Profile for Dave Lloyd > Reviews

Content by Dave Lloyd

Dave Lloyd (UK)

The Cleaner: Volume 2 (John Milton)
The Cleaner: Volume 2 (John Milton)
by Mark Dawson

2.0 out of 5 stars Good potential - poor execution, 8 Feb. 2016
basic storyline has potential, government hit man haunted by what he has done and with several demons, seeks to do something right. However, the editing errors, along with the factual errors and sometimes clunking continuity of plot make for a poor read overall. I was really looking forward to this, but it was a huge disappointment overall. I won't be reading any more of the books, but I would suggest the author get himself a decent proof-reader and editor.

The Long Mars: (Long Earth 3)
The Long Mars: (Long Earth 3)
by Stephen Baxter

2.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the first two books, 29 Oct. 2014
I enjoyed the first two books, but this is just boring. It also lacks any of the humour of the first two books and pretty much all the excitement. I was left disappointed at the poor construction and frustrated with the complete absence of plot. Major figures like Lobsang just have poor cameo roles. Despite travelling 250 million long Earths and a few million long Mars it just doesn't *go* anywhere. Doubt very much that I will read the next one

Karate Stupid
Karate Stupid
by Scott Langley

5.0 out of 5 stars both a dark and illuminating insight to intense karate training in Japan, 27 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Karate Stupid (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book - in fact I devoured it within 24 hours - but I enjoyed it in a different way to other books of westerner's experiences of martial arts in Japan, e.g. Moving Zen, Angry White Pyjamas, Year of the Chicken etc. Scott Langley writes with a brutal honesty about his experiences, although I suspect he has omitted some of the nastier events he encountered - maybe book 2 will be even franker - I hope he writes it. There is a dark theme that runs throughout this book, which all who seek to fulfil their dream of travelling to Japan and being accepted as an equal in Japanese Martial Arts, should take note of. The almost catastrophic mental deterioration due to the intense physical demands of the JKS Instructors Course and the cultural shock of living in Japan is palpable. However, that is not to say that the book is depressing or sad - far from it! Scott Langley interjects some grand, ironical humour in the recounting of his experiences, and taken in context, I think these are a real testament to the integral toughness of the guy. Probably the least romanticised, most compelling book of its type I have read. Well done that man.

Foothold
Foothold

5.0 out of 5 stars superb 2nd album, 18 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Foothold (Audio CD)
OK - first up , I have to declare a "Conflict of interest" as Denny is my brother-in law, but this superb duo really do not have to rely on nepotism - their renditions of traditional folk music is now legendary - do any google search on them - this is the second of their albums, and only second favourite for me to "Live at the wharf" But the best is truly when you see them live!

The Map
The Map
by TS Learner

2.0 out of 5 stars no real connection of characters, predicable & frankly boring, 7 July 2012
This review is from: The Map (Paperback)
The premise of the story is good I think, but the development of the relationships between the main pov characters is totally implausible! "Hi, we've hid this secret in our family in this far out village for 5 centuries - but Hey! your an American who fought for the IB - what can we tell you?" This is by far the least weakness in this VERY confused story! I would give it a big miss. The story rambles with poor connections and no development of the main themes. And BTW, I don't think it is at all reasonable Mr Learner, to con people who have paid good money for your book, to an internet site where you can "learn what happens next" but only if you subscribe to the author's updates. Crass, stupid and disrespectful of the reader - which pretty much sums up my feelings about the book.

Avoid

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid like the plague, 21 April 2012
Bought this on 28th Feb 2012, used it - at most - half a dozen times, whilst *gently* splitting a small log into largish kindling today (21/4/12) the head fell off!!! Although it was past the 30 day refund window, Amazon were very good, once I pointed out that it was not fit for purpose and once they checked the other similar reviews. Don't buy this item.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2012 11:46 AM BST

Year of the Chicken
Year of the Chicken
by Rob Redmond

5.0 out of 5 stars Good mix of Karate stories & life in Japan, 8 July 2007
This review is from: Year of the Chicken (Paperback)
This is an excellent example of a personal take on traveling to another country with a "dream" in mind. Although primarily of interest to practitioners of karate, I would also recommend it to anyone who intends to follow such a dream as Rob Redmond - and his incredibly supportive wife - did. The chapters take the reader through a series of mishaps, sometimes comical, through to some pretty hard hitting (pun intended) events that should make all practitioners of karate who want to train in Japan, think hard about the reality of living in a Japan that may at best be indifferent to their aspirations, and at worst, may treat them with a xenophobic intolerance. RR writes in an easy, self-deprecating style that makes the book hard to put down. If you enjoyed Moving Zen and Angry White Pyjamas, you will love this book. I view it as a very valuable addition to my collection.