Profile for DemonicGK > Reviews

Red Electric Guitar Rock punk
Red Electric Guitar Rock punk

1.0 out of 5 stars cheap copycat, 10 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Red Electric Guitar Rock punk
Avoid this item, it's an Ibanez JEM ripoff, it's the exact same shape but I very much doubt it has the quality, especially at that price. It even has the handgrip that Ibanez designed specifically for Steve Vai's JEM guitars.

If you want something that stays in tune about as well as I can fly, then buy it. If you want a good quality guitar, spend a little more and buy something from a well known manufacturer, there are way too many dodgy counterfeit guitars out there.

Bioshock - Limited Edition [Tin Case] (Xbox 360)
Bioshock - Limited Edition [Tin Case] (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible, 30 Aug. 2007
I heard about this game about a month before release and did some research into it, and was instantly awed by the game. An FPS with an adventure/exploration factor, in a creepy environment, what more can a gamer ask for?

So I preordered it from here, maybe three weeks before release, and to all of those with delivery problems, I had none, it came on release day. I started playing it the day it arrived at about 8:30am, and was unable to leave my console until about 1:30pm. Unfortunately I was forced to take a 3 day break due to long work hours, and couldn't play it again until the following tuesday, but it's just such an amazing game. There's a certain strategic value to the gameplay as well, due to the limited numbers of plasmids you can equip at a time.

My only minor problem is this: It crashes Xboxes.
So to ensure you don't do what I did and lose 1-2 hours of gameplay, save regularly, in the later stages of the game it lags in places and crashes sometimes, mine has done it three times now, and each time I lost some gameplay, and had to redo a section. Frustrating, to say the least. However, I did find a few things I missed previously, like Plasmids and 'power to the people' (weapon upgrade) machines.

An excellent game, highly recommended, but I implore you to save often.

Metroid Prime (GameCube)
Metroid Prime (GameCube)

5.0 out of 5 stars possibly the best game ever, 17 July 2007
I put off buying this at first because, at the time, I was not a big fan of FPS, and in my younger years I had absolutely loved super metroid, so I was unsure of how this would stand up to it. Now, I really, really wish I had given it a go long before. Not only does it stand up to super metroid, which is often revered among retro gamers as one of the best games of all time, but in my opinion, surpasses it.

I love the gameplay style, because it is not a true FPS. It is a first person adventure game. The point of the game is not to go around shooting anything and everything that takes your fancy, as with halo, but to find everything you need in order to restore the planet.

The storyline is that a large meteor, containing a radioactive substance called Phazon, crashed into the planet. It's inhabitants, the Chozo, tried to seal the crater after realizing what the Phazon was doing to the animal and plant life on the planet, and it was even affecting them as well. Some were driven mad and became murderous, or were just killed by the Phazons effects. They called it the poison. There was also a large creature in the impact crater, supposedly born of Phazon, which had been mutated more and more by the Phazon, which they called the worm, but is also known as Metroid Prime.

When you arrive, the planet is basically deserted, it's inhabitants gone, they either left or were wiped out by the Phazon, it's not known which, but the Phazon's energy signature has attracted a dangerous enemy of Samus Aran. The space pirates. They have set up bases on the planet to harvest the Phazon, for their own uses. They also use it to mutate metroids they brought with them, and even experiment on themselves. Possibly the toughest boss in the game is created by these experiments.

You search the planet to recover lost abilities, and also some new ones, scattered around by the Chozo, in the knowledge that one day samus would come, and could use these powerups.Once you have recovered these abilities, and the 12 artifacts needed to unseal the impact crater, you can access Metroid Prime's chamber and face it.

If you are considering buying this, get it. If you are trying to decide whether to get this or Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, get this. The majority of players of both agree that this was the better game. And for those who feel they have finished this game, have done everything that needs to be done, and have basically mastered this game, visit the metroid2002.com forum, in the Metroid Prime section you will find much, much more challenges await you. I know I did. And on the main site you will find some unbelievable things can be done with this game.

I bought this a good couple of years ago, and I've played it time and again, it's one game I can always return to. And in those 2 years of playing, I ahven't mastered this game, not totally. I've achieved many things the creators didn't intend, but not all of the known ones. And I haven't tried the major sport this game creates. Speedrunning. Charging hard and fast to get through this game in record time. The world record I believe is currently held at 1 hour 4 minutes, although I hold great respect for anyone who even tries to speedrun this game.

Many games go into a stage where they are pretty much forgotten. This is one game which will never die. There are just too many gamers devoted to it, even now, over 4 years since it's release. With so much to do, this one game you shouldn't miss out on.

Sonic Firestorm
Sonic Firestorm
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars undeniably brilliant, 15 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Sonic Firestorm (Audio CD)
This is one amazing album.

I love this album to pieces, the guitar work is so fast it's almost scary. As with all their songs the guitarist, Herman Li, does not dissapoint. Every song, from My Spirit Will Go On, all the way through to Once in a Lifetime, are all fantastic, theres just no other way to describe. The melodic and peaceful Dawn Over a New World is a nice break from the incredible speed and power of the other songs, overall, it's my personal favourite of Dragonforce's albums.

My only dissapointment is the version. I got the Japanese version, which was the only version to have the song Cry of the Brave on it, which is possibly the best song of theirs I have heard. I am sure that somewhere like I-Tunes could probably provide a download for this song though, which I would definitely recommend.

One of my favorite bands, as it's something a little out of the ordinary, not your everyday average band. Recommended to anyone who likes speed/power metal.

Phobia
Phobia
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Spine tinglingly good, 15 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Phobia (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite albums overall, and definitely my favourite Breaking Benjamin album. When I first listened to this I thought the best songs were Diary of Jane, Breath, and Evil Angel. However, with music I have a tendency to circulate my favourite songs, so that now, after listening to it for a while, I prefer Here We Are, Unknown Soldier, and Until the End.

I feel like this is one of those albums/bands I can't completely fit into a set genre. They vary their music so much, some of the songs could be classed as rock, some are more like metal, but they are all fantastic. I have all 3 of their albums, and I have to say, they are a fantastic band, whenever I give them a listen, they don't dissapoint or bore me, the music is just superb. I first heard of them through a friend who was a fan of Halo 2, which they did the soundtrack song for. Sadly the song, called Blow Me Away, does not apear on any of their albums, only on the Halo 2 soundtrack CD, but downloads for it are easy enough to find. Since then I got all 3 of their albums, and have been a big fan ever since.

If I'm listening properly, just listening, not doing anything else at the same time, I tend to find myself singing along and some of the songs, Unknown Soldier and Here We Are, and especially Blow Me Away, actually send tingles down my spine, and I can feel my hair stand on end, their music is that good.

If you have a profound love of Rock music of all types, or if you want to listen to something original, not the remakes of songs that most artists come out with these days, then buy this album, or any other breaking benjamin album for that matter, just give them a listen.

Timeline
Timeline
by Michael Crichton
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 27 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Timeline (Mass Market Paperback)
I borrowed this item from the local Library recently, and I will be buying from Amazon shortly. This is possibly the best book I have ever read. Forget Jurassic Park, and your Harry Potter's, whatever, they pale in comparison. It has a bit everything, from legend to science, and everything in between. A fantastic plot, and a story which never ceases to amaze. It is one hell of a page turner, I found it almost impossible to put it down. It was one of those books which I opened to read before bed, then found myself staying awake until the early hours of the morning to read as much as possible, and I did the same when I finished it.

I cannot stress how much this book should be read, however, like all Crichton books, it has a small element of gore, which younger readers may find slightly disturbing. I wouldn't recommend to anyone under the ages of 10-12. The gore is few and far and inbetween, but is still there, and some younger readers may find it a little offputting. But it really does press home the dangerous time it's (mostly) set in.

I have to say, it is the best book I have ever read. And I'd read it all again, too.

Quantum Redshift (Xbox)
Quantum Redshift (Xbox)

2.0 out of 5 stars Quantum Redshift, 9 Sept. 2006
I bought this game fior a few quid I had spare, as I've been searching for a futuristic racer for Xbox for some time, to replace Wipeout. But this game just doesn't cut it. It's a mediocre game, it really is. The tracks are a little repetitive, and not as ingenius as wipeouts. Weapons are too limited. You have a homing weapon, a non-homing weapon, a shield, and if you upgrade your ship enough you get a super-weapon. There is no diversity in the weapons available, and it's too hard to get a kill using standard weapons, while super-weapons tend to be overkill, and take a long time to get.

Now onto the most important part. In a futuristic racer, you look for speed right? Yes, this game has that, your speedometer goes up above 700 in redshift mode. However, there is no feeling of speed. Other futuristic racers, like Wipeout, Rollcage 1 and 2 way back for the PS1, and extreme G are fast enough to blow you away, but this doesn't give that feeling.

There is also no aerodynamic element in the ships, they are fat, CG-d looking things, and they are too smooth, they actually look like a computer generated image, not a racebred machine. When you look at the ships in wipeout and other futuristic racers, they even look fast while sitting still. These things do not. They look stupid, like a childs toy.

I searched for one good futuristic racer on Xbox, first I found Powerdrome, then I found this. I'm still looking.

Thud! (Discworld Novels)
Thud! (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 29 Sept. 2005
This is Pratchett's best work yet, and a work of art is indeed what it is. This kept me reading right up to the end, have just this moment finished it, and it is incredible, I would recommend this to anyone and everyone.
The one inconsistency is B'hrian Bloodaxes Battlebread. As those who have read Feet of Clay would know, it was in the Dwarf Bread Museum in Ankh Morpork for a while where it was damaged in it's use as a weapon of murder. They particularly mention the fact that it as used by him in the Battle of Koom Valley, yet when they find his body at the end of this, it was lying beside him, though this was the first time anyone had seen his body since he died centuries before.
This book is still, even with that slight mistake, still superb and still worth Five stars. There are only two warnings over this book for those who will read it.
1. Be prepared to read the occasional swearword in this, but they are not often and are quite mild, as cursewords go.
2. If this is your first Pratchett book, expect to never want to read much else, as these are incredible, and these days I read hardly anything else, and I know of other of his fans who are the same.
Read it. No matter who you are, no matter what books you like, read his, you will like them, I guarantee it, even if you don't at first, read a few more, the later ones only get better, and your understanding of Discworld will increase, which helps greatly.

Driver 2 Advance
Driver 2 Advance

1.0 out of 5 stars Sod this game!, 7 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Driver 2 Advance (Video Game)
I bought this game ages ago as one of my first GBA games and completed it in 2 days! 2 soddin days, for gods sake. Someone please make a better game than this! I part xchanged it for spyro season of ice, which, by the way, don't buy that either.
The game itself wasn't too bad, but once it's complete, theres nothing else to do, and it's too short lived. So only buy it if you only plan on doing one mission per week.
Yes, it's really that short!

Need for Speed Underground  (Players' Choice)
Need for Speed Underground (Players' Choice)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dude, I love this game!!!, 27 Sept. 2004
I got this game for Christmas from my Mum and Dad the year it came out, and it took me a few weeks to complete it at first, but now I can complete it in a couple of days because I have become really good at it. The graphics are great, really realistic, and the cars are sooooooo customisable. I am Drift King! I challenge anyone to beat my highest drift total of 1,100,000 and my single drift score of 117,000! I can lap the fourth place car on Atlantica reverse with 10 laps and on Hard mode. I have completed the game eight times (all races on hard mode), and have found that the Acura Integra is the best all round car to use. If you pick the engine, turbo, and NOS unique performance upgrades, then you can win any drag race, even though the basic top speed of the Integra isn't very good at first. Until you get the first 3 level 3 performance upgrades it only has a top speed of about four/five on the statistics. Contrary to what it says on the race menu, there are 113 races, because you get to race the legend of the street at the end of the game. A must buy for racing fans and non-racing fans alike!