Profile for maurice baker > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Whispers
Whispers

4.0 out of 5 stars WHISPERS TO BE HEARD, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Whispers (Audio CD)
I play Mike Rosenberg's (Passenger) albums more than any other in the car, which is my main music venue. I love his clever but insightful and heartfelt lyrics, the excellent tunes and extremely sensitive musical arrangements. I probably prefer his previous disc, All The Little Lights, which I think is almost perfect - every song a gem. Whispers is also excellent but not quite to the same high standard throughout. The best tracks, for me, are the story songs. Riding To New York, for example, a wistful tale of some guy Mike met at a service station in Wisconsin who's going to see his daughter and grandchildren one last time before he snuffs it ( he's dying from lung cancer - a warning to all smokers including the author). The other one, Bullets, is about another lonely bloke who collected spent cartridges 'since the age of nine' because, though his memories of married life fade, 'the bullets still shine like coins in the snow.' However, one day the old man is robbed of his haul so he 'doesn't leave the house much anymore'. It sounds like a story read in a newspaper but that doesn't matter, it's still poignant and, like all the others, sung in that distinctive and slightly other-worldly voice of Mike's. The two songs which prevent me awarding this album five stars are '27' and 'Scare Away The Dark'. In both cases the songs are almost embarrassingly honest, which isn't necessarily a fault but make both sound a little immature to my ears (though I'm a lot older than the author so maybe that's my problem). Scare Away The Dark comes across as sing-along song aimed at teens, e.g. 'just because that's what mum and dad said we should do'. But, he advises, we should 'run through the forests, swim in the streams, we should laugh, we should cry, we should love, we should dream, we should stare at the stars and not just at screens'. The last bit is good but the rest just sounds too soppy to me. However, no doubt it goes down well with the fans at live gigs. Overall this is an excellent album and far more original and thoughtful than his rivals such as Ed Sheeran (with whom he is sometimes quite wrongly compared).

LP Latin Percussion LP188 - FOOT TAMBOURINE Percussions Tambourine
LP Latin Percussion LP188 - FOOT TAMBOURINE Percussions Tambourine

4.0 out of 5 stars Foot Tambourine Review - loud for its size!, 6 May 2014
I really like the foot tambourine which, I suspect, would work best with children. Though it works fine and is quite loud for its size, my only niggle is that it's a bit tricky to take on and off.

Flight Of The Crow
Flight Of The Crow
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Passenger, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Flight Of The Crow (Audio CD)
Mike Rosenberg (Passenger) is a brilliant singer-songwriter who I first came across on Jools Holland's TV programme 'Later'. I bought 'All The Little Lights' which is definitely my favourite 2013 album. 'Flight of the Crows' is the album preceding 'Lights' and though not as strong (somewhat contrived lyrically) it has many comparisons with similar excellent musical arrangements.

Elixir 80/20 Bronze Acoustic Sets Ultra-Thin Nanoweb Coating - Light (0.012 - 0.053)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Guitar Strings, 26 Feb. 2014
I've used these guitar strings regularly and they have a nice crisp tone. I've been informed they last a lng time but I have yet to test that claim.

The Mayor of MacDougal Street: A Memoir of the 60's Folk Revival
The Mayor of MacDougal Street: A Memoir of the 60's Folk Revival
by Dave Van Ronk

5.0 out of 5 stars Best (American) Folk Music Biography, 26 Feb. 2014
Dave Van Ronk's biography is the best book on folk music (American anyway) I've read. It's informative, humorous and packed full of anecdotes involving musicians, managers, and all the various movers and shakers, etc, involved in the Greenwich Village scene of the Fifties and Sixties. Don't be put of by the pathetic film, directed by the Coen brothers, 'Inside Llewyn Davies', which is based on the book. The movie portrays Van Ronk as a self-obsessed loner which he most definitely wasn't. In fact he was an extremely gifted and influential figure who befriended and supported many others who, like Dylan, Paxton, Ochs, etc, became a lot more famous (sometimes, like Dylan, ripping off Dave's songs and arrangements).

Month Of Sundays (feat. Brian Campeau & Elana Stone)
Month Of Sundays (feat. Brian Campeau & Elana Stone)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Passenger - no passenger, 18 Dec. 2013
I bought this after All The Little Lights and can see a development - musically and lyrically. It's not quite up to his later album but still really good, though some of the lyrics seem a bit forced or not quite right. The musical arrangements are a foretaste of ATLL - very well thought out by Mike and his fellow musicians and played with energy and a lightness of touch. My only slight criticism is the number of 'Oh oh's' thrown in for no apparent reason.

All The Little Lights
All The Little Lights

5.0 out of 5 stars Passenger / Mike Rosenberg is brilliant!, 18 Dec. 2013
This review is from: All The Little Lights (Audio CD)
I bought All The Little Lights after just seeing Mike Rosenberg sing his hit song, Let Her Go, on Jools Holland's 'Later' and have not been disappointed (unlike most other artists I buy from limited hearing). I listen to the album in the car repeatedly and cannot fault it in any way. As a folkie musician myself I like to think I'm pretty discerning and there's not much I haven't heard before but Passenger is really something fresh, original, bright, literate, interesting, insightful and full of a strange kind of joy (despite some rather dark lyrics in places). Also, having checked out interviews and YouTube clips, Mike Rosenberg comes across as a genuinely modest and decent bloke. Disarmingly honest in fact.

Tone Deaf Music Guitar Picks/Plectrums with Pick Holder (Pack of 10)
Tone Deaf Music Guitar Picks/Plectrums with Pick Holder (Pack of 10)
Offered by Tone Deaf Music

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 Guitar Plectrums & Holder, 27 Sept. 2013
Very good value for money and a useful product. Delivery was quick and effective. No problems - I'd recommend it to others.

Boston Guitar Capo: Black 'Trigger action' Capo to suit Acoustic or Electric 6-string Guitar
Offered by Dangleberry Music

3.0 out of 5 stars Boston Guitar Capo, 27 Sept. 2013
Good value for money but the spring is rather strong and difficult to operate. Though adjustable, there are other better designs on the market.

Angel Time: The Songs of the Seraphim
Angel Time: The Songs of the Seraphim
by Anne Rice

2.0 out of 5 stars Angel Time, 27 Sept. 2013
I heard the author being interviewed on the radio - never having come across her before - and she sounded interesting. However, I soon found the book wasn't my thing. However, this was probably my fault for not researching it fully before purchasing.

Page: 1 | 2