Profile for C. Disley > Reviews

Content by C. Disley

C. Disley "who fan" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Titanic (ITV) [DVD]
Titanic (ITV) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Toby Jones
Offered by Springwood Media

3.0 out of 5 stars One saving grace of a sinking ship, 27 July 2012
This review is from: Titanic (ITV) [DVD] (DVD)
This mini-series does not serve any purpose, really. The non-linear concept just does not work and there's really only one or two characters you have a chance of becoming attached to because they aren't desperately over-complicated. That would be Annie and Paulo. Jenna-Louise Coleman thankfully serves as one of the few high points of 'Titanic.' Even if you found it tolerable the first time, I wouldn't expect a second viewing.

It's not the worst thing ever produced for television, but it's far from great. I came for Jenna, and stayed for Jenna. The rest I could take it or leave it.

Star Trek Online (PC DVD)
Star Trek Online (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars One Year Later - Worth a second look?, 9 Feb. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Alright so it's almost one year since Star Trek: Online launched and I was there before the public-release. In a previous review on another version of the game, I labelled it as "Too much MMO, not enough Trek." Not long after that, I left the game behind, promising to return at some point due to the fast pace at which Cryptic was updating the game and introducing masses of new content in "Season" packs.

So as I said I would, I once more logged in to discover changes off the bat. Certain annoyances from the first time playing had been eliviated - at least for me. In-game perfomance had been very choppy in places, but not a problem anymore. Loading screens had been redesigned to make them more interesting. So it looks better, but that won't make the gameplay better, will it?

Since departing the game last March (?), Cryptic has updated the game a tremendous amount of times, including three "Season" updates - these are the big boys and girls with major changes. I haven't explored every option enough to list all the changes, but since my return I have noticed a lot more non-combat missions such as first-contact scenarios, supply running, exploration has recieved a revamp and the rewards are much more inticing than before. Customisation options have gone through the roof whether it be player costumes, ship design, interiors and even missions themselves.

Yes, The Foundry is a great piece of kit still in beta which allows players to create their own story and publish it for other players to play (think of LittleBigPlanet - click and play). This includes designing the NPCs taking part, the ships used (exterior and interior) and even lets you construct maps - placing planets, nebulas, asteroids, friendly/enemy contacts. It isn't just skin deep, you control the names of areas, objectives, pop-up dialogue boxes for those untimely enemy ship arrivals. So if you don't like a mission you're on... why not make one you do like for others to enjoy?

The economy system has since recieved a overhaul and is much more understable than before with it's credits, marks and other forms of currency. Social hubs are recieving overhauls, also. Earth Starbase has recieved a completely new look, inside and out, to make it more 'canon.' You even fly through the spacedoors!

The Klingon side of things have also recieved much more content to play with. I don't have a Klingon character however so I can't comment further on the new content.

But with level cap increases, new content across the board, updates and changes to missions old and new and infinate bug fixes with lots and lots of PvP and PvE content introduced - even if you had a rather-low ranking player before, it may be quite worthwhile to create a brand new one should you choose to try the game again.

So trust someone who has been in the position of disliking the game at launch - it's much more substancial these days and worth the look - with Cryptic still churning out updates and many more to come (such as a new Ground Combat system!)

Anyway, I'll leave you to it, but please... give this game another look. I'm glad I did. Even if it was just to venture out of the Bridge on my ship and explore the lower decks.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Xbox 360)
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.

5.0 out of 5 stars The series that gets better with age..., 24 Nov. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I suggest you only read this if you want mass details on the new multiplayer side of the game....

By now, if you're an assassin's creed fan, you won't need a detailed analysis of the singleplayer aspect of the game, at least, I won't be giving you one. If you're new to the series, I do highly reccommend you head for Assassin's Creed II as this game begins where the second ended... and I mean exactly where it ended.But regardless, get it anyway. The story is wonderful and the gameplay is excellent - that's all you need from me.

But enough of that, something marvellous has arrived to your gaming consoles along the lines of: Assassin's Creed + Multiplayer = Inspired. Ever since the first game, I, and yourself (even if you didn't realise it)have wished to partake in skillful assassinations with friends and strangers from around the world. That wish has now been granted - with a handful of customisation to go with it. If you haven't realised already, this is a look at the multiplayer side of the Assassin's Creed Franchise within Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. So lets take a look at what you can do with your profile!

The multiplayer gives you the choice to outfit a multitude of "personas" as you are an asbergos (sp?) agent who is in training to become an assassin and as such, are practicing your skills against other agents all logged into the animus. Yes, they even gave a backstory to the multiplayer! These personas include the intimidating Executioner, the masked Doctor, the beautiful but deadly Courtesan, the suspicious Smuggler and man more. As you level up through experience, you are given the option to make changes to these personas, whether it be gear or simply the colours of their outfits - so make yours unique.

Maps: The maps in ACB's multiplayer are a mixture of unique MP maps and entire areas that you may recognise from the SP game. Uncle Mario's villa for example, or Forli.

Gamemodes now, at least, the gamemodes I have unlocked. To start off, you are given two: Wanted and Manhunt.

WANTED: In wanted, you are your own assassin playing a game of cat and mouse. With a twist. You are both the cat and the mouse. For this gamemode you are given the option to chose your own persona, choose quickly to get the one you want as each player gets their own on a first come, first serve basis. Once in the world, you are given a "radar" at the bottom of your screen which fills up as you get closer to your target. Don't expect an indicater above the head of your victim as you are only given a rough estimate as to where they are. Once this bar lights up, your target, so act natural because you still don't know who they are. Remember, these worlds are overly populated with computer controlled characters as you would expect in the SP world - so your target could be anywhere. But here comes the twist. While you are stalking your prey, someone close behind you has been following YOU on their radar. So even if you do get your kill, the assassin who has been trying to find you may have just seen it and as such, you have now got a red blob over your head. What happens next is familiar. Your attacker gives chase and to lose him, you have to hide in the places you would expect - on benches, in hay stacks, or blending in plain sight. It may sound a bit slow, but it isn't. The tension is high and the death just keeps on coming.

MANHUNT: Manhunt is a team based game. One side are the "attackers" and the other side are the "victims." As an attacker, you get the same advantages as if you were playing wanted. You have your radar and a direction to a member of the enemy team. As a victim, you don't have this radar. You only have your senses. This is where paranoia really kicks in. I have been known to start running away from innocent civilians just because they turned towards me too suddenly. This, however, has revealed my location and gets me killed. Something to point out is that you don't get to choose your own persona (character) for this gamemode as whoever joined a team first gets to choose what your team looks like. But there are plenty of computer civilians that look just like you out there, so you won't stick out too much.

ALLIANCES: I'll be honest, I've played Manhunt and Wanted too much so I haven't had a real good go on Alliances yet. But from what I can work out, you play in three teams of two players, so I think that should make things more interesting as a team-based game.

CUSTOMISATION: As well as changing what your personas look like, levelling up also unlocks a wide range of gear for you to play with. There is the "disguise" ability for example, which lets you morph into a different persona for a limited time - good for quick getaways providing nobody sees you. There are smoke bombs to be used, useful to stun the opposition for enough time for you to run. I haven't unlocked too many things yet, but there are various perks and weapons to be had - such as the hidden pistol or sprint boost. Even these weapons can be further customised, such as changing how long your smoke bombs are effective for.

Losing/Death streaks are also available, such as the ability to reset the cooldowns for you primary perks if you are on a losing streak. Or extra precision for your attacks. Just little things to get you back on track.

You can also create different "profile sets." Think of these as weapon classes. You can create them outside of gameplay and select what you want to use in-game and you can also swap them with each death. (If you've played Call of Duty - think of "Create-a-Class" and "Choose Class" commands)

I haven't covered everything, as I haven't played it enough to have experienced everything! But I will leave you with this:

BUY IT. No really, there isn't anything out there like it. Oh and, do stop tagging call of duty for this game...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2011 2:20 PM GMT

Medal of Honor - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Medal of Honor - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by smeikalbooks

4.0 out of 5 stars Multiplayer - Intense, Realistic Damage, 2 Nov. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
For the timebeing, this is only a review for the multiplayer portion of this product. I'm sure you won't need another "the singleplayer is too short" rant! But anyhow, the online multiplayer does indeed feel like a cross between the 'close combat' Call of Duty and the 'don't run around like a maniac' Bad Company 2. You need to think about what you're doing because with the current damage system in place, you're going to need that brain of yours.

If you run out into the open, you're most likely already flanked, have a light tank coming up behind you and have three guys on the other side of the barrier cutting you off in front. Basically, you're dead. If someone puts the right amount of bullets (few) in the right amount of places (many), you're going down and there's no miraculous revival technique to save you. For this game, you won't find yourself emptying an entire clip into an enemy, only for them to survive, get killed by someone else after they kill you... and then have a medic save them. It is very balanced and quite refreshing to play.

But ultimately, if you're familiar with Call of Duty, you're familiar with Medal of Honor. You have your weapons that you can customise with their expanded magazines or red dot sights. You also still have killstreaks, but this time you get a choice between using an "offensive" killstreak (Mortar Strike / Rocket Strike) or a "defensive" killstreak (recon plane / ammo pack). The more explosive perks do pack a punch but they are very localised so don't expect to take the entire battlefield out 10 times over just because you killed 10 people in a row. This game does still reward those doing well, but gives players the option to help their team rather than help themselves and every man counts in Medal of Honor.

If you know Team Deathmatch from Call of Duty, then you know team assault. If you know Rush from Bad Company 2, then you know Team Assault. Fancy a few rounds with a little less help? Go for hardcore mode.

So what's really bad about the multiplayer? Spawn points. I've sat at my spawn and watched man after man of the enemy team spawn in sight behind a few boxes. Hopefully this will be rectified soon or a lot of players are going to find themselves continuously spawn killed for quite some time. Also, if you're prone to causing or recieving friendly fire, stay out of hardcore mode because you can, and will get killed by a member of your team at some point. Yes the beauty of it is, you can respawn and return the favour if you wish, but you will lose points by doing so.

What online environments there are look great and some maps put you into the modern world conflict by keeping the fight going outside of the map's boundries. Fighting on Kabul City Ruins? Keep a look out because you're going to see the explosive conflict ongoing all around you.

The sound quality of the game is great and I recommend grabbing yourself a set of headphones to get the most out of it

So overall is the multiplayer of the game worth the purchase? Maybe not at the full price if the Singleplayer doesn't take your fancy and you would like to wait for a patch or two. But the online portion is a fun thing to pick up and play when you have an hour or two on your hands.

Star Trek Online - Gold Edition (PC DVD)
Star Trek Online - Gold Edition (PC DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs Time...... UPDATED, 27 July 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I could sum this up in seven words if I wanted to: Too much MMO, not enough Star Trek. It's a shame, because as a huge Trek fan, the concept of a huge Star Trek universe to explore as a Starfleet officer was almost too much to handle. Games like Bridge Commander had made their own versions in modifications, but an MMO was just a whole new level. Perpetual took up the challenge but ultimately had to abort. But it was Perpetual which really bumped up my excitement many years ago with their original concept shots of the Galaxy-Class interior (to-scale.. interior).

But then they went under and Cryptic Studios (my first impression: "who?") eventually swept onto the scene and grabbed the Star Trek MMO and took it away for a while. Then nothing happened. But one day, a mysterious clock appeared and when it finished, Star Trek: Online was once more officially unveiled and the hype began again.

Fleets could build their own starbases and conduct operations out of them. You could explore strange new worlds and even name them. You could boldly go where no player had gone before and write up about it in your Captain's cabin. Or so we though.

But then, a trailer appeared. There was fighting, some more fighting and then some more fighting. Then some pictures appeared, and even more fighting was shown. This wasn't a game of Federation exploration anymore. This was a game of war. Okay, so maybe in the excitement I forgot exactly what this game was always going to be. An MMO. When the day came that I got to play, I was still very excited. Flying around the Alpha Quadrant in my own ship... not quite. For one, the Alpha Quadrant is much smaller than I originally realised and there is no warp drive... just "sector space." Where you fly around a large map, basically. Good for an MMO, so good in itself. Good for "true to the show" Trek fans? Not much.

Next, ever since seeing those Perpetual concept shots, I've been dying to walk around my ship (well actually, I was even looking forward to walking around someone elses ship). My dreams, were crushed. In order to compensate for the possibility of very tall players, ship bridges were enlarged and something which was an instant annoyance upon launch, non-existant. Only your huge Bridge was accessible, and for reasons beyond my comprehension, you beamed in and out of your bridge when changing views. There just wasn't enough interactivity to immerse me in the Star Trek Universe.

UPDATE: The large "Season Two" update has been released and the additions are very much welcome. The extra ship interiors are lovely apart from a few minor annoyances (i.e. a few too many NPCs walking about and the scale is a bit silly... more like a starbase). The minigames are wonderfully addictive. I can't comment on the raised level cap and higher level episodes because I'm not that far ahead yet (I like to take my time...). But in comparison to the game it was upon launch, it may aswell be a different one - by that I mean greatly improved. With more updates to come (including "Season Three") along the line, Star Trek Online just needs time to shape up into something well rounded and polished.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Xbox 360)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchase of the Year (thus far...), 27 July 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I never buy a game upon release (well, I had Halo 3 available on release, but it wasn't me that bought it!) so by the time I purchased Bad Company 2 in Early-Mid July for the 360, I had been given ample time to read up on reviews and a Universe of gameplay videos to watch. Did it eventually live up to the shiny expectations floating around my mind? Yes, it certainly did... in the Multiplayer alone. I don't even feel the need to review Singleplayer, because it was worth the £29 buy for the online action alone.

So what makes it fun? Well for one thing, I'll jump right in and say the availability of air transport was extreamly refreshing. That's right COD fans, no killstreaks needed (on that note, there are no killstreaks to give high ranking players an unfair advantage, huzzah)! But not just that, the gadgets, the specilisations (or "perks" if you will) and most certainly Destruction 2.0 make an interesting online experience even moreso. I am now also in a position to play this, In the few weeks I've owned the game, I've clocked in more online than Modern Warfare 2 since November 2010 - and I've certainly had more fun.

Squad based gaming is always risky, and sometimes, it's downright silly. In one "Rush" match for example, a whole 4 players (one "squad") spent their time spamming C4 on vehicles and driving off over hills and blowing them up. But no matter, three clicks later and I was in another game on the same map with no progress lost. Great! Another small annoyance is the ability to go up to backstab an enemy player, only for that enemy player to be surrounded by 3 freshly spawned squad members. Back to the spawn screen I go. Nevertheless, this hasn't stopped me loving the game.

Mortar Strikes, Motion Sensors, Defibulators, Ammo Packs and everything else in between unlocking achievements and gathering the dogtags of the players you have killed with your not-so-trusty combat knife. Many would argue that Call of Duty has the defining online multiplayer experience. But now I gladly say, after being a CoD fan myself for many years, it isn't. Have you even tried Battlefield: Bad Company 2? The unpredictable and unique moments in this game really can't be found anywhere else.

Easily a 5/5 stars from me. See you on the battlefield!

Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]

5.0 out of 5 stars It's time to start building up..., 1 July 2010
New cast, new production team, new budget... so to be honest, we had to go into this series with an open mind, just knowing that it would be different to the last five years. To be fair, after the "not-so-special" specials, the show needed a re-work, at least from my perspective. It needed a strong, energetic and fun start and The Eleventh Hour delivered. After that, it needed to not only appeal to new fans (a great jumping on point for many) but also current fans aswell. Did it work? To an extent, yes.

Overnight viewing figures declined, yes, but stop going on about it because you are missing the bigger picture. Iplayer records have been broken by Doctor Who this year and timeshift ratings are higher than ever before. People ARE still watching, but a mix of the world cup, hot weather and unconsistant scheduling has cut the live ratings. Some episodes even did better than their previous series' counterparts overall! Just remember that the lowest ratings since 2005 in it's normal timeslot was due to a world cup match...

But the series itself, I've said it again and I'll say it again, Matt Smith most certainly is the Doctor and the 11th incarnation has more alien qualities about him than both 9 and 10. Anyone still sitting on their high horse named "The tenth doctor 4eva" after a full series, needs to ride off and never come back as far as I'm concerned - the series could do without you, it really could.

Yes, this series had it's weak points and yes there was the odd filler episode. Can it improve? Yes. Will it improve? Most likely. Every show needs to find it's feet and with the amount of changes that have taken place behind and in front of the screen, Series 5 may aswell have been a different show so with the right support (not just by the BBC X_X), it should be able to build up on what we've had thus far and really go places. Can it be done? Hell yes, it can. It was always going to be a case of finding out what worked and what didn't with so many new people in so many new positions so yes, hopefully, it can only get better...

Regardless of any setbacks this series - I really enjoyed it and I'm unashamed to say so and give the new team my full support.

In terms of this disc, it contains two of THE best episodes this series. The Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang. Playing with time is fun, once you get your head around. Fezzes are cool, everyone. Peace.

Doctor Who  - Series 5, Volume 3 [DVD]
Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 3 [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Series 5 - Out with a Big Bang, 28 Jun. 2010
Three wonderful episodes on this volume so if you don't plan on getting the full series, I would at least recommend this one and the Time of Angels two-parter. Amy's Choice was a myterious episode and had bit of the classic who feel about it. Toby Jones was some inspired casting for the character of the Dreamlord and played it quite well.

The Hungry Earth seemed a bit filler-ish for the conclusion, "Cold Blood." But nevertheess, it's worth watching as it reintroduced a new tribe of Silurians - although personally, I preferred the others. More alien-like, you see.

Cold Blood contains a balance of action and diplomacy. On the one hand, the Silurian military prepare to take over the Earth, on the other, Amy helps in negotiating peace between the two owners of the planet. But with a cry of "EXECUTE HER!" it swings into gear as the Eleventh Dctor gleefully announces that it's squeeky bum time. But I wasn't prepared for what was to come and change the course of the series...

....

The following review contains SPOILERS for the Doctor Who Series 5 finale and should be viewed with caution. You have been warned....

....

.....

.......

..........

Alas, "The Big Bang" has aired and Series 5 has come to a close. In retrospect, I have really, really enjoyed this series. Full of Doctor quirks fabulously pulled off by Matt Smith. Anyone still not rating him against previous doctors needs to ride off on their high horse and stick with repeats.

"It's a fez... I wear a fez now... fezzes are cool."

One of the great features of this series for me, was, the ending. For the first time in New Who history - we got a happy ending. No deaths, no sadness, no loss. Two companions and the same Doctor heading off into the new series on a new adventure. It put a smile on my face and that smile is still there. I only wish they kept the fez. Never gonna do it without fez on....! I'd be singing it if I could.

"You'll dream about that box..."

Matt Smith was, as ever, wonderful. Playing The Doctor really suits him and so long as the character writing level remains high, I'm happy for him to stay on for quite some time. In the meantime, put your arms in the air and wave your head about in between!

"Something old... something new... something borrowed..... something blue."

I don't think the scripts and directing have been that generous to Karen Gillan this series. A bit too much shouting for my liking. But when she gets the chance she pulls it off. There was certainly a lump in my throat as she learnt of the lone centurian watching over her for almost 2000 years.

"Say it again. One... more... time."

Alex Kingston / River Song. I love this character and this actress. Such a unique character with such mystery as we progress backwards through her timeline. I'm very much looking forward to learning a lot more about her next series (we were promised by The Moff!) but at the same time, I hope some questions are left unanswered. For example... The Doctor's name! Her stand out scene for me this series was definately confronting the lone Dalek as it cried for mercy after looking her up. She's definately hiding something, but she has a good alibi - Spoilers!

"Hang on kid. This is where it gets complicated."

The prize for the scene that made me almost fall off my seat this series goes to (you were warned of spoilers) little Amelia opening the Pandorica to reveal big Amelia... Amy. Some genius writing by Steven Moffat as we find out what happened between Amy being shot and her taking The Doctor's place in the ultimate prison... albeit confused as to why the sonic screwdriver could open so many deadlocks so easily... and quite suddenly. Regardless, Moffat even threw in some harmless time travel humor. After all, this is a show about Time... don't forget that!

"Don't worry your majesty.... we're on our way."

Extra special mention to Arthur Darvill as Rory Williams giving an excellent performance this week and providing a lot of the emotional value this series. I'm thrilled that he appears to have joined the TARDIS crew permanently as he heads off with both The Doctor and Amy (in full wedding attire!) to investigate an egyptian goddess on the loose on the Orient Express..... in space.

So it is with great sadness that I bid farewell to Doctor Who and hope that Christmas can get here that much sooner. GERONIMO!
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2010 8:28 AM BST

Stargate Universe - Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Stargate Universe - Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Carlyle
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious Stargate, 28 May 2010
Leave your quick alien put downs on the other side of the wormhole because now we've been given a look into the darker side of Stargate, when things really begin to go wrong. When compared to Stargate Atlantis' premise, the SGA team were set and ready to go to Atlantis, whereas an unfortunate attack has placed a group of military and civilians on the other side of the known universe without preparation.

The Destiny is an ancient spaceship full of mystery. It was created to follow far behind stargate seeding ships, which are dropping phase 1 Stargates in galaxies across the universe, galaxy to galaxy so... guess where this unprepared group of people have ended up?

The cast is superb and getting Robert Caryle on board was a very strong move. In contrast to previous series of Stargate, there is no obvious "lead" in the cast - emphasised by the lack of a full opening credits sequence, such as Richard Dean Anderson and Joe Flanigan in the past. On that note, Richard Dean Anderson, Amanda Tapping and Michael Shanks have all made recurring guest appearances throughout the first season, which is a nice tie-in to the stargate universe (no pun intended) we already know while constantly pulling us back to the unknown.

While still visiting new and often uninviting planets (via a classic team making gate trips), we also are invited to explore the human mind under pressure in tough circumstances as we are often reminded that these are the wrong people in the wrong place. Everyone is flawed and no-one is perfect, which makes a VERY refreshing change from the norm of the past two Stargate series of classic Heroes vs Villians.

If you can't watch Stargate without the formula of the past two series, then no, this might not be for you. But at the same time, if you're willing to get into nitty gritty drama with a dose of Stargate, then what are you waiting for? We weren't made any promises about this series, we got what was made and can ask for no more. Certainly not a let down for those with an open mind.

But a start which can be viewed as "slow" certainly picks up as the season progreses, opening up new arcs aboard Destiny but also back on Earth itself....

Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 1 [DVD]
Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 1 [DVD]
Offered by produXa UK

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not as bad as your aunt!, 26 May 2010
Series 5 of this brilliant show was always going to have a rough time from fans. The minority believed that the show could not go on without David Tennant, but they often forget that it had lasted over 26 years without him. Series 1 of New-Who was fantastic, Series 2 was great, Series 3 was fun and Series 4 was an enjoyable romp with an epic undertone hidden within.

Then 2009 came along, David Tennant had announced his departure and we were treated to a few underwhelming specials. From the pure hiarity of the Cyber King (Fortunately rewritten in Series 5...) to the depressing prophecy of four knocks which haunted the 10th Doctor's final journeys. So after consecutive stories of Daleks invading Earth, Cybermen destroying London and the apparent final "death" of The Doctor (which, might I add, didn't happen)... I wanted one thing from this show. FUN!

Fish custard, fire engines, giant tongues, star whales, Churchill, jammy dodgers, bluuuuue boringers, cheese and biscuits, psycic pollen and all the while, the universe is falling apart! Interlocking with The Doctor's revitalised clumsiness and edge of seat temper PLUS the marvellous quirkiness of it all (Cake, anyone?)... I can only say that Doctor Who is most certainly back on enjoyable, lighthearted form and Matt Smith most certainly is, regardless of those who can't look past the End of Time, The Doctor - and a brilliant actor to boot. On that note, David Tennant is only featured for 1 second in this DVD, so I wish he would stop being tagged for it. But now, this product.

The three episode included are listed as: The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks

The Eleventh Hour is a lovely episodes set over quite an interesting amount of time. Whether it be asking for an apple or declaring that the Atraxi should run, at some point in this episode, Matt Smith easily stepped into the shoes of The Doctor. Some argued that he was trying too hard to be the 10th Doctor at times, but just remember that this was not the first episodes to be filmed and as such, any such dialogue is intentional. Ironically, it's in these moments when Matt is at his weakest, so it's good that they swiftly got through it and defined this new incarnation.

The Beast Below is an iffy one. Some call it nice, some call it boring, I'd say it's somewhere in between. But not every Doctor Who story has to feature "the end of " to be good. Oh no. The Beast Below certainly has some memorable dialoge ("Right then! This isn't going to be big on dignity!") and the dastardly origins of "Starship UK" is nicely played out and gives us a glimpse at this new Doctor's darker side.

Victory of the Daleks was one to look forward to, the first look at the Daleks in what I have called New-New Who, but not only that, we see some new "faces" aswell. Sadly, it could have done with a bigger story and some more Dalek time. But there's something about Daleks motoring around the cabinet war rooms which fits so beautifully. Once more, there are some fantastic scenes and lovely dialogue in this episode ("Would you care for some tea!?") ("The restoration, of the MASTER RACE!")

All in all, a universally hit and miss start, but a strong start nonetheless. As the two (going on three) leads find their feet firmly on the ground in later episodes, it's a sure sign of a great era to come.

Page: 1 | 2