Profile for moonraker > Reviews

Halogen Lamp Removal Tool SP250LL
Offered by Trade Supplies-UK

3.0 out of 5 stars limited usefulness, 11 May 2016
This review is from: Halogen Lamp Removal Tool SP250LL
The device works OK if the surface of the lamp is smooth plain glass. If the surface is not smooth, the suction is not effective. Thus, as the name 'halogen'implies, the device might not work with some LED lamps.

AA Battery Charger and Maintainer
AA Battery Charger and Maintainer

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow charger, 6 April 2016
This is a slow charger, so you cannot use it to start a car quickly when the battery is flat. It is very useful if you need to retain battery charge when your car is off the road for an extended period.

Bialetti Venus Induction Espresso Maker 4 Cup
Bialetti Venus Induction Espresso Maker 4 Cup
Offered by 118store-com

4.0 out of 5 stars Good coffee, with practice., 4 Mar. 2016
This machine makes a very good cup of coffee, although one needs practice to get it right. The principle is to put cold water in the tank at the bottom; fill the basket with ground coffee, screw on the receiver and apply heat to the base. The choice of ground coffee depends on the user's taste; I prefer either Illy Espresso, or Lavazza Qualita Rossa. The Illy is twice as expensive, so I generally buy the Lavazza. Several important points:
1 Always use cold water and fill the tank to just below the level of the valve.
2 Fill the basket, but do not heap it up. Remove any surplus with the back of a knife and avoid tamping or tapping the side of the basket to make the coffee settle. Compaction can cause over-pressure in the tank and lead to uneven flow into the receiver.
3 Apply gentle heat to avoid spurting. The hot coffee should be cloud free (no coffee solids) and taste mellow.
4 Pour into heated cups. A "cup" here is an espresso size, so a "4 Cup" machine makes two demi-tasses or one standard size cup of coffee.

3 Rolls Kinesiology Tape 5 m x 2,5 cm in 5 different colours by BB Sport, Colour:multicoloured
Offered by BB Sport

4.0 out of 5 stars Physio-tape, 11 Dec. 2015
I used this on my foot to help with a case of chronic tendonitis. It seems ot have helped, although I still have some pain.

Mares Hermes - Training Flippers, Short sky blue Blue - Blue Size:42/43
Mares Hermes - Training Flippers, Short sky blue Blue - Blue Size:42/43
Offered by Kent Diving

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for sea swimming, 9 Oct. 2015
I bought these prior to a recent holiday, to go in my suitcase, rather than take my normal longer 'flippers'. My feet are nominally UK size 9, with the left nearer size 9.5, so the fins were at the top of the size range and there was a possibility that they could be too small. In fact they were a little tight, but I overcame this by using an emulsion of washing up liquid and vegetable oil, to lubricate my feet. In the open sea they helped my swimming and made me feel more secure than I would if I went in unaided.

Bialetti 0186001 Coffee Filter Refills
Bialetti 0186001 Coffee Filter Refills
Offered by Moema Espresso

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 July 2014
This product was exactly as described.

Huawei E5331 High Speed 3G 21.1Mbps Mi-Fi Unlocked Modem
Huawei E5331 High Speed 3G 21.1Mbps Mi-Fi Unlocked Modem

5.0 out of 5 stars The Huawei E5531 modem, 19 May 2013
This device converts a 3G signal into WiFi for use with PCs, tablets etc. It comes with its own rechargeable battery, but no charger. It does, however, come with a USB cable, so that one may charge the battery through a PC or an appropriate power charger.

I bought mine so that I could use my Nexus 7 tablet when I am away from home, in the absence of a free WiFi signal.

The modem is unlocked so I suppose it could be used with any data SIM card. I own a pay as you go T-mobile dongle, so I installed the SIM from that and after switching it on and registering the key security code, which is printed both on the box and inside the modem, on my tablet, I was connected to the internet within seconds. Refreshingly, there was none of the technical stuff, like downloading and expanding zip files, or searching for obscure URLs, that often encumbers this type of equipment.

The blurb claims that the modem will service up to five WiFi devices and I am sure this is true, though you would need a solid “all you can eat” type contract to make such usage economical. With T-mobile payg, you can buy a limited 30 day package for fifteen quid and there are other plans available, but none of them are cheap. I am not sure if cheaper plans may be bought from other sources, but my requirement is only for a few days a month and probably three weeks in Europe at some point, so I may stick with T-mobile. They offer a good method of preventing high roaming charges when one is abroad, by using so called “boosters”.

I think this is an excellent device, which works well technically and will not be too expensive if used in the way I described.

Garmin Nuvi 255W Satellite Navigation with Full EU Mapping (Newly Overhauled)
Garmin Nuvi 255W Satellite Navigation with Full EU Mapping (Newly Overhauled)

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin nuvi 255W satnav, 23 Dec. 2011
I bought this as a reconditioned unit from Garmin. At just under £70.00 it was good value, in comparison to other similar items. I need it because I regularly visit the Low Countries, where the motorway signs are in Dutch and if there is a problem, it is difficult to find an alternative route without the aid of a satnav. So far, I've only tried it in England, but it works very well, although it does seem to select 'favourite' routes, rather than more efficacious ones. For instance, for Western France it offers the Channel Tunnel, rather than the more obvious Portsmouth or Plymouth ferry routes.
Generally it is easy to use, has clear visual and aural instructions when in action and recalculates the route quickly, if circumstances cause the driver to make a deviation.
Obviously, there are more sophisticated devices on the market, but this is a good basic tool and I would recommend it.