Profile for Edward C. Williams > Reviews

Content by Edward C. Williams

Edward C. Williams "Ted Williams" (Nottingham, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Uncanny X-Men - Volume 1: Revolution (Marvel Now)
Uncanny X-Men - Volume 1: Revolution (Marvel Now)
by Brian Michael Bendis
Price: 17.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Reboot ?, 13 Sep 2013
Overall it's great fun, not as enjoyable as All-New X-men, but still makes me want the next volume.
The art is lovely, and the story feels unencumbered by the over complex and tortuous x- continuity.
It's the first X-men I've read for a while, but it won't be the last.

Batman Earth One HC (Batman (DC Comics))
Batman Earth One HC (Batman (DC Comics))
by Geoff Johns
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Bat yet, 27 Sep 2012
I'm almost speechless after reading this, as it's a fantastic retelling of the origin story, and really does manage to make the story vibrant and fresh again.
I can't resist making comparisons with both Batman:Year One, and Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins as they both take a similarly 'realistic' take on the story and strangely Alfred even looks to my eyes, a little like Christian Bale in some panels.
To me Batman :Earth One exceeds both of these as it reinvents the characters in some truly interesting ways and gives new insights to their motivations, while keeping the core identities intact.
However, the real revelation came with Gary Frank's art, I've always liked his stuff, but never been completely blown away until now.
Panel after panel, and page after page, is simply stunning. The book is filled with details, wonderfully characterful faces, and fantastically fluid action sequences.
There are also some sly references towards characters we already know, including a wonderful sight gag, and some incredibly intricately detailed backgrounds, so every page becomes a delight.

The story itself goes to some surprisingly dark places, but left me wishing this was an ongoing title, as I would definitely love to see more of this version of the caped crusader.

The Heroes
The Heroes
by Joe Abercrombie
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning..., 11 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Heroes (Hardcover)
This is the Fifth novel I have read by Joe Abercrombie and I should start the review by saying it's my favourite by quite some way.
Essentially it's the story of a battle fought over three days, between the forces of the Union and the armies of the North led by Black Dow.
Normally a list of over fifty characters at the start of the book would probably make me close it and put it back on the shelf, but here Abercrombie uses it as an opportunity to sneak a joke or two in.
The narrative switches around quite a bit, but never feels disjointed or patchy.
I've read a couple of comments about the book taking a while to get started, and while it does take about 80 pages before the hostilities commence, what comes before is still completely engrossing as it lays the groundwork for the conflict and establishes the key characters well.
The descriptions of combat are, brutal, vivid, and very well done, Abercrombie doesn't shirk from visceral descriptions of the injuries incurred by the combatants, and on several occasions he actually made me wince.
There is a wonderful sequence that perfectly shows the chaos and indiscriminate nature of the battle from the perspective of the men involved. It's such a simple trick I'm amazed I've never seen it done before in print.
He doesn't glorify violence or war however, indeed far from it, he simply shows us the decisions and their consequences, and how individuals can get swept along by these events to tragic effect.
As usual the dialogue is great, quickly establishing the characters and giving them each their own unique voices.
There is cruelty and cowardice, but very little actual heroism, and actually the heart of the book questions if that actually exists.
Great to see some familiar characters from other books appear and the world itself continues to grow in depth and character.

Oh and by the end of the book, you'll know how to make a Cheese Trap

Justice League of America: Team History
Justice League of America: Team History
by James Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars The next book should be great, 10 Feb 2011
Well, first the good news, Mark Bagley's art is excellent, it's even better than what he drew during his record run on Ultimate Spidey.
He copes with the huge cast of characters well, draws some great action sequences, and delivers some really cool splash pages too.
The problem comes with the story, in that nothing about it gives him anything truly interesting to do, plus it feels very disjointed to read, and never really goes anywhere that's genuinely new.
It starts during Blackest Night, and is set Immediately after the Cry for Justice mini-series, both of which have a big impact on the events in this book, as it attempts to address the repercussions on the League's roster.
The first half of the book is essentially an extended flight scene, interspersed with some flashbacks, which while it's done well enough, goes on for far too long.
The second half is better, and ends with a genuinely interesting final two page spread, that does make me want to see what comes next.
I know that the big yearly 'events' that Marvel and DC insist on perpetuating are always going to impact to some degree on the regular monthly books, and hence on these compilations, but the stories here really do suffer as a result.
James Robinson is a great writer, but this story has far too many disparate elements and really isn't a good place for a new reader to start, even though it's touted as a bold, new era.
I look forward to what comes next, but this is a bit of a shaky start and only worth buying if your a completist, or a big Bagley fan

Pathfinder Adventure Path: Kingmaker Part 1 - Stolen Land
Pathfinder Adventure Path: Kingmaker Part 1 - Stolen Land
by Tim Hitchcock

4.0 out of 5 stars Sandbox anyone ?, 7 Feb 2011
I'd checked out the various adventure paths on the Paizo site before I purchased this so pretty much knew what i was getting into in advance.
This series of modules, is initially designed to be much less structured than normal adventure paths with more onus on the players to explore and do the sub quests in any order they like, just like the 'sandbox' which can found employed in many popular video games
This volume really only sets up the area ready for the rest of the adventure path, and comes with plenty of background and encounters to give flavour to the vicinity the adventurers will find themselves in.
The only reason I don't give this the full five stars is I would have liked a little bit more 'meat' to the main adventure, as it's essentially only another series of linked encounters.
To be fair that's easily fixed by a creative GM, but i still felt it let things down somewhat, and could have been done better
Slickly produced with lovely art, this is another quality product,as an aside I bought vol 2 at the same time, and that neatly builds on the foundation laid here, so I would suggest getting both to allow you to weave the two together better and kickstart your campaign properly
One slight word of caution, although the first two volumes are engrossing enough stuff, from my reading so far, things don't really shift into a higher gear until volume three so if you want to really start things with a bang you'll need to engineer that yourself or look elsewhere.

Year Of The Black Rainbow (Special Edition)
Year Of The Black Rainbow (Special Edition)
Price: 16.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Juggernaut..., 7 Feb 2011
As others have commented this release does mark a bit of a departure for the band.
And yet, after listening to the first album again I'm reminded how broad their range is so, I guess we shouldn't be too surprised
Whilst most of the elements are still in place, and it's a strong album as a whole, this somehow still feels a little less Coheedsive(?)
I have to admit, I was one of those who hated it on first and second listens, but as time has moved on I've come to appreciate it more.
C&C are still wonderfully innovative, gloriously over the top, and write some great melodies, so it's good to see they're not content to simply rehash what they've done before.
Stand out tracks for me are the punishing 'Here we are Juggernaut' the quirky 'Far', and the sublime 'Made Out of Nothing'
Can't quite give it five stars, but lets be honest one star worth of these guys is worth four of most people, and I'm fascinated to see where they go next.

Absolute All Star Superman
Absolute All Star Superman
by Grant Morrison

5.0 out of 5 stars All star indeed !, 23 Dec 2010
I love this book, because it's a great big celebration of all the things I really enjoy about comics.
It's definitely a Superman written for the modern generation, but it harks back to many elements of the character that long time fans have always appreciated.
Mr Morrison and Mr Quitely have turned in a great story that neatly references all the key parts of the Superman mythos, and sharply evokes memories of the 80 page giants I used to buy when I was a lad.
It's great to see the characters taken seriously, without being grim, and the art is at turns majestic and whimsical, in particular the way Clark Kent is drawn is a real delight.
I'm glad to have this in an Absolute version, and ordered it even though i have the all original issues, as the art looks even more stunning at the larger page size.
It's one of those books i know i will return to time after time, as it is a fantastic celebration of the medium

The Union
The Union
Price: 12.56

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album that just gets better..., 18 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Union (Audio CD)
As a long time Thunder fan, i picked this up after downloading 'Step up to the Plate' earlier this year.
Initially I was listening to this in the car while I did my morning commute so I can't claim to have given it my total attention, and thus was not completely blown away.
However, now after having lived with the CD for a week or two, it's probably right up there as my album of the year, and the reason is simple, it's quality stuff.
A great singer, and a very talented Guitarist, who are obviously enjoying what they do immensely, have produced a proper album with a great bluesy sound and a laid back, bar room vibe.
Standout tracks for me are 'Holy Roller' and 'This Time Next Year' though i don't think there is a duff song in the bunch.
Missed them playing live nearby unfortunately, but I certainly won't next time.
I'll say it again, quality stuff, and I for one, can't wait for the next one....

The Reapers are the Angels
The Reapers are the Angels
by Alden Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the only Road, 17 Sep 2010
It's a crying shame that this novel is going to get compared to The Road an awful lot.
That's not because i feel it falls short in terms of storytelling, or emotional impact, because i feel it delivers both in plenty.
It's more that as that book casts such a long shadow, there is a danger this story might get overlooked as a result.
Alden Bell has created a really engrossing tale that i finished in an evening such was the way it gripped and entertained me, well strictly speaking i read through the night, but i did finish it all in one sitting.
At turns horrific, though not gory, and times wonderfully emotive, it's a story that takes a lot of the post-apocalypse/zombie holocaust elements and puts a more lyrical spin on them.
There are some great images in here that will stay with you for a long time, and some eclectic characters to enjoy.
And that's the key for me, whilst i read The Road, and think it's a truly stunning book, I'm not sure I could read it again as i found it completely draining, The Reapers are Angels, on the other hand, i predict will get reread many times

3.5mm Stereo Plug to Stereo Plug 1.2 Mtrs Gold
3.5mm Stereo Plug to Stereo Plug 1.2 Mtrs Gold
Offered by FT-Deal.
Price: 0.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal, 17 Sep 2010
Item arrived quickly, and seems to work fine.
Great service, no problems at all

Page: 1 | 2