Profile for Bri > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Warehouse Anthems
Warehouse Anthems

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Warehouse Anthems (Audio CD)
I was too young to have ever been able to go to raves when the genre was at its height (I was only around 9 or 10) but I clearly remember listening to local pirate radio stations late on a night, mainly at weekends so although too young to experience a rave for myself, I've always been a big fan of the music of the time.

Growing up with rave, happy hardcore, trance, and more recently hard house I've been growing more disillusioned with the state of dance music as the years have gone on (I mean seriously, how can the likes of Rihanna and Pitbull be classified as dance?!) I've always found myself looking back to the genre's heyday and this album brings it all back with some true classics and brilliant mixing!

I highly recommend this to anyone that, like me was into the music of the day and more so to those that were actually old enough and lucky enough to have gone to all night warehouse parties.

An absolute quality album, and well worth a buy.

The Wolf of Wall Street
The Wolf of Wall Street

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst book I have ever read, 16 Mar 2014
Saw the film first and thought it was really entertaining so thought I'd give the book a try.

What a mistake - it has to be the most repetitive, boring and appallingly written book I have ever read. Even though it's only around half the length of a lot of the books I read I found it really hard going, mainly due to how badly this book was written. He repeats himself many times, talking about the same old things - things which on many occasions are just not interesting; Really, I didn't care how much your silk sheets cost the first time you told me, and I care even less after you've then proceeded to tell me again another couple of times. This is something that he does frequently throughout the book, as well as refer to people he encounters with - mainly derogatory - nicknames for pretty much everyone he encounters, including his own wife (loamy loins, I ask you!)

After finally getting to the end I formed the conclusion that here we have a book written by a person who has absolutely no morals at all, totally no understanding or remorse for the lives he's destroyed through his pursuit of sex, drugs and money. This book is simply 500 pages of bragging about how much better he is than practically anybody else (heaven forbid you go to work and earn an honest living for a modest wage packet because in his eyes you'd be nothing but pond scum). He also seems to remember conversations and events in almost exquisite detail and considering most of his time was spent high as a kite I fail to see how that can be possible so I believe that a lot of what happened in this book is embellished to an extent - I am left wondering how much of it is actually true and how much is his own imagination.

It's nothing but self indulgent rubbish and I certainly won't be reading his second book and throwing more money at him. He truly is a despicable man. He looks down on everybody else when in reality it is he who is the lowest of the low.

Epson WorkForce WF-3520DWF 4-in-1 Printer with Double-sided Printing
Epson WorkForce WF-3520DWF 4-in-1 Printer with Double-sided Printing
Offered by jj-pc-store

4.0 out of 5 stars Product and function is excellent. Getting it to work via Wi-fi; not so straight forward, 12 Jan 2014
I'm not going to go into a long winded review detailing the printer and all it can offer, the specification and description above does that, but needless to say it's a great printer.

The biggest draw for me was the double sided scanning/printing and the ability to print over Wi-fi.

First off the double sided scanning and printing works like a dream and saves so much paper so no complaints there.

The biggest problem I had with this printer - at least initially - is with the setting up of the Wi-fi. First of all, the quick setup and basic setup guides offer no help on this at all, merely how to set up using USB. So I thought I'd try this on my own but seeing as a few other reviewers on here have had trouble setting up using the installation CD I decided to use the web install. All was well up until it tried to detect the printer and....then the software crashed with the error "Epson Install Navi for X86 has stopped working", leaving no option but to close the software down, with no way to start it up again without reinstalling, only for the same error to occur. At this point I referred to the Epson documentation but it was no help at all. Even going through a Google search showed nothing other than a possible problem with my Windows Installer (I use Windows 7 32bit, service pack 1). After numerous tutorials I still wasn't able to detect the printer and the Epson software again kept crashing so I decided to set it up via USB just so I could use it.

After trying out many different routes but to no avail I decided to try to scan for the printer manually by simply clicking on the Start button on the taskbar, followed by Devices and Printers. From here I clicked on Add A Device and as if by magic my computer managed to find it all by itself! I selected it and allowed it to install the drivers I had previously installed. Since then it's worked like a charm. I also used this method on another desktop PC and a laptop (all running Windows 7, and all failed when using the Epson software when trying to scan for the printer) and it worked flawlessly on each machine.

Now that I have got it set up on my wireless network and printing from numerous machines I am very happy but unfortunately I can't give this the full five stars due to Epson's pretty terrible documentation, meaning I had to discover the solution for myself.

One more thing, the Epson Scan software seems to work independently of the printer drivers and as such scanning over the Wi-fi network needs to be configured separately but this is something else that is not detailed in the printer manuals and again I had to stumble across the solution myself.

The solution is to simply start up the Epson Scan Settings application from the Start Menu. From there you must change the connection from local to network and then click on Add. It will scan for the printer's IP address and once found you can select this and then test so make sure there is a connection across your network. You will now be able scan and send your files wirelessly to any device that is connected to your printer at the time. Please note you only need to do this if you are intending to scan using Wi-fi. If you are using a USB connection then keep the setting to Local.

I know this was long winded but I just wanted to share my experiences with you all out there and to say that the printer itself is excellent but Wi-fi setup is not as straight forward as it could have been. I hope this helps :)

Pure Argan Oil. 100% Organic. 100ml. For Face Body Hair Nails
Pure Argan Oil. 100% Organic. 100ml. For Face Body Hair Nails
Offered by Billy in the Tree

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - so I have been told :), 12 Jan 2014
I bought this product for my girlfriend and she is very impressed with it. As I have not tried it myself I really can't say, but as I am writing the review on her behalf I must say there are no complaints at all from her.

She uses it nightly on her face and hair and she says that for the short time she can already see improvements so all is well.

As for the seller, they were prompt and got the item to me, well packaged and within the delivery estimate so again top marks! Would certainly recommend both the product and the seller to friends and family :)

Babyliss 7498CU 15 Piece Clipper Set, Blue
Babyliss 7498CU 15 Piece Clipper Set, Blue
Offered by Ukdapper

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault it, 1 Jan 2014
Admittedly I didn't buy this from Amazon but I've been using the product now for well over a year and have no complaints at all.

Cheap and cheerful, yet well built. The battery doesn't have an amazingly long capacity but it lasts more than long enough to get 1 or 2 full haircuts in between charges but even if it dies in the middle of a cut (this hasn't happened to me but as it gets older the battery will start to wear out) it can be plugged in and used corded. People have complained that when using it cordless it's not very powerful, well my hair is quite thick and grows very quickly and it has no problem at all cutting through my wool.

The motor is quiet and gives a nice smooth cut and in all the time I've had it I've not had a single nick or had my hair snagged and pulled by it.

There's not a lot else to say really, it does its job and in my experience it does it well. No complaints from me :)

Yoga-Mad Nosebuddy - Blue
Yoga-Mad Nosebuddy - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 5 Nov 2013
I have suffered from chronic nasal congestion for a long time.

It has caused me no end of problems, not least that it adversely affected my sleep and caused me to wake frequently with a dry mouth. I used to rely on nasal sprays, and although these work well you're advised not to use them long term as they can cause damage and even dependence, meaning you have to wean yourself off them. They also caused me to have frequent nosebleeds which, again caused me a lot of inconvenience, especially when it happened at work.

Recently I decided enough was enough and looked into alternatives, which is when I discovered a lot of people on various forums talking about the benefits of neti pots. I didn't get one right away, as I was hoping my congestion would go on its own, but it just would not let up.

Eventually I decided to get this product, thinking that it couldn't cause any harm, even though, regardless of the glowing reviews I was still not expecting it to work.

What can I say? After my first day of use I could breathe a lot better (for the first few days I was using it twice a day, I've now dropped that to once per day)and I have to say that after getting over the initial discomfort it really is a pleasure to use and my nose has felt clear ever since. Admittedly I've only been using it for a few days but already I'm feeling the benefit. I'm going to bed on a night with a clear head, and waking up still clear, and I've not used my nasal spray since the day this amazing item arrived though to help ensure my nose stays clear in the dead of night I do wear a nasal strip, but this is something I intend to stop.

I will write a follow up review once I've been using my neti for a while, but early signs are definitely encouraging, it's really quite a liberating thing being able to breathe properly through my nose again :)

Regarding the neti pot itself, it may have a slightly dubious design but in actual fact it's perfect for the task it is designed to perform. The instructions are also very clear and the breathing exercises work very well, even for someone who isn't into yoga, like myself. If only I'd discovered this years ago, I could have saved myself a fortune on nasal sprays, not to mention countless sleepless nights!

Highly recommended.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy Upgrade from my Kindle Keyboard, 2 Feb 2013
Previous to getting the Paperwhite for Christmas I had a good old Kindle Keyboard which I adored. Initially I was unsure about upgrading as I didn't have a problem with my KK and I had read a lot of people complaining about the uneven lighting on the Paperwhite.

Eventually I decided to give it a try as I wanted some way of reading at night without disturbing my girlfriend by having the lamp on (I didn't have a lighted case for my KK and from what I'd seen they weren't all that great anyway). Eventually I decided that I'd like a Paperwhite and I have to say that upon receiving it on Christmas day I rarely go anywhere without it.

I'm not going to go into the technical aspects of the device as so many other people have done and I'd just be repeating what others have said, but what I will say is that I feel it's the best Kindle yet, by a long way. The lighting causes no issues whatsoever although, in a perfectly dark room it is possible to see a very slight shadowing at the very bottom of the screen, but this is outside of the readable area and therefore is for the most part not noticeable, in fact after a while I stop seeing it altogether so it's certainly not a problem.

In fact the only problem I have is that Amazon like to say how much they want the technology not to get in the way of the reading, hence becoming invisible, and for the most part they've achieved this, but I feel that by making the page turning only active by touching the screen is slightly going against this, I would much rather have the physical buttons like on the older Kindle models so that I'm not having to reach my fingers over the text to turn the page as it just doesn't feel natural, whereas having the buttons on the sides was a much more intuitive way. That said, it's only a minor gripe and certainly doesn't spoil my enjoyment of my books.

For anyone that is, like I was, undecided on whether or not to upgrade, I say give it a go, especially if having a lighted screen is important to you. I loved my KK, but I love the Paperwhite even more and for me it's the best Kindle yet.

Oh, and to make it better still I recommend getting one of the magnetic cases to go with it. I got the Onyx Black official case and, while a little expensive it is very stylish and the way it wakes the Kindle upon opening the case and puts it to sleep when closing it is brilliant and it's just another little step to making it feel more natural just like reading a paper book, only without all the dog eared pages :)

Native Remedies PetAlive Cushex Drops 50ml - Treatment to Help Relax Overactive Andrenal Gland in Cats & Dogs
Offered by Troo Health Care

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Vetoryl, 11 Mar 2012
Our 14 year old dog was diagnosed with Cushings about a year ago. Initially our vet put her on Vetoryl and had us go back regularly for ACTH stimulation tests to see how she was getting on with them. Naturally this was becoming rather expensive and also quite distressing for our dog and we didn't like to see her this way.

Whilst on the Vetoryl we noticed very little improvement - she was still wetting a lot and also sleeping a great deal, she didn't seem interested going out and doing anything so I decided to go online and see if there was an alternative that maybe wasn't so harsh for her (due to the effects of Cushings her livers are also quite badly damaged so I was concerned that the Vetoyl may be too strong for her) and this is how I got to learn of Cushex Drops.

At first I was skeptical but at a fraction of the price of a month's supply of Vetoryl I thought it was worth a shot. I also believed that even if they didn't work for her then the fact that Cushex is a herbal medicine it couldn't do her any harm. I waited until we'd finished the last box of Vetoryl and then started her on the Cushex. This was around 6 months ago and even now we're still only using the Cushex, and we haven't been back to the vets since. We give her three doses a day with food and the improvement is impressive to say the least! She's more alert and active, more like her old self again, she's no longer losing her fur at the rate she was on Vetoryl, and it's also in much better condition. She still drinks quite a bit due to the advanced stages of Cushings but her wetting is under far more control now - it appears we've got a much more happy and contented dog and she seems far more comfortable which is all we ever wanted for her.

I am aware that by taking her off the Vetoryl we may have actually shortened her life, but since Cushings is not really curable in an older dog I highly doubt it's by much, but I truly believe that it was the right decision as her quality of life has improved dramatically. The constant trips to the vets were distressing for both us and our dog and now that we are no longer doing that she's much happier, and all we hope is that she will end her days like this.

EDIT 03/11/13:

Well sadly we lost our beloved dog on 24/10/13 but we kept her on Cushex right until the last moment and I still believe that it was the right course of action for her. In the end it was just old age that took hold, she lost control of her bowels and also her back end was causing her considerable discomfort as she struggled to walk so we took the very difficult decision to have her put to sleep.

This being said I still firmly believe that we would have had to have her put to sleep a lot sooner if we'd have kept her on Vetoryl. Her quality of life was much more important to us than anything and right up until the last moment, although she was struggling, she was always happy to see us and always made the effort to greet us. I truly believe that Cushex really helped her, and made her more comfortable, as her wetting almost completely stopped until her insides had given up completely a few weeks ago. I cannot recommend this product enough and if I could give it more than 5 stars I definitely would.

Although it was heartbreaking to have to let her go I take comfort in knowing that we did the best for her and that Cushex really did help her live out her final days as normally as a 15 and a half year old dog possibly could.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2014 2:55 PM BST

Zombie Apocalypse! (Mammoth Books)
Zombie Apocalypse! (Mammoth Books)
by Stephen Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars What World War Z should have been, 7 Jan 2012
Having recently read World War Z, which I found massively disappointing I was unsure of whether to give this a go but I decided to largely due to its presentation (pages laid out like emails, diary entries etc) and I have to say I'm finding it a great read and hard to put down.

Like World War Z, Zombie Apocalypse's story is told through a range of personal accounts surrounding the zombie outbreak. I found World War Z far too convoluted and political for its own good and I quickly lost interest, finding it a real chore to read through to the end.

But that's where the similarities end, because Zombie Apocalypse it centred around a more "human" aspect instead of page upon page of interviews from people in military and government officials, people in this book are simple everyday people just trying to survive and the fact that each character is written by a different author, it really lends the book an air of authenticity. I find each individual account of their own personal experiences a real joy (if that's the right word) and I love how things develop from a simple virus outbreak into a full-on worldwide pandemic. Also the fact that it's set in the UK is a big plus, as they talk about everyday things and places that we all recognise, again giving the book some real authenticity. It's not a long book by any means, due to its layout and fairly thick pages, but I found it to be both harrowing, dramatic and descriptive in equal measures, without going overboard and taking you away from the story. The way the book is written really does give you an idea of what it must have been like to be living through such a dangerous time. One story in particular stands out here, centering around an old lady trapped in a block of flats, alone. She talks of how she lost her husband, her ill health and how she made friends with a young girl only to have her taken away from her by "The Death". Throughout her story her writing gradually gets more erratic as her health and mind fades, eventually getting to a point where she can write no more, and is consumed either by her failing bodily functions, or a zombie attack, or both. This is just a small example of how this book focuses more on the human aspect instead of the more out and out gruesomeness of other books, though that's not to say that this book doesn't have its fair share of blood and gore, it just doesn't overshadow the main theme.

I'm not going to go any further, for fear of spoiling it for anyone who is wanting to read the book, but I urge anyone who is interested in anything undead related and wants to read something a little different to give this book a try, even if it's just to have a look at the original and interesting way the book is written and presented.

Amazon Kindle Keyboard Leather Cover, Black  [will only fit Kindle Keyboard (3rd Generation)]
Amazon Kindle Keyboard Leather Cover, Black [will only fit Kindle Keyboard (3rd Generation)]

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for protecting your beloved Kindle, 22 Sep 2011
I bought a Kindle around a week ago but upon seeing how thin and delicate (although very well built) it looked, I decided getting a cover for it was the best course of action.

Although a tad expensive, it's a very stylish and fits the Kindle very well, with 2 little metal hooks slotting into your Kindle's left hand side and holding it securely in place. The soft micro fibre interior is also of a high quality and will really look after that precious screen well.

There's not really a lot else I can say about it. It looks smart and protects the Kindle perfectly, which is all anyone would want from a cover. The way it holds the Kindle in place is really good and it is obvious that a lot of thought had gone into the design of this.

For anyone owning a Kindle I recommend buying a cover to protect it and given that this is official Kindle you know you're getting a good product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4