Profile for CJ > Reviews

Resolution [DVD]
Resolution [DVD]
Dvd ~ Justin Benson

5.0 out of 5 stars The Donnie Darko of independent horror, 7 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Resolution [DVD] (DVD)
I saw the UK premiere of this film at Celluloid Screams Film Festival and I can tell you 99% of the audience would probably agree with Rob Nevitts review that has landed front and center on the poster.

The fact this film premiered in the US at Tribeca Film Festival should give you an idea of the quality, Tribeca simply don't screen films that are just 'a bit good'.

Resolution is a film that will definitely divide opinion - from the first few seconds we are drawn into a story where the answers aren't force fed to the audience - you know those horror films that have a great build up and then manage to blow it with the reveal at the end or ghastly CGI overkill (Mama!) - don't expect that here - it's very intricate story telling, told on a reported million dollar budget.

I'd be lying if I said I fully understood everything that happened in this movie, it needs a second and possibly third viewing to work it all out - simply put, it's a genuine mind bender and I can't wait for the DVD to arrive.

Tension is steadily built throughout the movie, bringing together the standard horror components but turning the whole thing on it's head by the end.

This is an incredibly good independent horror film, not to be confused with the micro budget rubbish released weekly, a genuine stand out horror.

But like I said, this in my opinion is the Donnie Darko of indie horror, so I expect to see huge differences of opinion once the film is released.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2013 3:09 PM BST

Rhineland 1945 DVD
Rhineland 1945 DVD
Dvd ~ Derek Simmons
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good!, 31 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Rhineland 1945 DVD (DVD)
I think ANC is being more than a little harsh on this solid indie action drama. In a way I see his point, there are a mass of crap unwatchable war films on the market and if like me you buy any `war' film you too will know what he is saying, but to put this into that category is not accurate at all.

The colour tones of this film are very bleak, this is obviously intentional by the director who was trying to capture the horror and loneliness of war as felt by our main character, not down to budget constraints. The acting is good with a few exceptions, I wouldn't imagine for a second these guys are professional actors.

I thought the weaponary, battle scenes, attention to detail was spot on. Don't really have any opinion on the artwork, it's looks cool on my shelf, so that's good.

Against Saving Private Ryan or any other major studio product this would struggle, but as a standalone indie film with bags of heart I thought it was top notch. Would recommend to any war film buff, if you can live with the fact it's an indie film shot for probably thousands rather than even hundreds of thousands I think you'll enjoy it.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2012 3:34 PM BST

Knowing [DVD] [2009]
Knowing [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Nicolas Cage
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Good film almost ruined by Nic Cage, 31 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Knowing [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I have to say I really enjoyed the first 3/4 of this film, a really nice build up, Nic Cage on half decent form, but I really felt as though the last few minutes really hurt all the great work done before it.
Nic Cage seemed to have forgot he was acting on the days they shot the last few scenes, he really is terible at the end of the film.
I like Nic Cage, he has done some great work, but I would argue the last few minutes are his worst acting ever.
That said, the film is still good I would recommend if you like sci-fi/horror.

Dead Genesis DVD
Dead Genesis DVD
Dvd ~ Emily Alatalo
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Zombie Film, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Dead Genesis DVD (DVD)
Really enjoyed this film which takes the zombie genre in a different direction. The first 20 mins of the film, from the brilliant opening scenes to the spread of the zombie virus really set the tone well. Like I said overall I really enjoyed it.