Profile for Mr. Nigel Hackney > Reviews

3inch Screen Insulin Cooler 2-8°C Refrigerated Box Drug Reefer Car refrigerator
3inch Screen Insulin Cooler 2-8°C Refrigerated Box Drug Reefer Car refrigerator
Offered by EleoptionUK

2.0 out of 5 stars If only it actually worked, it would be great., 9 April 2016
I bought one of these (from elsewhere) for the storage of insulin on holiday. Although it is a fairly expensive piece of kit, if it did what it claimed - kept its contents at 2 to 8 degrees C for up to 8 hours on battery power - then I think it would be worth every penny. Unfortunately, the one I received did not work as described.

The key function of the cooler is that it is supposed to cool to 2 to 8

degrees C, since reliably achieving this low temperature is critical for the storage of insulin. I tested the one I got thoroughly, on mains power, 12v power and battery power. At a normal ambient room temperature of around 20 degrees C, the inside of the cooler cooled to 12 degrees C at best, even when set to cool to 2 degrees C. In a warm car, with an ambient temperature of around 30 degrees C, the inside of the cooler cooled to 20 degrees C at best.

Whether the one I got was simply faulty, or whether these coolers in general just don't perform properly, I don't really know. I have seen a handful of mixed reviews elsewhere, for the three main similar models that seem to be around at time of writing (April 2016). I assume that if these coolers worked well then they would be more widely available, since I am sure there would be some demand for them. Given that they do not really appear to be readily available, I guess I draw my own conclusion.

On the upside, for anyone else minded to give these thigs a try, I can confirm that this model perfectly fits the standard Novarapid 10ml insulin vial, which I think is the normal insulin vial most UK pump users use. It would take seven of them in a lovely row. Or it would take four 10ml vials plus a few (4-5) 3ml pen cartridges as a backup. As far as I could tell from the listings, this is the only one of the three models around which would fit the 10ml vials - the others appear to be too shallow.

So, if only it actually worked, then it would be a fantastic thing to have. I gave it two stars, not the minimum of one, just for fitting 10ml vials & I guess someone might have a use for it even if it doesn't perform fully.

Zowaysoon 2-8℃ Portable Insulin Cooler USB Refrigerated Box Drug Reefer Car Small Refrigerator for Insulin
Offered by GNMART GLOBAL

2.0 out of 5 stars If only it actually worked, it would be great., 9 April 2016

The key function of the cooler is that it is supposed to cool to 2 to 8

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 1 Mar. 2012
I don't normally post reviews, but wanted to save people the trouble of buying and then returning this. Its rubbish. The arm and clip are too weak to hold the head, so it doesn't stay in position in front of the mic, which rather defeats the point.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2016 4:11 AM BST

Spitfire
Spitfire
by Jeremy Flack

4.0 out of 5 stars Jeremy Flack - Spitfire Books - Different Editions, 21 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Spitfire (Paperback)
As another reviewer has noted, there are several editions of this book, or several in the series (whichever way you want to look at it). I have the 1985, 1992 and 1994 ones, so I'll explain what is in which.

I don't claim this to be a page-by-page analysis, but generally the 1985 and 1992 ones are completely different. The 1994 edition then contains all of the 1985 one and some (around half) of the 1992 one. So, if you want the lot, you need the 1992 edition and one of the other two.

There is apparently a 1996 edition, but I don't have that one. Amazon says it only has 80 pages, which seems odd. If anyone can compare that edition with one of the others, I would like to hear about it.

Anyway, essentially they all contain lots of great photos of many of the currently-flying Spitfires. So, if that's your thing, then these are the books for you.

Spitfire: The Legend Lives on (Osprey colour series)
Spitfire: The Legend Lives on (Osprey colour series)
by Jeremy Flack

Spitfire (Osprey Classic Aircraft)
Spitfire (Osprey Classic Aircraft)

4.0 out of 5 stars Jeremy Flack - Spitfire - Different Editions, 21 Sept. 2006