Profile for Marco Rossini > Reviews

Content by Marco Rossini
Top Reviewer Ranking: 786

Marco Rossini "Marco" (England, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mosquito Patches Insect Repellent Deet free perfect for the family. (24 PATCHES)
Offered by Healthcare Europe

4.0 out of 5 stars Not 100% but it worked fine, 3 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this before travelling to Japan, as there are some mosquitoes there in late summer and early autumn. I hardly saw them in urban areas, but there were quite few of them in rural areas and in the woods, especially at night. I put a patch each day behind my neck (like the photo here). The odor wasn't too strong but was noticeable.

The result - when I was in the bush I got stung by one mosquito on my arm despite the fresh patch was behind my neck, so it's not always perfect, but my impression is that it was working, as I got stung only a few times throughout my 2-week-holiday in Japan, and I spent quite a lot of time in rural areas, around fields, farms and the woods in the middle of the summer at night. Obviously it's recommended to take some medicine (just in case you do get stung by them) and because mosquitoes are attracted by the body odor, like sweat, you might want to keep your body clean and dry as precaution, or cover your arms and legs as much as you can. Not sure if you're allowed to put more than 1 patch at a time, but if it is, then it might be a good solution too. I think I'll take them again with me if I go on holiday, especially when I might spend time outside at night or in the countryside.

AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 6 Feet (1.8 Meters) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Works just like the original cable, 3 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It works just like the original cable from Apple. No problem at all. It's much longer than the original one (1.8 meters), the chord is strong and the main thing is it's so much cheaper that I have no hesitation to recommend it to all the iPhone/iPad/iPod users.

A Dictionary of Mutual Understanding
A Dictionary of Mutual Understanding
by Jackie Copleton

4.0 out of 5 stars This book will contribute to mutual understanding.., 25 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this is a good book in the sense the author has her 1st-hand experience of living in Japan (in Nagasaki at that), so she shows her understanding as well as sympathy with which she offers an alternative view to readers. In the West we tend to be led to believe that dropping of A-bombs was necessary to end the war more quickly or to save millions of people, and by doing so try to justify the killing of 100,000 people in Hiroshima and 80,000 in Nagasaki - that's all rubbish justification and it was nothing but testing to see the true effects of the new bombs on human bodies, that is nothing but biological tests in a large scale. I can't believe that some us in the West, even today, still believe in such an obvious propaganda although most (if not all) victims were civilians including children and elderly people.

In this book it's pictured that there was a human side and their stories to tell, and it was written by a British author. I studied modern history including this period, so just one tiny point I want to add is that their (civilian) lives had nothing to do with the British/American POWs in South-East Asia, and that comparison was probably not necessary, and I doubt if the author had chance to expand her research into the fact that the British also captured many Japanese soldiers at the end of the War and kept them in concentration camps in Malaysia and used them as labourforce, and didn't allow them to return to Japan for several years after the War, and many died in the camps too. To talk about wars, one can't avoid some very delicate issues, and it's a highly challenging task, and I think the author managed to offer a good book that I hope will contribute to mutual understanding between nations that had to fight on different sides unfortunately.

Tefal Infiny Force Hand Blender with Sauce Attachment, 700 W
Tefal Infiny Force Hand Blender with Sauce Attachment, 700 W

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for a small quantity, 13 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I always wanted to have a hand-held blender as it's so much more useful than the more traditional blender unless you have a big family. This is so useful when you make, for example, some tomato sauce, milk shake, carrot juice etc. Not for a large quantity, but for a small family or for two people, this is perfect. When not using them, I put all of them in the original box and store them on top of the fridge. I recommend it to people who want to start making these things for a small quantity.

AmazonBasics Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to DVI Adapter
AmazonBasics Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to DVI Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars The same product from Apple UK is £25.00, 8 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The best thing about this product is the price (as the official product from Apple UK is £25.00 so you can save quite a bit of money), and it's good that Amazon can produce/offer products at the more 'realistic' price for the same product that works absolutely fine. I've always thought that pricing by Apple is OTT although I have been a Mac user.

Black Coal, Thin Ice [DVD]
Black Coal, Thin Ice [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fan Liao

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Chinese film, 1 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Black Coal, Thin Ice [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I normally enjoy watching Chinese or other Asian films, but there're some films that aren't so impressive that probably I won't watch them twice. Unfortunately this film will fall into the latter category, as it's quite dark. I've never been to China, and probably that's one of the reasons that I couldn't follow quite a bit of the socio-cultural elements. It's quite a dark film but it's difficult to explain without referring to the plot, which I never do in my reviews. I always look for some 'light' in a film, such as a man with a good heart, or a girl who tries to make other people smile, but none of the characters here is such a person.

It seems some of the reviewers really liked it, so it's never possible to generalise, so if you like oriental films, you may like it or you find it quite depressing - one or the other, I think.

I don't think I will watch it again, but if I did, I might get a different opinion about it, so if I think about something to add, I'll post it here. I hope you'll enjoy it though.

Actinica 80 g Lotion
Actinica 80 g Lotion

4.0 out of 5 stars SPF50, nice & slightly solid cream, nice scent - like it, 24 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I cycle to work every week day and spend a lot of time outdoors at the weekend in summer, so this product with SPF50, will give me reassurance against the UV on my face. Compared to more well-known products (with an orange lid), the cream is slightly more solid and has a very slight scent, which is nice. It spreads well on the skin and gives some nice moisture too, and so far I like it very much.

If I notice anything else, whether positive or negative, I'll post it here.
Thanks.

Igenix Liteway LW3252 Edison Screw Cap Energy Saving LED Candle Lamp 5 W - Clear
Offered by tools247

5.0 out of 5 stars LED with E27 screw cap 5W warm colour - do you need any more info?, 14 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Just in case you're wondering, this is an E27 screw cap 5W LED candle lamp replacement. Need you any more info? It's as bright as a traditional incandescent bulb of 25W, and the lamp-life is 30,000 hours. Unlike florescent light it's not so white, and the colour is nicely warm and orangey. If you leave it on all day and night, theoretically it should last up to 1,250 days, which is almost 3.5 years, so it has a very long life-time. It's sustainable, kind to your bills, so I think it's a dream product?

Max Weber
Max Weber
by Joachim Radkau

4.0 out of 5 stars For those who are craving for academic stimulation, 13 July 2015
This review is from: Max Weber (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I studied sociology and so I used to read many books and writings by Weber. As well as the academic side, this book shows Weber's human side, his personality, background, and so on that it has been a pleasure reading it although it's not an ordinary, page-turner biography. For those who are Weberians, study sociology, or any other people who are craving for academic stimulation, this book will be one of good ones. You don't have to read it from cover to cover, and you can just choose the chapters/sections that you find interesting. Hope you enjoy it as I did.

Philips Sonicare HX8911/04 Healthy White Plus Rechargeable Sonic Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX8911/04 Healthy White Plus Rechargeable Sonic Toothbrush

4.0 out of 5 stars Compared to Oral-B one.., 6 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been an electric toothbrush user for about twelve years, and I can't live without them anymore. I've used several models, but all of them have been Oral-B ones, but recently my dentist has advised I might want to use the Sonicare one, as its cleaning method using the vibration (rather than the movement of the brush-head itself) is good for my teeth. So I got this one and have been using it for two weeks now.

My impression - now the brush-head doesn't 'brush' your teeth anymore but only vibrates with the very fast and tiny movements, which feel likes the small dirt is cleaned from the gaps nicely, and because the brush-head doesn't 'brush' like the Oral-B ones, it feels easier to my gums too. It gives you a 'sign' in the vibration every 30 seconds so you can time it, and at the end of the two-min period it automatically stops.

There are two modes, i.e. cleaning mode and polishing mode, and I feel this Sonicare technology is nice and gentle to my teeth and I like it very much so far. The brush-head is smaller and it means it can reach deeper and apply it to small gaps too.

The only minor issue is that the brush-head replacements are extremely expensive, so I hope they'll be more reasonable soon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20