Profile for M. Morton > Reviews

Content by M. Morton

M. Morton "A Reader" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Overcoming Depression: A self- help guide using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques
by Paul Gilbert

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for every depressed person, 1 Aug. 2012
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is very much in vogue, not least because it is relatively cheap to provide. Politicians and Health Service managers/accountants talk it up. It claims a scientific foundation, but is not dissimilar to the 'new thought' and 'positive thinking' therapies that go back to the late 19th Century. My view is that these approaches can be very helpful, but only to some people.

If you are clinically depressed, this book may help you. I hope so, and it is definitely worth a look. However, it will leave other depressed people cold. It certainly did me. The very thought of the prescribed CBT processes leaves me exhausted.

Also, as somebody trained in philosophy/theology, I think that CBT can be rather glib. If a CBT therapist was to recommend his/her thoughts to me, I might be tempted to refer him/her to Kierkegaard or Sartre.

For anybody who is seriously depressed, this book is worth the few pounds it costs. If, like me, you find it a bit annoying, please take heart. There are other solutions out there!

Tipi Living (Simple Living)
Tipi Living (Simple Living)
by Patrick Whitefield

3.0 out of 5 stars A very basic introduction, 16 Oct. 2011
Tipis are quite fashionable. Some live in them. Some use them for camping and festivals etc. Others put them in their gardens to provide a bit of a retreat. Having read bits and pieces on the internet, I wanted a book that I could look through, and consult. What size tipi should I buy? What covering material should I choose? What problems might I encounter? What should go inside by way of furniture, heating etc? What regular maintenance is involved? etc etc. This little book (and I emphasise 'little') is okay so far as it goes, and is well worth reading. There is useful stuff in it. It is also nice and cheap. Yes, do buy this book if you are interested in buying and using a tipi, but - having read it - you are still likely to have many questions.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Very effective slimming aid, 25 Aug. 2011
Some years ago, my weight had crept up to 102kg (I'm 5'11"). My doctor prescribed Xenical. It worked a treat - I lost lots of weight over a couple of months. However, the side effects were pretty dire, and sometimes embarrassing. Last month, in an effort to get trim again, I ordered Alli tablets (an Over The Counter version of Xenical). They contain only half the active ingredient of the prescription only drug, and so the side effects are far less, and quite manageable. Already, I've lost a few pounds - as evidenced by my trousers slipping down onto my hips. For those who have tried everything else, I would recommend they give Alli a try. Remember, that if you skip a meal or eat a fat-free meal you don't have to take a capsule. On average, I take just two a day - and sometimes just one. So quite economical. Also, important to remember that you should take a multi-vitamin supplement a few hours after taking Alli, because the drug affects the absorption of fat soluble vitamins. i certainly recommend.

Epson Stylus SX125 All-in-One (Print, Scan, Copy) Printer
Epson Stylus SX125 All-in-One (Print, Scan, Copy) Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!, 22 Jan. 2011
I purchased this printer several months ago. Don't be tempted by the low price - it is rubbish! It sets up okay on the computer (I have a Mac), but initial adjustment of paper guide was difficult, and required brute strength. Once it was up and running, it was much slower than previous printers I have used. Then, after very little use, the paper feed went crazy. Documents were scrumpled, if they printed at all. And now, after just three to four months, the thing has stopped altogether. Dreadful. I reckon that Epson realised they had produced a dud, which is why it is so cheap. Stay clear!

The Jerome Conspiracy: Second Edition
The Jerome Conspiracy: Second Edition
by Michael Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 17 Mar. 2010
An excellent book.

I am wary of any work that includes 'conspiracy' in the title. However, I was led to it by other research that I have done, and was pleasantly surprised by the content. It is very well informed, and superbly written.

I recommend this book to Christians of all traditions who want to understand the wonderful love of God.

He Was My Chief: The Memoirs of Adolf Hitler's Secretary
He Was My Chief: The Memoirs of Adolf Hitler's Secretary
by Christa Schroeder

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful insight, 11 July 2009
The Nazi years continue to fascinate. This book, written from the records of one of Hitler's secretaries, gives a rare insight into the 'inner world' of the Third Reich. It concentrates upon the day to day routines of Hitler and his closest circle of aides and advisors, and reminds us that notorious tyrants such as Hitler are also very human. As a boss, he was courteous, kind, and approachable - he even received criticism with good grace. For those who wish to understand the dynamics of Hitlerism - from the early 1930s to the last days of the Fuerher bunker - this is a must read.

iMac 20-inch Core 2 Duo, 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, GeForce 9400M/SD
iMac 20-inch Core 2 Duo, 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, GeForce 9400M/SD

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 1 Jun. 2009
A superb machine. Admittedly more expensive than a comparable PC, but - if you can afford it - well worth the extra expense. Easy to set up. Simple to use. Fast and trouble free operation. Also, the screen quality is outstanding, as is the styling. I heartily recommend this machine to anyone who requires a desk-based computer that does what it says on the tin!

The Secret Message of Jesus: Uncovering the Truth That Could Change Everything
The Secret Message of Jesus: Uncovering the Truth That Could Change Everything
by Brian McLaren

3.0 out of 5 stars A 'must read' for evangelicals, 7 Mar. 2009
I feel a little guilty for giving this book only a 3 star rating. It is a 'must read'for those evangelicals who have begun to wonder whether there is more to the Gospel than they have been taught. For such people, this book could transform the way they understand Christianity forever! And for the better.

My reservations focus upon the author's apparent suggestion that his insights are in some way new. Perhaps, given his status as an evangelical writer and preacher, he is reluctant to admit it, but he says nothing that 'liberal' Christian thinkers have not argued for many decades.

I am also a little irritated that McLaren (like the Fundamentalists he decries) ignores Biblical scholarship by accepting that Jesus said the words attributed to him in the Gospels.I get the feeling that within McLaren is a Christian 'liberal' struggling to come out.

Still, despite my criticisms, the book is a worthy read. Evangelicals will (I hope) find it an eye-opener. Other Christians will be pleasantly surprised at how far some evangelical teachers have come in their appreciation of the life and teaching of Jesus.

Overall, I enjoyed the Book and found it useful and inspiring.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2014 7:41 AM BST

TomTom ONE v4 Satellite Navigation System - Western Europe
TomTom ONE v4 Satellite Navigation System - Western Europe

4.0 out of 5 stars A good budget purchase, 7 Mar. 2009
I purchased the Tom Tom One Europe as an emergency 'stop gap' when my more expensive unit (from another manufacturer) seized up.

Although there are one or two drawbacks - especially the very basic map display - I have been extremely impressed. The Tom Tom is easy to use, and the calculated journey times are extremely accurate.

I would recommend the Tom Tom Europe to anybody who requires a basic and reliable sat nav for use both in the UK and Western Europe. At the price, it is a bargain.

Acer Aspire One A150-Bw Netbook, Windows XP Home, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB HD (Seashell White)

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent buy, 4 Jan. 2009
I purchased a Windows XP version a few weeks ago, and am extremely pleased with the product. It is light, stylish, easy to use, and (for its size) powerful.

If, like me, you need highly mobile IT capability, you will love this computer.

My only gripe is that the included MS Office Suite is a trial version, and extra expense is required to download the full version. Still, for the price, and given the machine's portability, I am very content with the purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3