Profile for ... > Reviews

Further Pure Mathematics
Further Pure Mathematics
by Brian Gaulter

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 23 Aug. 2012
I bought this for AQA further maths, to accompany the dreadful textbooks that are provided by the exam board. How different this is to those free textbooks!

It covers all the topics in FP2, FP3 and FP4, but be aware it does not cover the topics for FP1 (this is not an issue though, given that other module-specific textbooks can be found for it, unlike for FP2, FP3 and FP4).

There are generous explanations, multiple examples and more than enough questions to achieve confidence and proficiency with the topics. Also, some of the questions in the book that are lifted from past papers are also in the official textbooks, so you can be sure they are following with the same standard.

There are a few minor typos but these are usually insignificant and can be easily verified.

I genuinely cannot recommend this highly enough - if you put in the time doing the exercises , it will surely pay off!

Easy Steps to Chinese: Workbook v. 1
Easy Steps to Chinese: Workbook v. 1
by Yamin Ma

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 8 Mar. 2008
An absolutely brilliant book for beginners trying to learn chinese on their own, and with little or no previous knowledge.

The workbook has over 150 colour pages of clear tasks and exercises to work through. The textbook comes with an audio CD and has information -guided with the CD- and exercises as well.

Very easy to use and beginner friendly, it explains everything and builds your confidence in manageable bites.

Though it may appear to be aimed at a younger audience, it is also perfectly suitable for adults trying to learn the language. It is child friendly of course, and like I said, you do not need a teacher or chinese speaker to learn.

I cannot speak highly enough of it, and recommend it to anyone trying to learn chinese.

Great!

Harry Potter Boxed Set  (Adult Edition) (Contains all 7 books in the series)
Harry Potter Boxed Set (Adult Edition) (Contains all 7 books in the series)
by J. K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 18 Nov. 2007
First of all I would just like to point out ho nice it is to have an adult version of an originally children's text: I can read it at the same time as my ten year old daughter and still keep my dignity!

A stunning set of escapist books, that might be slightly hard for readers younger than 9 to digest, but none-the-less brilliant. They combine everything a set of books should have: courage, bravery, kindness, reason, irritation, humour, and of course, and good bad guy (if that makes sense).

I would recommend it to anyone even if they hate reading. It's a great price for the number of time you can read them! (I have read the first one 5 times....need I say more?!)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2007 4:21 PM GMT

Double Trouble & A Window to the Past for Strings (selections from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban): Violin (with Piano Acc.) (Book & CD)
by John Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 17 Nov. 2007
Fantastic tunes with a great accompany CD. I didn't recognise the tunes by name, so here is some help: a window to the past I can't really describe but it is beautiful Double Trouble is the longer version of the recurring tune of Double bubble, Toil and trouble.

Love Harry Potter and this book makes it even better. A glossy cover and clearly printed music. The book has the piano music and then a booklet inside with the violin music.

The CD has a demo of each song witha solo of the tune you play, and then a tune with just the backing music so you play as the soloist. They sound beautiful with the soloist. Please note that the songs do sound better with vibrato, but if you can't yet, they still sound amazing!

A truly fantastic book and CD I have already recommended to all my violin-playing friends!

What a fantastic price, get it now!

Rapid Chinese: Vol. 1: 200+ Essential Words And Phrases Anchored into Your Long Term Memory with Great Music (Earworms)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 27 Oct. 2007
After reading the reviews above and some consultation with other sites, I decided to buy this Rapid Chinese Volume 1 book.

I always thought learning a language so different to our own would prove difficult and even frustrating. I have to say my opinion is quite the contrary: within minutes you can speak short phrases and piece together sentences that are actually useful! I simply cannot express how pleased I am with this book and audio CD...it has worked brilliantly and you can listen to it any where!

But (sorry, I hate doing a big 'but') the way this advertisement puts itself across is as though you learn the chinese language through song. No. Actually, you simply have a man and a woman talking and teaching you chinese with music in the background -the speech has no particular rhythm and the music really just makes it more entertaining.

I don't know how it works -neither do I want to- but something about this book and CD really works. I have been studying French for three years and German for 2 years, and I think it is fair to say that my language lessons and nothing compared to this marvellous book. You can remember everything you learn and that is saying something...I have the memory of a seive and can still learn and remember key phrases.

I can't speak highly enough of it, but beware, this is more of a business book than a pleasure book (meaning you learn how to order tickets, book things, and use a taxi, not talk about yourself and what you like).

Fantastic!

Nintendogs Dalmatian & Friends (Nintendo DS)
Nintendogs Dalmatian & Friends (Nintendo DS)

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm..., 9 Oct. 2007
I got this free with my Nintendo DS. The graphics are fantastic, very realistic and VERY cute. It makes great use of the touch screen. However:

-you can really only spend about 10 minutes on it per day
-it gets really boring very quickly
-the voice recognition sounds good and is quite fun the first few times...then it is incredibly annoying as you pitch has to be perfect
-extremely overpriced, only get if free or up to £5

So I'm sorry to say it's a really rather terrible game : (
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, and don't buy it unless you're a millionaire.

Sorry to be so pessimistic : )

Hope this helps!

Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo DS)
Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 9 Oct. 2007
Well what can I say. I had never considered getting a DS until I played this at my friend's house. I'll sum it up in a few bullets:

-very good graphics
-fun for hours and hours
-fun even when you've completed the game
-you can play as all 4 characters (yoshi, mario, luigi, wario)
-good storyline
-BRILLIANT to play multiplayer, though we usually make up games like tag, 40 40 home, and hide and seek when in multiplayer mode
-challenging
-not repetitive
-can be very hard to get hold of in high street shops, and even if you do find it, it will be atleast £30
-over all FANTASTIC!

I must point out that when you ask for this game in shops they will most likely tell you it is a very old game, not very good on the DS because it is 3D and they will probably recommend Super Mario Bros. They will also tell you rather annoyingly to trust them because they work in a DS store. They are wrong! I have been playing Mario games since the original black and white gameboy, in gameboy colour, gameboy advance SP and now nintendo DS. It works really well in 3D format!

Overall a fantastic game, I would recommend it to anyone with a DS, even if the price is a bit offputting!

Hope this helps!

Jumpin' Jim's '60s Uke-In
Jumpin' Jim's '60s Uke-In
by Various

4.0 out of 5 stars Funky!, 6 Oct. 2007
It's a great book with many tunes even kids will recognise. The chords are adapted brilliantly and it's great fun to play you favourites on a ukulele. It has a chord glossary at the beginning to help you and it has both chord a individual notes parts for all of the tunes.

I would like to point out however that this is not a beginners book. The chords can get very tricky and do so in nearly all of the tunes. However, with some previous playing you'll be fine (I would say 6-8 months, or in the case of a dedicated player, about 2 months). For example, have you ever tried playing a D flat major seventh?

But don't let this put you off! It's a great book: a challenge for competant players and a funky tune book for experts. I really recommend it to all uke players!