Profile for Mr Ghostface > Reviews

Content by Mr Ghostface

Mr Ghostface (United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Case, Onyx Black - fits all Paperwhite generations

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, perfectly designed for its function, just a bit pricey., 21 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I guess one's assessment of whether a product is pricey depends on how much you're willing to pay. This cover for the Paperwhite is, honestly, everything it's supposed to be. It's a great fit, it feels protective and it looks great, especially without the elastic to secure it (though I'm not yet convinced about how strong the magnetic clasp will remain). It's nicely finished, the cover feels very strong for how thin and light it is and it nicely wakes up your Paperwhite on opening and puts it to sleep when closed; I'm a big fan of anything that reduces the number of buttons I have to push!

Adobe Premiere CS4 & CS3 Core Video Training (Mac/PC DVD)
Adobe Premiere CS4 & CS3 Core Video Training (Mac/PC DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful tutorials, but you should look elsewhere., 21 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If I were judging this product on its content alone, I'd probably give it five stars. The tutorials are well-written and simplify the editing process as much as possible, though the decision to put updates for CS4 ahead of the Getting Started tutorials does raise an eyebrow. Nevertheless, these tutorials are useful and I imagine most beginners would benefit from them. Premiere is a fairly straightforward editing program, it's the one I started out on in the late '90s, and it's probably a good entry point to high-end editing software for less experienced users. The main problem here, as it is with all training products of this type, is that equally good tutorials are available online; they are easy to find and free.

THE WORLD OF THE NEVERENDING STORY.
THE WORLD OF THE NEVERENDING STORY.
by No author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning book for a visually stunning film., 21 Dec. 2012
I borrowed this book from the library back in 1985, when I was pretty young, and for years I couldn't remember the name of it. Since the internet came about I started looking for it; for years there was no trace of it. Then, finally, in recent years, copies started to surface and last Christmas I managed to get hold of a nice copy. Now, that's a hell of a long time to be looking for a book, and while I can be a bit obsessive, trust me this book is that good.

You'll find very many concept designs for The NeverEnding Story, full colour reproductions of production paintings by Ul de Rico and copious notes about pre-production, designs that had to be scrapped for various reasons. It's just a beautiful, immersive insight into one of the best fantasy movies ever made.

Total Training for Adobe Photoshop CS5 Essentials (PC/Mac)
Total Training for Adobe Photoshop CS5 Essentials (PC/Mac)

3.0 out of 5 stars Well presented but very over-priced., 21 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Now, the tutorials in this software are well written and clearly presented, and I think they'd help most users who have a basic understanding of graphics packages. They cover each topic pretty thoroughly and don't rush you, which is very nice. The problem, and it's a critical one for any product like this, is that there are so many free, equally useful tutorials available online. I won't link you to those as this is a decent product, but I can't recommend you buy this as it's both redundant and very expensive. Everything covered here is available for free online, or for much less in a book.

CyberLink DVD Suite 7 Ultra (PC CD)
CyberLink DVD Suite 7 Ultra (PC CD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Suite 7, Pro, Ultra?, 21 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Cyberlink need to stop marketing their software repeatedly based on a tiny amount of feature creep. They do it with every issue and it's a bit insulting once you've noticed them doing it. There are dozens of similar software packages, all of which can do what this can, and as with every one of them, many of these features are functions your PC can do anyway(!). Play your DVDs! Play your Blu-rays! Find your files! No kidding, and companies like Cyberlink make money out of it. If you know anything about your PC, you won't need this software or any equivalent, and for any features it does have that yours doesn't, I recommend you find them for free (and legally free) and download them.

Don't waste your money on this "Ultra" edition or any later versions.

Magix Rescue Your Videotapes 2.0 (PC CD)
Magix Rescue Your Videotapes 2.0 (PC CD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Average quality and unnecessary if you have a DVD recorder..., 21 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This sort of conversion kit, always marketed with that "save your tapes before it's too late" angle, is a bit obsolete. DVD recorders are pretty cheap and hooking that up to your video is a much quicker and simpler way of transferring your tapes to disc. It's more useful if you want to simply digitize your VHS material for archiving on your PC or other storage device. They should market it more from that angle.

The quality is average, but then most VHS sources are pretty bad by current standards.

Doctor Who Demon Quest 1: The Relics Of Time
Doctor Who Demon Quest 1: The Relics Of Time
by Paul Magrs
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Hammy but fun..., 21 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Now, it's rare to find a Who fan that isn't always happy when Tom Baker returns to the character, and no matter how much he chews the scenery (imaginary or otherwise) it's always a pleasure to hear him again. I am cautious about how the story will develop, having not heard further chapters, and I have to say it's pretty disappointing that they haven't secured the return of one of the Fourth Doctor's original companions alongside him, although there is a fun cameo from Richard Franklin. It's nice enough, if not up to the standard of a lot of the Big Finish output, this feeling somewhat more Radio 4, though Susan Jameson is enjoyable. I'd listen to the other parts but I can't say I was so pleased with it that I'd buy them. Fourth Doctor fans will enjoy it anyway, New Who fans are not going to.

Vax U89-MAF2-T Air Force 2 Total Home Multicyclonic Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner

3.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly powerful, incredibly heavy., 21 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not sure whether I like this hoover or not. I ended up giving it three stars, but I guess that would be an average of two stars as a domestic appliance and four stars if you're looking for something more industrial. The main reasons are in the title of the review. It's so powerful, I've honestly never used a vacuum like it, but it's so heavy I was the only one in the house able to use it. I've always liked Vax as a brand, and I've had more than one Vax before, but this unit... I'm not entirely sure who they thought it would be suitable for. Now, we sadly still live in a world where most domestic vacuuming is done by Mum, but mine couldn't move this thing. So, that's a big strike from her. I also found it pulled up the carpet, which isn't desirable either. It comes with the expected attachments, it's all manufactured to a high standard, but I just can't really recommend it, unless you've got an industrial use for it.

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Patrick Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I ever expected!, 21 Oct. 2012
I remember reading an interview with some execs from Paramount/CBS discussing the effort it would take to get ST:TNG onto blu-ray. They were talking about it being a monumental task, requiring every episode to be recut from the original camera negatives because all post-production work for the original broadcast had been done on videotape. This would been locating every single piece of negative, cleaning it, scanning it digitally, recutting it, re-compositing all visual effects elements and recreating wih CGI those that were only ever created in 480i. I just sighed and accepted it would never happen.

But you know what? That's exactly what they've done. And not only that, you know that 13 seconds of camera negative that was missing from Sins of the Father? They found that too, so when the Season 3 box set comes out, that episode, along with every single one of the other 177, will be complete and in full HD.

Many, many people have bashed Paramount over the last 15 years for their less-than-stellar DVD releases, me being one of them. Well, with this one box set (so far), they're forgiven. It's really quite hard to explain how much better the show looks. And it's not just the VFX, which do look great, it's the live footage too. When you see it, you'll honestly wonder how the hell this wonderful show got such a terrible presentation for the last 25 years. Of course, not every shot it great; in Encounter at Farpoint there is a shot of Patrick Stewart standing up in court before Q where there is a darkened area at the top of the screen and this is still present, clearly it was a photographic shortfall and any that are present throughout the series were simple shot that way. But that is honestly the only niggle I can think of. The actors look more real than ever, so you'll see the highs (and lows) of their performances more clearly than ever. The model work done originally is, for the most part, astoundingly good. Some missing or damaged effects elements have either been recreated digitally or replaced, but everything works. You'll most likely love the restoration featurette; I recommend watching it first to fully appreciate the effort that has been put in. It answers that question of why the show isn't presented in 16:9, which basically is impossible because almost every shot was framed to be matted out at 4:3, all model work was composited in a 4:3 frame so there is no further information to present outside of this, etc. I expect most fans of the show who saw it first time around understand all this and don't care.

I for one was never a huge fan of Season 1 (or Season 7) but I've watched half of this set and I'm just loving it. So I can't imagine how much I'm going to enjoy the next set. Any questions, just post a comment and I'll try to reply ASAP.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2012 1:58 AM GMT

Vax U91-LF-B LiFE Cordless Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Vax U91-LF-B LiFE Cordless Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent unit, if a little pricey for its performance., 17 Mar. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't sure what to make of this vacuum before I received it. I was expecting it to be lighter than a normal upright and certainly limited in battery life, but didn't have any idea how well it would perform. Well, I assembled it, charged it (charge level is indicated by three LEDs) and put it to use. It's definitely much lighter than a normal upright and yet it has the great advantage of not making you bend over to use it efficiently, a combo I appreciated given I have a rather bad back. As for performance, well, it's not as strong as a conventional upright, but it seemed to pick up just about everything I needed it to. You can switch between hard floor and carpets, and it's incredibly "pick-up-and-go", which I know my mum loves. All in all, it's not a cheap unit, but if the price isn't a problem for you, then you'll really appreciate what it has to offer over comparatively cumbersome uprights.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20