Profile for Campbell > Reviews

Doctor Who: Independence Day
by Peter Darvill-Evans
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who - Independence Day, 8 Mar 2014
I don't often write reviews of any books, let alone children's books, but occasionally make an exception for cult classics. In the immediate aftermath of the doctor's 50th anniversary I felt compelled to buy a copy of `Dr Who and the Stones of Blood' by Terrance Dicks to add to the modest `Dr. Who' collection I began somewhere near Glasgow in the mid 1970's. Not only had the televised broadcast of this story been particularly memorable but I found the cover of the book to be quite entrancing and ultimately decided that it would `look good' during the 100 year celebrations. Similarly, when researching the Scottish Independence movement, I discovered that there actually was such a thing, I decided to purchase a copy of `Doctor Who - Independence Day' as a kind of un-superstitious `lucky charm.' Acknowledging the great crime of judging a book by the cover, I should point out that I have an eleven year old son so there is even a chance that the book may be read sometime. I thought that the `object' itself might neatly sum up the growing Celticity of `Dr.Who`, another factor which explains my affection for `The Stones of Blood'. By this I mean - Made in Wales, three Scottish doctors and Tom Baker's close affinity with the IRA.
I was not disappointed and now keep the book in a protective plastic wrapper.

Doctor Who and the Stones of Blood