Profile for Philippa Langtree > Reviews

Acrylic Painting For Dummies
by Colette Pitcher
Price: 11.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate as a starting point, 19 Jun 2009
I bought this book because I'm a dummy, so I thought I'd give it a go as the only thing it assumes is that you can read and that you know what paint is. It's not bad as a starting point for beginners. The main bits I foumd useful were the sections on colour theory, types of paint, and ideas for what you can mix with paint to produce different effects. The main criticism is that the pictures are not very detailed or large enough, and most of them are not very helpful in demonstrating what the author is talking about.
I wouldn't pay more than 8 for it though. The full RRP is too much.

Courageous Leadership
Courageous Leadership
by Bill Hybels

5.0 out of 5 stars Buzzing, 29 April 2009
This review is from: Courageous Leadership (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book. I'm not in any sort of leadership but it really inspired me about the Acts concept of church, and how we can bring it back! I read about 1/4 of it on the train without stopping and came away buzzing. It's the sort of book that makes me want to get up in the mornings.

Recommended for any Christian who is in leadership (whether of a church or not) or anyone who has a vision to revolutionise church.

The Book of Digital Photography
The Book of Digital Photography
by Chris George
Edition: Perfect Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Inspiration for 20!, 22 Feb 2009
This is one of the best books on photography I've read. It says it covers everything from beginner to pro, and it does - although by "beginner" I think it means that you have a little experience with using a camera, rather than someone who has never picked up a camera before in their life. I used to be daunted at the idea of moving on from my compact, because all the buttons and settings on the SLRs look scary! But having read this book I'm quite excited about getting a more sophisticated camera!!

This book has all the technical stuff, but because I have a compact, a lot of the techie bits outlined in the book are fixed. This is why I've given it a 4, because the first 3rd of the book isn't that relevant to people with compacts. But the stuff on composition and manipulation is really inspirational - and has encouraged me to look at the world with a whole new perspective!

The Birth Of Venus
The Birth Of Venus
by Sarah Dunant
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really engrossing, magical book, 13 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Birth Of Venus (Paperback)
A brilliantly crafted novel. Kept me in suspense until the end. Whetted my apetite for Renaissance art while keeping me intrigued by a juicy plot. The main character, Alessandra, was so easy to fall in love with and I could hardly bear to put it down. Definitely 10 out of 10 - 15th Century Florence just leapt off the page!