Profile for M. Morton > Reviews

Content by M. Morton

M. Morton "A Reader" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Very effective slimming aid, 25 Aug 2011
Some years ago, my weight had crept up to 102kg (I'm 5'11"). My doctor prescribed Xenical. It worked a treat - I lost lots of weight over a couple of months. However, the side effects were pretty dire, and sometimes embarrassing. Last month, in an effort to get trim again, I ordered Alli tablets (an Over The Counter version of Xenical). They contain only half the active ingredient of the prescription only drug, and so the side effects are far less, and quite manageable. Already, I've lost a few pounds - as evidenced by my trousers slipping down onto my hips. For those who have tried everything else, I would recommend they give Alli a try. Remember, that if you skip a meal or eat a fat-free meal you don't have to take a capsule. On average, I take just two a day - and sometimes just one. So quite economical. Also, important to remember that you should take a multi-vitamin supplement a few hours after taking Alli, because the drug affects the absorption of fat soluble vitamins. i certainly recommend.

Epson Stylus SX125 All-in-One (Print, Scan, Copy) Printer (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!, 22 Jan 2011
I purchased this printer several months ago. Don't be tempted by the low price - it is rubbish! It sets up okay on the computer (I have a Mac), but initial adjustment of paper guide was difficult, and required brute strength. Once it was up and running, it was much slower than previous printers I have used. Then, after very little use, the paper feed went crazy. Documents were scrumpled, if they printed at all. And now, after just three to four months, the thing has stopped altogether. Dreadful. I reckon that Epson realised they had produced a dud, which is why it is so cheap. Stay clear!

The Jerome Conspiracy: Second Edition
The Jerome Conspiracy: Second Edition
by Michael Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 17 Mar 2010
An excellent book.

I am wary of any work that includes 'conspiracy' in the title. However, I was led to it by other research that I have done, and was pleasantly surprised by the content. It is very well informed, and superbly written.

I recommend this book to Christians of all traditions who want to understand the wonderful love of God.

He Was My Chief: The Memoirs of Adolf Hitler's Secretary
He Was My Chief: The Memoirs of Adolf Hitler's Secretary
by Christa Schroeder

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful insight, 11 July 2009
The Nazi years continue to fascinate. This book, written from the records of one of Hitler's secretaries, gives a rare insight into the 'inner world' of the Third Reich. It concentrates upon the day to day routines of Hitler and his closest circle of aides and advisors, and reminds us that notorious tyrants such as Hitler are also very human. As a boss, he was courteous, kind, and approachable - he even received criticism with good grace. For those who wish to understand the dynamics of Hitlerism - from the early 1930s to the last days of the Fuerher bunker - this is a must read.

iMac 20-inch Core 2 Duo, 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, GeForce 9400M/SD
iMac 20-inch Core 2 Duo, 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, GeForce 9400M/SD

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 1 Jun 2009
A superb machine. Admittedly more expensive than a comparable PC, but - if you can afford it - well worth the extra expense. Easy to set up. Simple to use. Fast and trouble free operation. Also, the screen quality is outstanding, as is the styling. I heartily recommend this machine to anyone who requires a desk-based computer that does what it says on the tin!

The Secret Message of Jesus: Uncovering the Truth That Could Change Everything
The Secret Message of Jesus: Uncovering the Truth That Could Change Everything
by Brian McLaren

3.0 out of 5 stars A 'must read' for evangelicals, 7 Mar 2009
I feel a little guilty for giving this book only a 3 star rating. It is a 'must read'for those evangelicals who have begun to wonder whether there is more to the Gospel than they have been taught. For such people, this book could transform the way they understand Christianity forever! And for the better.

My reservations focus upon the author's apparent suggestion that his insights are in some way new. Perhaps, given his status as an evangelical writer and preacher, he is reluctant to admit it, but he says nothing that 'liberal' Christian thinkers have not argued for many decades.

I am also a little irritated that McLaren (like the Fundamentalists he decries) ignores Biblical scholarship by accepting that Jesus said the words attributed to him in the Gospels.I get the feeling that within McLaren is a Christian 'liberal' struggling to come out.

Still, despite my criticisms, the book is a worthy read. Evangelicals will (I hope) find it an eye-opener. Other Christians will be pleasantly surprised at how far some evangelical teachers have come in their appreciation of the life and teaching of Jesus.

Overall, I enjoyed the Book and found it useful and inspiring.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2014 7:41 AM BST

TomTom ONE v4 Satellite Navigation System - Western Europe
TomTom ONE v4 Satellite Navigation System - Western Europe

4.0 out of 5 stars A good budget purchase, 7 Mar 2009
I purchased the Tom Tom One Europe as an emergency 'stop gap' when my more expensive unit (from another manufacturer) seized up.

Although there are one or two drawbacks - especially the very basic map display - I have been extremely impressed. The Tom Tom is easy to use, and the calculated journey times are extremely accurate.

I would recommend the Tom Tom Europe to anybody who requires a basic and reliable sat nav for use both in the UK and Western Europe. At the price, it is a bargain.

Acer Aspire One A150-Bw Netbook, Windows XP Home, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB HD (Seashell White)

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent buy, 4 Jan 2009
I purchased a Windows XP version a few weeks ago, and am extremely pleased with the product. It is light, stylish, easy to use, and (for its size) powerful.

If, like me, you need highly mobile IT capability, you will love this computer.

My only gripe is that the included MS Office Suite is a trial version, and extra expense is required to download the full version. Still, for the price, and given the machine's portability, I am very content with the purchase.

Intempo Digital GX-01 Internet Radio/Music Centre (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sound at a brilliant price, 8 Sep 2008
I live in Germany and wanted an internet radio to connect to radio stations back in the UK.

I have not been disappointed. Easy to set up, easy to use, and with quality sound - this set is quite excellent.

Klipsch iGroove HG iPod Speaker System Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Klipsch iGroove HG iPod Speaker System Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 8 Sep 2008
I am new to MP3/IPod technology.

When my daughter upgraded to an IPod Touch, she gave me her old player. I then searched for a docking system that would give high quality sound at a reasonable price.

I'm more than pleased with the Klipsch iGroove. It is easy to set up, and works well.

On the downside, it sounds rather 'localised' - like a high quality radio - rather than offering a room filling sound that I hoped for. For this reason, I award only four stars. However, balancing cost and quality, I recommend this system unreservedly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3