Profile for Marco Rossini > Reviews

Content by Marco Rossini
Top Reviewer Ranking: 544

Marco Rossini "Marco" (England, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips E27 10 Watt LED Edison Screw Globe, Warm White
Philips E27 10 Watt LED Edison Screw Globe, Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars Save electricity bills by 84% and very long life, 18 Dec 2014
I don't normally give 5-star ratings unless the products are really good, but for this one I have no hesitation to review with 5 stars.

This light bulb is excellent, as the energy consumption is as low as 10w with LED but it's as bright as a 60w incandescent light bulb (package says it's 9.5w). And it's not too white like a fluorescent light but it's a much warmer colour (so called the 'colour temperature' is 2700 kelvin, so it's about the same colour as a car headlamp), and it's almost like an incandescent one, so it's nice and relaxing. There are a lot of bulbs of this kind, from cheap ones to expensive ones, and cheap imports from China could soon start flickering and eventually burn out even though they're LED, and even dangerous as they're not necessarily correctly assembled, so not all the LED bulbs are the same. This one isn't very cheap, but I can see it's a good quality reliable bulb from a famous international brand which is reassuring.

LED is supposed to last thousands of hours, over 20,000 hours in fact, with extremely low energy consumption and so it doesn't go very hot, so the electricity isn't wasted to generate heat with this bulb, and theoretically it's safer too. The only 'but' is its high cost, but if you can save the electricity bills by 84% (as the package says) and the bulb lasts practically 'for ever', I think it's a good investment.

IKEA Ledare LED Light Bulb LED Energy Saving Bulb E14 6.3 W 400 lm Corresponding to Approx 40 W 2700 Kelvin Warm White
Offered by TANTE FANNY LADEN - Tante Emma war gestern!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and enviromentally friendly light bulbs, 15 Dec 2014
I got these LED bulbs for the small lamps on the bedside tables, and they're a very good and efficient. I love the IKEA Ledare LED Light Bulb series and use various types of them, both E27 and E14. Compared to traditional incandescent ones, you could save something like 80% energy, so you can save your electricity bills especially in winter. This particular bulb consumes only 6.3W, but the brightness (which is indicated by Lumens nowadays) is about the same as the 40W of the traditional incandescent bulbs which tend to get very hot, so you know how much energy you're saving? These LED bulbs don't get very hot - only get warm - and that means the electricity is not being wasted by emitting the heat.

The colour is 'warm white' that is indicated as 2700 Kelvin that means it's almost the same colour as the headlamp of the car, so it's not too white. I still use some energy-saver ones, which are florescent, so although they save energy too, the colour is completely white which I don't like too much, as the atmosphere in the room gets very cold, but these LED ones with 2700K are nicely yellow/orangey like an incandescent bulb, and even more energy efficient than florescent ones and will last up to 20,000 hours, so although these LED bulbs are not cheap, it's definitely a good investment.

If my calculation is right, if you change all your incandescent bulbs in your household to LED ones (of the same brightness i.e. lumen), you would get all the investment for the LED bulbs back in about two years. As mentioned above, LED will last thousands of hours, so after a couple of years of using them you're saving even more as the investment will have already been paid off by this time.

IKEA Ledare LED Light Bulb LED Energy Saving Bulb E27 7.5 W 400 lm Corresponding to Approx 40 W 2700 Kelvin Warm White
Offered by steve soto

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bulb - no complaint whatsoever, 14 Dec 2014
I got this LED bulb a few month ago, and it's a very good and efficient bulb. I love the IKEA Ledare LED Light Bulb series and use various types of it, both E27 and E14. Compared to traditional incandescent ones, you could save something like 80% energy, so you can save your electricity bills especially in winter. This particular bulb consumes 7.5W but the brightness (which is indicated by lumens nowadays) is about the same as the 40W of the traditional incandescent bulb, so you know how much you're saving? The colour is 'warm white' that is indicated as 2700 Kelvin that means it's almost the same colour as the headlamp in the car, so it's not too white. I still use some energy-saver ones, which are florescent, so although they save energy too, the colour is completely white which I don't like too much, as the atmosphere in the room gets very cold, but this LED ones are nicely yellow/orange like a incandescent bulb, and even more energy efficient than florescent ones, and will last up to 20,000 hours, so although these LED bulbs are not cheap, it's a good investment. If my calculation is right, if you change all your incandescent bulbs to LED ones (of the same brightness i.e. lumen), you would get all the investment for the LED bulbs back in about two years. As mentioned above, LED will last thousands of hours, so after a couple of years of using it you're saving even more as the investment will have already been paid off by this time.

El Nino [DVD]
El Nino [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jesús Castro

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite Powerful Images with an Impressive Plot, 10 Dec 2014
This review is from: El Nino [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not going into details to avoid spoiling your joy of watching, but in a few words, I'd recommend it to those World Cinema fans who enjoy watching 1) European films, 2) Spanish culture, food, language etc., 3) cultural gaps within a society, 4) criminal activities underground and 4) blue skies and the ocean.

This film is very unique as you'll see a lot of coming and going between Morocco and Spain (and Gibraltar), as they're only 16 km apart. The conflict between the gang and the police is also an interesting element to watch. All actors are brilliantly convincing. It's one of the most memorable Spanish films that have been introduced to the UK in the recent years.

Hope I've managed to review it without revealing too much! I don't know why but there are a lot of 'reviewers' who are telling the entire story, which isn't what reviewers are supposed to do, I don't think.

Anyway, hope you'll enjoy it as I did.

New Balance Mens M574 D (13H) Clogs And Mules
New Balance Mens M574 D (13H) Clogs And Mules
Price: £53.98 - £100.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Trainers, 29 Nov 2014
First of all, when I first saw these trainers I immediately noticed the cool design and the colour. I tried them on, and then I noticed that my usual size was too small, so I had to go for a size larger, and this time it was perfect. Mine is navy and they're very light. They would be brilliant for running although I didn't buy them for running but for casual use. I don't know what the material is in the sole, but it's so comfortable that I'm in love with them. The outside is a mixture of nylon mesh material and suede. The mesh bit would be good fro air circulation, and the leather part keeps them in good shape. However, that means you'll need to clean the suede from time to time, so I also purchased special spray that protect the trainer by coating it from water, soil etc. I use the spray about once a week and leave them until they're dry, and off you go. I'm really happy that I bought these trainers, so I think I might even get another pair in a different colour. I normally don't give five-stars for my rating, but for these trainers I'm very happy to give all five.

Just one advice if you want to order them online - you need to be aware that the size I got was a size bigger than the one I normally get, so you might want to try them on first before place an order. Hope this helps.

All That Matters Is Past [DVD]
All That Matters Is Past [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maria Bonnevie

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cleverly made with great actors, supported by beautiful cinematography and music, 26 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OMG, I don't quite know where to start, but in a few words, I can say this is probably one of the strongest films I've seen since Fargo (Special Edition) [1996] [DVD]. You can never predict what happens next - surprise after surprise. I'm not going to go into the plot so I can avoid spoiling your joy, but just one warning - there is quite a bit of blood and dead animals and so on, so if you're not good at it (although they're very much part of how the story develops) you may want to be well-prepared before start pressing the play button. The cinematography as well as the music are fantastic, and the main actors are all brilliant. The fact that the main police officer was a heavily pregnant woman may have been one of the reasons why I connected this film with the Fargo but it's not only that. I haven't watched many North European films, but I'm glad I encountered this Norwegian/Swedish film, and I want to watch more of it. This is definitely one of the films that make you think afterwards.

Tech21 D3O Impact Band for iPhone 5 - Clear
Tech21 D3O Impact Band for iPhone 5 - Clear
Offered by Sunny Savers Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars The best case. You get what you pay for!, 23 Nov 2014
I've been using quite a few cases for my iPhone 5s, but this one is the very best so far. I found it in the Apple Store, so it's approved by Apple. The orange/brown band protect all kinds of shocks from dropping it, and it's width is protects all parts of the iPhone, so if you drop it on a flat surface your iPhone will be completely safe, as the band will absorb the shock. The back of the phone is also protected with a transparent plastic, but this part could get scratched by a general use of the phone. So, if you drop the phone on a sharp areas, such as on a rock with sharp edges in a rocky mountain, and if the shap bit hits the phone screen, for example, it could still damage it. So as well as this case I have a separate screen protector (either a film or a glass one) to protect the screen.

You can connect all the cables to the iPhone with ths case on and can adjust the volume, the speakers and the cameras work fine, and the main round button of couse, also the grip is very good with this special material (brown bits) so it will help you not drop it easily.

It's slightly costly, but believe me, the cheap ones I used previously were really cheap in quality, but this one is really impressive, and I feel a lot more confident with this new case. I heard this material was used by military in some countries too.

The only minor problem for me is that there were only two colours when I bought it, i.e. orange or brown, and I would have liked something blue, but this is not a major issue.

Finding Vivian Maier [DVD]
Finding Vivian Maier [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Maloof

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Intriguing, 23 Nov 2014
This review is from: Finding Vivian Maier [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didn't know anything about Vivian Maier until I saw this documentary film. As I take photos myself, it was amazing to know that there was such a talented (but also an eccentric) individual who was having a rather secretive life as a nanny but was also an armature photographer. In her days it was impossible to check the images immediately after taking them and to delete them if she didn't like them as all of us do nowadays, but the photo after photo that were shown were all incredible. Each photo was carrying a story and I wish I had more time to look into one by one with more time.

The film is narrated by the director, John Maloof, who has discovered Maier's photography by accident when he was a successful bidder for a box of negatives, and he interviews many people who used to know her. It's a fascinating story and film is really well made. Maier is really lucky that all her work, that is hundreds of thousands of negatives and undeveloped film rolls, were discovered by the right person who would introduced her work to the world.

Logitech X300 Mobile Wireless Stereo Speaker - Purple
Logitech X300 Mobile Wireless Stereo Speaker - Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but Good, Handy Speaker, but Bass Is Not So Strong, 22 Nov 2014
This is the second mobile wireless bluetooth speaker I've owned. First of all, it's a nice and small speaker which is slightly bigger than a hard case for a pair of glasses, so you can imagine how small it is and it can be put easily in a rucksack or a handbag. You can connect it with your smartphone or iPod etc either via bluetooth or the standard 'jack to jack' cable.

There are a few other colours available, e.g. pink, and black Logitech X300 Mobile Wireless Stereo Speaker - Black, so depending on who you're buying it for, you could choose the right colour. But the most important thing for most of us will be the sound quality. My older mobile speaker had 6W stereo, but for this one I have no idea what wattage it is because it's not written anywhere in the installation manual or in its product page in the internet. But it's loud enough for a general, casual use in a room, but if you want to use it to dance in the park or something, probably it's too much for this small speaker.

Installation is incredibly easy - just switch it on and switch the bluetooth on on your smartphone, and as soon as the smart phone has found this device via bluetooth it's ready to play. You can answer the phone by pressing the middle button too, and you can hear the caller's voice via the speaker, so you can talk hands free.

You can recharge the internal battery using a USB cable (provided) to a PC/Mac. A main plug is not provided, so if you'd rather recharge it from the wall you'll need to get the usb-compatible adapter.

So, if you want to use it in the kitchen, for example, you can do so without using any cables and the battery lasts for several hours.

You could also use it as a PC speaker, which I do, or maybe you could use it to amplify the TV sound to support the people who are hearing impaired by placing it in front of them with a longer jack-to-jack cable or if your TV is bluetooth compatible it's much easier, so he/she doesn't have to turn the TV volume so high.

If you want to use it to listen to music with heavy beats and bass, however, you may find it not powerful enough. You can't control the treble or bass, unless you can do so with your player itself, and when the volume is high the bass starts to buzz, so although it's loud enough and enjoyable for a casual use, don't expect it to work like a 2.1 sound-bar with a sub-woofer.

The sound quality is OK, and I can hear the bass too, and it's good enough to enjoy the music in your iPod Touch or a tablet, but the quality isn't so impressive to me. A scale of one to ten, I'd give six. But obviously this is a tiny speaker and quite cheap, and you're playing MP3, from which you can't really expect to hear the true acoustic of the instruments, so now you know what you'll get.

All in all, I still think I'm glad I got it and is definitely handy as I can carry it around and be used as a PC speaker or an instant stereo player by connecting to my iPod or a smartphone. In a garden party situation, for example, this will be a good device to bring some music to the guests, I think.

Logitech X300 Mobile Wireless Stereo Speaker - Red
Logitech X300 Mobile Wireless Stereo Speaker - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but Good, Handy Speaker, but Bass Could've Been More Powerful?, 19 Nov 2014

There are a few other colours available, e.g. black and light blue Logitech X300 Mobile Wireless Stereo Speaker - Black, so depending on who you're buying it for, you could choose the right colour. But the most important thing for most of us will be the sound quality. My older mobile speaker had 6W stereo, but for this one I have no idea what wattage it is because it's not written anywhere in the installation manual or in its product page in the internet. But it's loud enough for a general, casual use in a room, but if you want to use it to dance in the park or something, probably it's too much for this small speaker.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20