moon UK Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Felt letters, 3 Dec. 2012
Just what I wanted - I suppose one slight disadvantage is that the adhesive sticks to sewing needles. For the job that I needed the felt letters for they had to be sewn on as well as stuck.