Profile for Mr. GJ Borrows > Reviews

Content by Mr. GJ Borrows

Mr. GJ Borrows "[green eyes]" (Liverpool, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
System Of A Down
System Of A Down

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Not Angry, I Just Enjoy Kicking People..., 24 Jun. 2003
This review is from: System Of A Down (Audio CD)
You could imagine Rick Rubin's oversized beard twitching when he stood in a L.A club listening to what was going to become the new pioneers of heavy metal. Who would have guessed that a few years later, this band would have had their second album ranked among the greats of Led Zeppelin, Guns N'Roses,and Metallica.
Rick Rubin has done what he does best in the producers chair here; just pushing record. You can feel the rage ripping through tracks like Sugar and Suite Pee. Suddenly it drops off for tracks like Spiders where it builds up again. You get the feeling thats what Rubin and SOAD want to capture. They wanted to let rip on this album, because they knew their style wasn't suited to all tastes, and if they where successful, they couldcarry on. Well, we all know what happened in 2001...

Wish You Were Here - Gatefold [VINYL]
Wish You Were Here - Gatefold [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I Was There, 23 Jun. 2003
Pink Floyd, arguably the master of the concept album, won over rock fans all over the world with their classic albums 'The Wall' and 'Dark Side of the Moon'. This is highly underrated and should be up among the greatest albums...
Ah, nothing like the sound of the crackling of an old vinyl. The opening track(s), Shine On You Crazy Diamond (parts I - V) for approximately 15 minutes of instrumentation with some excellent guitar solo's from David Gilmour swirling around you in a psychedelic cloud of craftsmanship and beauty. After this the tributes for the original guitarist Syd Barrett begin to flow (You were caught on the cross fire of childhood and stardom).
After this comes what seems deeply sinister track music wise, Welcome to the Machines. I feel the lyrics are more of a message to Barrett (You bought a guitar to punish your ma,). Electronic instruments scatter the backing while the vocals sound strained and harsh.
Flipping over the old record, I find these tracks slightly less amazing as side A. Have a Cigar, the opener to side B, features a more upbeat bluesy edge, but we still have the same electronic instruments. This song, I feel, tracks the rise of Barrett to superstar (Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar. You're gonna go far). This features some more syncopated rhythms and general funk beats with another long guitar solo.
Wish You Were, the title track, is a laid back track which lyrically beautiful (So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain.) Basically, it's guitar chords and vocals with a few electronic instruments thrown in for good measure.
Finally, we return from our voyage to swirling winds and Shine On You Crazy Diamond parts VI -I X. Varied from the original, this reprise has a harsher bluesy edge in its mist of guitar solo that plays on the themes of part 1. Half way through the track it reverts into the beginning of the vocal in the first part. The lyrics in this part are better written in my opinion (And we'll bask in the shadow of yesterday's triumph, and sail on the steel breeze.) Before fading out in a fog of arpeggios reggae guitar upstrokes.
This album is a classic rock album that can challenge Pink Floyd's masterpieces any day of the week. Unfortunately, the second half lets it down, not that it's bad, just that side A is so good. I would recommend this to most as a chill out album and a good listen.

by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Eerie, Dark, and Powerful, 23 Jun. 2003
This book probably set a reading record unprecedented my most families. I myself bought it at 1:00pm on the saturday and had finished by 3:00pm the following day. I've got to say I was astounded I could purchease a copy with such ease, even more of what I read.
The book is easily the best of the series and definetly a lot more angrier. I don't think J.K Rowling even remembers the original child friendly novel now as we head towards the Dark Lord's return. This book is a lot more angrier, with Rowling suceeding in creating true teenage tempers, with Harry often losing his rag, and even a jealous scorn or two. However, I don't think the parents will object to having this on their bed side tables.
As we have come to expect of Rowling, her cast of characters are superb, especially the new DADA teacher. Like poisned honney she is. Also we expect from Rowling a setting which you feel like is your home. Again, she succeeds without effort with new places being used like new shops in Hogsmead.
I urge to read this book now, but the kids won't understand the politics.

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Penguin Popular Classics)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (Penguin Popular Classics)
by Oscar Wilde
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful What You Wish For, 23 Jun. 2003
I chose to read this book after watching the original black and white movie in class, even if I didn't understand it due to my absance for the first half of the film. I was very pleased with the book, and the beutiful style of Wilde's prose. It was so sensual in his description.
The book follows the highly narcissitc Dorian Gray, who after having a portrait of himself painted, wishes he would not age and the painting does. The statement be careful what you wish for is stark and powerful here, as we witness the slow demise of the aristocrat. The characters are built wondefully, with Wooton being a personal favourite. The settings are rich in vivdness and the language sublime. This is surely a masterpiece.

by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Eerie, Angry, and Dark, 22 Jun. 2003
This novel, the fifth in the Harry Potter series, probably broke records for the quickest read book in hisotry. The fact that it nears 800 pages is evidnece enough to show what JK Rowling has given us.
When you begin the book, you have a feeling that this is a lot deeper, a lot more of an anger outlet for Rowling. Numerous times we see Harry rampage, and scorn with jealously. It's obvious that Rowling is trying to allow her characters to be true teenagers. What surprises is that she succeeds. This aspect of the book, not only with the main protagonist and his companions, but outside characters such as Cho Chang.
The book succeeds expectation in most parts, except I feel the headquarter scenes which are drawn out. However, Rowling uses these scenes to subtley bring in the back sotry to which the mystery will unfold. You will also notice in this story that Dumbledore scene's are entirley rare until the ending chapters of the book.
The younger ones won't enjoy this much, failing to grasp the deeper politics of the inevitable facings as they continue. However, I'm sure the parent won't mind having this sublime book on the bookshelf. In my opinion, the best so far.

Short Bus
Short Bus

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough, 20 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Short Bus (Audio CD)
This album, the debut from Filter, shows the potential the band had. However, fantastic riff and chord sequences are ruined by very poor songwriting. Personally, I think the album is quite good, but if I had the option, would remove the vocals from it. I persoanlly prefer there more recent albums, and would only recommend this for fans of the band.

Ultimate Experience
Ultimate Experience
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius at Work, 20 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Ultimate Experience (Audio CD)
What we have here is the perfect CD to add to your guitar masters collection. A lot of Hendrix's greatest hits, including All Along the Watchtower, Voodoo Chile, and a fantastic live version of Wild Thing. However, this only gives you a glimpse at one of the best guitarists ever, and hopefully from here, you will be able to continue into and upinto Hendrix's emphatic guitaring.

Real Live One
Real Live One
Offered by \/\/ WORLD WIDE MEDIA MARKET /\/\

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Live Concert, 12 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Real Live One (Audio CD)
This live album, taken from around the release of Fear of the Dark, though not containing classics from Number of the Beast, is a superb album. With tracks from my favoruite Maiden album, 7th Son, and some brilliant versions of Wasting Love, Fear of the Dark, Be Quick or Be Dead, and Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter, this album is a superb place to start a Maiden collection.

Dead Ends and Girlfriends
Dead Ends and Girlfriends
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Potential, 5 Jun. 2003
This band has been raved about by a number of people but their debut album offers nothing new to the tired pop punk genre. 3 chords, 2 minute songs pretty much sums them up. The raw full on sound of the genre also fits the band. They aren't going to save the world with their forumla for music, but they are a happy band with a lot of potential shown in this album. Some of the songs are worse, with worse vocals on some, but there are some gems. Check out the covers of Fraggle Rawk and I want it that Way. Lets hope there second album can show something new.

Justified
Justified
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Justin Timberlake - Justified, 1 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Justified (Audio CD)
As many of my friends know, I do not look kindly on pop artists. I find modern day charts on the whole manufactured, made to look good, talentless and over all boring. However, I do know a good singer when I hear one, the same with a song and Justin caught my ear. Familiar with him from my sisters love of *NSync, my sibling forced me to listen.
From the moment you press play, and the funky syncopated beats of ‘Senorita’ begin, you feel impelled to dance. Justin’s singing voice seems tone perfect for the genre. The pop seems to take a back seat for this song as he R&B beats supported by soulful singing of approximately 4 octaves from Justin.
The next song was his first single. ‘Like I Love You’ features a great little guitar riff in the background and some excellent singing; The album generally continues in this form for the next song ‘(Oh No) What You Got’ featuring some eastern musical instrumentation.
The next to song are pure ballad. ‘Take it from Here’ is a pretty average love song, with some nice use of stringed instruments, while it’s follow up, ‘Cry Me a River’ is one of the finest pop songs you will hear this year. With Justin not only singing but using his own beat box, the song is superb, with Justin vocal ability used to its full potential.
The follow up song and his third single, ‘Rock Your Body’ is pure seventies disco feel. I thought it was slightly weak at first but now I see it’s quite a good song. The next two songs filter back to the R&B feel of tracks like ‘Like I Love You’ and feel pretty similar. Then it’s the third ballad, which seems kinda cheesy and all to similar to ‘Take it From Here’ with out the stringed quartet.
The last couple of songs continue to be a mixture of R&B and pop ballad which gets tiresome. Overall, an album which started by grabbing onto you with funky beats and not letting go becomes tiresome and repetitive towards the latter end of the album. However this is an above average pop album with a lot of R&B feel and shows that Justin will outlast his boy band friends.
Rating – 4/5