Profile for David Mendoza > Reviews

Content by David Mendoza

David Mendoza

Genealogical Standards of Evidence: A Guide for Family Historians (Genealogist's Reference Shelf)
Price: 5.76

3.0 out of 5 stars A basic introduction, 4 April 2013
I bought this book, rather that The BCG Genealogical Standards Manual, because it was available for immediate download to my Kindle. I found the first half useful. The author has a good writing style. I didn't know about the origins of modern genealogy, which she discusses. The second half mainly contains lists with a particular focus on Canada and, to a lesser degree, the United States. I'm in Europe. The illustrations didn't display well on Kindle. I found the book helpful, but would have liked more.

Secret Lisbon (Jonglez Guides)
Secret Lisbon (Jonglez Guides)
by Vitor Manuel Adrio
Price: 8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The only good Lisbon guide, 19 Mar 2013
This is the only Lisbon guidebook that seems to be written by someone who knows and cares about the city. I arrived in Lisbon with the Time Out guide which seemed the best of a bad bunch, but left it in the hotel room after the second day. Secret Lisbon will help you understand the city and its people. Before my trip I was put off buying the book by a negative review on Amazon. A Lisbon bookseller (who had sold out) recommended the book to me. It is published by a Spanish publisher that specialises in quirky titles. It is a cultural guide rather than telling you where to eat, but listings stuff you can find online anyway.

Time Out Lisbon 5th edition
Time Out Lisbon 5th edition
by Time Out Guides Ltd
Price: 10.02

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 17 Mar 2013
Lisbon deserves better than this. Major sites were covered in a few sentences. Wikipedia gives much more detail for free. I didn't get the impression that the authors were interested in their subject. I found a well-known travel review website much more useful. In fairness to this guidebook, the competition are equally dire, with the single exception of Secret Lisbon, a cultural guide by Vitor Manuel Adrio.