Profile for Bri > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Philips Nivea Coolskin HS8060 Moisturizing Rotary Rechargeable Shaving System
Philips Nivea Coolskin HS8060 Moisturizing Rotary Rechargeable Shaving System

4.0 out of 5 stars Closest Shave yet!!, 31 Dec 2007
Not much to say apart from great shaver at an absolutely fantastic price!!
This is the second Coolskin shaver I've owned but after my first one broke down I bought a Remington Titanium and I have to say, after using my Remington for a couple of years I really missed the feeling that Coolskin gives during shaving. This shaver gives the closest shave I've ever had from an electric shaver and it really compares to wet shaving. The charging station is good because it automatically fills the shaver back up with moisturising cream while charging which I think is a great idea.
The only downside to this is that the battery life isn't all that good. For a 1 and a half hour charge time you get 40 minutes shave time.
But this is a minor gripe. I highly recommend this shaver if you want an affordable, comfortable shave that doesn't cost a fortune. Well done Amazon for offering this brilliant product at such an amazing price!!

Metal Slug Anthology (PSP)
Metal Slug Anthology (PSP)

5.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the (not so distant) past!!, 5 Mar 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I read a feature on Gamespy about this recently saying its graphics are not particularly good. Now here's my view, they're hand drawn and animated extremely smoothly. In short they are rather stunning especially considering the age of the game and they definitely put a lot of newer games to shame. There's a lot going on, with explosions and loads of enemies all on screen at once and the framerate holds up pretty well considering the sheer amount of on screen action.

This compendium contains Metal slugs 1-5, also included is a reworking of Metal slug 2, named Metal Slug X, and the new Metal Slug 6. So that's 7 full on arcade perfect games for your 30, not bad at all :) Fast, fun, frantic, but quite difficult at times.

There's nothing more to be said apart from, if you own a PSP (and really, if you don't, why not?) then you must own this game, it's a delicious slice of retro gaming. Essential.

Sony PlayStation 3 Console (60GB Premium Version)
Sony PlayStation 3 Console (60GB Premium Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Machine of the future...NOW!!, 26 Feb 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
As another review stated I am also concerned about the apparent lack of demand for this product. I pre-ordered one as soon as Sony announced the offical launch date (not with Amazon admittedly, although their deals are pretty good). I think a big problem is the price of the system. True it does seem like a lot of money to shell out but when you look at what you're getting for that price it doesn't seem all that bad. Blu-ray players on their own are 800 - 1000 so having one built into the PS3 already makes it sound more attractive. Add to that it has a built in hard drive 3 times that of the Xbox 360, and also it is a lot higher spec. Also one reviewer stated that games are more expensive than their 360 counterparts. This is rubbish as they're both priced the same - around 40 on Amazon and around 50 in shops. I have also been on a lot of forums looking to see if the PS3 has any inherent flaws like the 360 overheating and crashing problem and have come up with nothing which is a really good sign. Sony expect the PS3 to have a life of around 10 years and I really see no reason why this isn't possible. I can't say the same of the Xbox 360. It also looks a lot smarter than 360 with its chrome lines. Oh, and if you was to buy all the add ons for the 360 such as the HD DVD player and other bits and pieces you end up with roughly the price of the PS3. Does it still sound so expensive?

Microsoft Blue Wireless Optical Mouse
Microsoft Blue Wireless Optical Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Over 3 years and still going strong., 17 Jan 2007
I find it strange when I read other reviews of this item and people have that problem with the left click only working while the mouse in moving. I've had this mouse for over 3 and a half years and it's still going strong. I love my FPS games and they work like a dream with this mouse, highly accurate, similar performance to a wired mouse.

Also the fact that the wheel clicks while you're scrolling makes life far easier playing an FPS, especially if you use the wheel to change weapons. It may only be small but this clicking action is missing from most mice these days and it is for this reason that I am very reluctant to buy a new mouse even if there are better ones on the market.

Philips DVD+RW Drive DVDRW416K
Philips DVD+RW Drive DVDRW416K

1.0 out of 5 stars STAY CLEAR OF THIS ONE!!, 28 April 2006
Ok well where to start. Firstly i bought this drive from Amazon when it was on special offer. Initially I was pleased, it looks good, and so I thought it seemed to perform really well, only this was the calm before the storm. A couple of months after i bought it things started to go a bit awry. To start with it wouldn't recognise certain CD ROMS (Branded) but then it would play and write to and DVD perfectly. This gradually got worse until it stopped reading and writing to CD's altogether. I got in touch with Amazon who did offer me a full refund but I decided to get in touch with Philips who offered to replace the drive which they did. Once again I was happy, until after a couple of months or so the problem resurfaced, almost under idential circumstances. Though in addition to this sometimes it now decided it can't read or write DVD's either. This problem has got worse still because now the disc tray motor has failed completely and it won't even open up to let me take out a DVD that I've got stuck inside it. So in just over a year I've had 2 drives, both with the same problem. Sure, it looks nice and does work well when it works but in my experience it's prone to failure at the worst possible moments. Terrible stuff.

Nintendo DS Handheld Console (Silver)
Nintendo DS Handheld Console (Silver)

3.0 out of 5 stars DS, 16 Nov 2005
Ok this isn't really a review as I don't actually own a DS and never will. My heart lies with the PSP. But I'm sick of seeing reviews that compare both DS and PSP. This is just plain sad. Am I asking too much to be able to see what other people think of the machine rather than just harp on about how much better than the PSP it is and vice versa?
I thought not. So please let's cut out all this childish squabbling and do a proper review of the system.
For me the DS is a competent machine but i find that the touch screen is just more of a gimmick than anything else, and the games line up leaves a lot to be desired and it is for this reason, and this reason alone why I won't be getting one in the near future.

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned
Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but not to be compared to FOTL or anything else., 19 Aug 2005
I bought this album on the day of it's release and with much scepticism after Baby's Got a temper. I must admit when baby's got a temper was released i absolutely detested it, i just hated the little sample of firestarter at the start of the track. It has now grown on me but admittedly there is just no place for that sort of sound on AONO and I'm very glad that it was omitted from the album.
I have been a fan of the Prodigy's work since the days of Everybody In the Place. Each album has been so different to the other and for me that has been the attraction as it's meant that the Prodigy's sound has always stayed fresh and unique.

The same applies to AONO. It has been compared to FOTL but in my opinion this is wrong. If it were the same or similar to FOTL there would be complaints left, right and centre about it being nothing new whereas as it stands AONO has a sound all of it's own and is much better for it.

I have no idea why it's taken me so long to review this album considering I have owned it since it's release and still play it regularly. I just thought I'd put the record straight.
My only gripe is that even though they're still part of the group, there's no sign of Keith and Maxim on this album. I hope this is rectified for any forthcoming albums as they're an integral part of the group.
In my opinion it can't be compared to any of their previous work as it has a completely different sound, and yet it is still distinctly Prodigy at heart.

Area 51 (PS2)
Area 51 (PS2)
Offered by funfair games
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars ......so far!, 30 May 2005
This review is from: Area 51 (PS2) (Video Game)
Ok here it is...I first heard of this game about a year ago. At that time i was a regular reader of the official ps2 mag. In this mag i read a preview of Area 51, which, although intriguing i was pretty sceptical mainly because the people behind it were Midway (really only known for the Mortal Kombat series and the sub-standard Suffering). I doubted that it would ever amount to anything more than a run of the mill FPS. Where FPS games are concerned I'm pretty selective, I usually only buy them for my PC (other FPS that I own are Doom 3, Painkiller and Pariah) with only Killzone being the only noteworthy fps on the ps2 (which I also own). I have to admit I did not buy this game from amazon, I actually bought it from a local games shop. The reason for this firstly was the packaging. I've never seen a game on ps2 be so well presented!! Sad as it may seem, but the way I see it the more attractively packaged something is, the more likely it is to sell, and this game is superbly presented in it's reflective steel case which looks miles better than the standard green tack that xbox owners have to put up with (1-0 to ps2 then). I'm pleased to say that it was money very well spent as it is a very polished game, from the excellent FMV, to the brilliant voice acting and suitably moodly electronic score that accompanies the action. Area 51 is very fast, very detailed in all department and is non-stop action all the way. Undeniably these days the ps2 is starting to show its age in the graphics department but even running on ps2 with 3 allies and countless enemies (all very detailed), explosions and other graphical special effects it still runs like a dream with no hint of slowdown at all!! It is a triumph of programming considering how limiting the ps2 hardware is these days. The story too is top notch sci fi fare, and anyone into conspiracy theories and alien experimentation will not be disappointed. this game should appeal to virtually anybody. It will appeal to die hard fps fans, sci fi fans, horror fans, near enough everyone!!! It truly is a great game and I find it difficult to find anything particularly wrong with it. Midway, I applaud you!!

X2 - The Threat (PC)
X2 - The Threat (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Unbelieveable!, 8 Mar 2004
This review is from: X2 - The Threat (PC) (Video Game)
I bought this game on the strength of word of mouth alone. I'm not familiar with the first game of this series so i didn't really know much about it, other than the freeform element of the gameplay which interested me the most. Having just recently splashed out on a new 3D Prophet 9800Pro graphics card i decided i needed a game that could push my card to its limits. In this respect X2 doesn't disappoint, it's graphics are amazing, they have to be seen to be believed. Performance wise it's not such a good story. My pc has 512mb RAM, an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor, and 120 gb hdd and the graphics card i have already mentioned. But performance was far from outstanding, the game had a tendency to slow down, i was getting an average of 30fps in the benchmark tests but once disabling the realtime shadows (which hasn't really made an impact on the game visually) i have now got an average of 61fps. The game itself is incredible, it takes a while to learn the controls as there's so much to think about, but once you get the hang of it there'll be no stopping, the hours will just fly by. One small gripe i have is the cut scenes and the voice acting, both are dire, it tends to take the atmosphere out of the game somewhat but really i'm just nitpicking here as the rest of the game is so polished and so freeform it's unbelieveable, the scale of this game is immense and there's always something new to find. It's an incredible game, a dream to play, but be warned, if you're running this on anything but the highest spec machine you may have to make some sacrifices to keep the game running smoothly. Overall a definite must-buy.

Blackthorne
Blackthorne

4.0 out of 5 stars Great handheld version of a classic game., 4 Mar 2004
This review is from: Blackthorne (Video Game)
Ah this brought back memories. I remember this game first appearing on the snes back in 1994 (i know, i couldn't believe that this was 10 years old either!!). Back then it was one of my favourite games of all time, it was so addictive, never before had i played such a great and compelling side scrolling shooter. True games have certainly come on a lot since then, especially graphically, but Blackthorne, despite looking a little dated, especially when compared to the splinter cells of this world, is still one of the most enjoyable games around. A worthy addition to anyone's gba sp collection.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4