Profile for Mark Hoskins > Reviews

Double Jeopardy (DVD) [2000]
Double Jeopardy (DVD) [2000]
Dvd ~ Tommy Lee Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 2 Aug 2007
This review is from: Double Jeopardy (DVD) [2000] (DVD)
Not only did they get the concept of double jeopardy wrong - Ashley Judd's character actually could have been tried as the murder of her husband would not legally have been considered the same crime - but they also made a terrible movie. The ending is a movie cliche that was used to get the writer out of a bind and tie up the lose ends.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2013 3:41 PM BST

The Definitive Guide To Screenwriting
The Definitive Guide To Screenwriting
by Syd Field

1.0 out of 5 stars Proof in the pudding!, 25 July 2007
Syd Field's book contains some usefull pointers, however you could outline the jist of this in ten pages. His rules are there to be broken, yeah its good to know them but sticking rigidly to them makes for a formulaic movie.
After reading this book I wondered about Syd Field's credentials so I looked him up on the internet. Turns out Syd has "Collaborated" on two movies; White Palace and City of Joy. I can't comment on them as I have never seen either but Its hardly a prolific or particularly succesful output from the supposed "guru of screenwriters".

Live Jam
Live Jam

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 Jan 2007
This review is from: Live Jam (Audio CD)
Its 12 or 13 years ago now since I bought this album but its one I keep coming back to. It was my introduction to the Jam. I'd gotten into Weller in the Wildwood era and vaguely new something about the jam and him being in the band. It was about the time I was becoming obsessed with all things mod. My dad's old Who and Small Faces records used to go on every day after school. Then I heard Live Jam! Wow! The power, the aggression, the sheer energy coupled with Weller's musical genious had me hooked right away. All these years later and The Jam and The Style Council are still two of my favourite bands.

Buy it!

The Atlantean Irish: Ireland's Oriental and Maritime Heritage
The Atlantean Irish: Ireland's Oriental and Maritime Heritage
by Bob Quinn

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stuff, 14 Dec 2006
Bob Quinns book is most successful at debunking the myth that the Irish are one homogonous "Celtic" people. He pulls apart the stagnant orthodoxy that is the study of early Irish history and breaths new life into the area. He charts the developement of Irish culture, through our Maritime past, our linguistic and culural History along the atlantic Seabord to the Iberian peninsula and North Africa. A real kick in the teeth to racists and those who claim the Irish as a "European" Indo-European or Aryan "Race".
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2014 1:46 PM BST