Profile for Mike > Reviews

XL, 42-46 - Black - Mens Quality Leather Belt Made in UK
XL, 42-46 - Black - Mens Quality Leather Belt Made in UK
Offered by Belt Designs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 Feb. 2016
You get what you pay for, and this belt while a bit more expensive, is going to last. Nice made with quality material.

Corsair CMFVYGT3B UFD3 COR VoyagerGT 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Corsair CMFVYGT3B UFD3 COR VoyagerGT 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars but otherwise it's excellent. Very quick and super tough, 16 July 2015
Big, fast and chunky ! It is a big USB stick, which I wanted as I keep losing them. Only issue is the rubber case can obstruct nearby USB ports, but otherwise it's excellent. Very quick and super tough.

Kuzy - Retina 13-Inch BLACK LEATHER Hard Case for MacBook Pro 13.3" with Retina Display A1502 / A1425 (NEWEST VERSION) Shell Cover Leatherette - BLACK
Offered by Kuzy UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 16 July 2015
Much better than the easily damage speck case I had before. Would buy again.

Wenger WA6274 1904003 Wheeled Travel BAG
Wenger WA6274 1904003 Wheeled Travel BAG

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but heavy, man !, 16 July 2015
Nice quality bag, but should have read the specs - it's a bit to heavy to throw around - but its definitely good quality, as you'd; expect from Wenger.

The Ends of the Earth: (The Wide World - James Maxted 3)
The Ends of the Earth: (The Wide World - James Maxted 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, 16 July 2015
All I can say is I am glad that Robert Goddard is now finished with this trilogy.

I'm sorry to say that the plotting of this trilogy went a bit 'Jeffrey Archer', with the ridiculous coincidences and all the plot points tied up in far too neat a fashion. It's a real shame. As this trilogy stumbled along to it's final conclusion, I felt totally unengaged with both the story and characters.

I felt I was sharing my relief with the author as it final conclusion came lumbering into view. By the final few chapters, all the interest, empathy and any connection that had built up in the previous two novels had evaporated.

I think Robert Goddard is a terrific author, and I look forward to his return to form with his next release.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2015 6:26 PM BST

The Corners of the Globe: (The Wide World - James Maxted 2)
The Corners of the Globe: (The Wide World - James Maxted 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars I love his story telling and the journey of his novels ..., 6 July 2014
I've been a fan of Robert Goddard for quite a while, and even though his books are mystery/thrillers with a reveal/twist at the end I can read them again and again. I love his story telling and the journey of his novels as much as the final destination.

I was a bit disappointed with the ending of the first part of this trilogy - largely because I didn't realise it was a trilogy at the time, so when it came to the cliff hangar ending I felt a bit disappointed, even cheated. However with this book, it was always clear that it was part two of the trilogy so the cliff hangar ending was not a surprise, but expected.

The story cracks along at a savage pace, and that is where the problem with this book lies. Frankly the pace of the storyline has become manic - like a movie director trying to get 3 hours of plot into a two hour film. The plot is intense and convoluted (which is fine) - but it needs a lot more room to breathe - accidentally skim read a paragraph and you could end up lost.

I like these characters, I like the plot, and I can't wait for the story to resolve with the final part of the trilogy. There are some howling coincidences - but they are forgivable, even necessary, in this genre of novel.

Still, it is way better than much of the other stuff you will find out there, but please let the final part of the trilogy be more like a solid and engrossing build up to huge crescendo, rather than the high speed antics of the closing credits of the Benny Hill Show.

However, the proof of the pudding is that I can't wait to get hold of the final part of the trilogy - please don't keep us waiting too long for it !

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life (Allen Carrs Easy Way)

5.0 out of 5 stars Please just read it, 1 Aug. 2012
I started smoking at 15 behind the bike sheds at school - at the time I thought is was cool.

I am now 46 and apart from a few failed tries at stopping, have smoked around 20 a day since.

I have a little boy 3, and a little girl of 6. When they ask you to stop smoking because they don't want you to die you need to listen.

After reading this book, I stopped smoking and know I will not start again. It was by far the easiest and least difficult of all my attempts to stop smoking.

Being generally a bit cynical about 'self help books', and seeing some reviews from people who are 'too intelligent' and see through the techniques used, or criticise the writing style, I say the following:

1). This book has helped large numbers of people to stop smoking.

2). It costs around the same as one packet of cigarettes.

3). Reading it could save you life.

The greatest gift that I could wish for is to see my two small children grow into adulthood, perhaps get married and have children of their own. I now have a much better chance of seeing those things.

Dress it up how you like, it really is as simple as that.

Just for once take the advice of a perfect stranger, one with no axe to grind, who wishes someone had pointed them in this direction years ago.

You have virtually nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

Please try this book.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2015 3:04 PM BST