Profile for Abel Abelson > Reviews

Content by Abel Abelson

Abel Abelson (Brussels, Belgium)

Designer CVS007 ComSafe Vision anti glare Computer Glasses , Gamer , TV , glasses
Offered by Eco PL Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but consider prescription glasses, 26 May 2012
These glasses have a coating with a slight tint and when I started using them I did feel relief from dry and itchy eyes and burning eyelids. So it does what it is supposed to do. Initially I was very happy with them. They are also very light and comfortable to wear.

However there are some drawbacks. The coating is not perfectly evenly applied, and second I found that it reflects my own eyes and the windows/lights behind me, which I found annoying and tiring on itself in the end. Also, I have the impression (but this is only an impression) that over time and with frequent cleaning, the coating will be damaged (it feels very slightly "sticky", like painted on).

Finally, as I will be using the computer a lot since my change of work, I decided to buy "real" glasses and went to some opticians. One of them (not all!) could show me glasses especially made for computer eyestrain problems with the technical specifications in hand (they all say they do, but finally just propose a tint which has its disadvantages also). These are crystal clear (no tint), but filter a.o. UV and have anti-glare - and a tiny correction for one eye I needed after all. I bought them and am perfectly happy with these.

So while the ComSafe glasses are NOT a scam - they DO work -, I find them not entirely well designed. But in a certain sense they might be worth the money - my optician's glasses cost me a lot more of course (150 euros / about 120 GBP).

Eating The Moment: 141 Mindful Practices to Overcome Overeating One Meal at a Time
by Pavel G. Somov

4.0 out of 5 stars No-nonsense, practical and interesting, 12 Jan. 2010
In a direct, down-to-earth, concise and frank style, without esoteric babbling or page-filling, the author guides you with practical propositions, commentaries, observations, and interesting psychological and physiological facts you can't deny (but always unconciously have, in many cases), into becoming more aware of all the things that happen in your body and mind related to eating. Simply becoming aware of what happens when you eat, digest, or feel hungry, is in my experience already enough to initiate a huge change in how, what, how much, and when you eat, and this book can be a good help.
This is a book purely aimed at helping you become a more mindful eater - no diet plans or nutritional or health-related information about specific foods or diets. It is about emancipating...

I personally appreciate the no-nonsense tone, which is a difference from many other books about mindfulness that tend to be a bit "floaty" and too "nice" for me.

In the same line, I can also recommend One Bowl: A Guide to Eating for Body and Spirit...

Fragrant Palm Leaves: Journals, 1962-66
Fragrant Palm Leaves: Journals, 1962-66
by Thich Nhat Hanh

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and touching, 8 Dec. 2009
For those interested in the more personal side of famous zen teacher Thich Nhat Hanh, this is a very openhearted, honest and inspiring collection of his thoughts, memories, pains, difficulties and simple daily stuff - as well as fresh profound wisdom - from his young and more activist, explosive years.
A fine glimpse into where this now-famous and very wise old man comes from...

Lumina
Lumina
by Brigitte Weninger

4.0 out of 5 stars Touching and beautiful, 12 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Lumina (Hardcover)
A touching story on the harsh reality of how "cold" the world and people can be, but with a beautiful and very heartwarming ending.
The "top layer" is very concrete and understandable for children, and at the same time real and hopeful, while there is a lot of depth for adults also - psychologically, spiritually and as a metaphor for the state of the world.

Maybe not for the smallest children, as unfriendliness and harshness can be too disturbing for them, but for those that are already a bit bigger (maybe from 5-6 years on) highly recomendable. The watercolor paintings are exquisite and realistic, and very artistic in a loose way.

Lumina is an orphan girl wandering in the cold with a small candle, being rejected by suspicious people everywhere - only the wolves in the forest do not attack her... Then even her candle blows out, but with the help of an owl she finds her way through the forest, encounters a boy who lights her candle again sharing his own little flame, and finally finds a warm home.

Healing with Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition
Healing with Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition
by Paul Pitchford

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful - so use with caution, 10 Mar. 2009
First of all, I have to agree with most other reviewers that this book is an amazing source of information, extremely well researched, very balanced also, not trying to prove one or another theory or promote a lifestyle, but really just trying to help. It inspires a lot of confidence and is a great companion in my life. I am very grateful to Paul Pitchford for this invaluable contribution to our cultural heritage...

However, be careful... It is very hard for someone who has not had serious training in Eastern medicine to really grasp concepts as "dampness", "dryness", "heat" and "cold". So it can be dangerous in the sense that one may totally misunderstand one's own condition, and then start to act according to what Pitchford prescribes for this condition - and end up getting worse, because one doesn't have this condition but another one... This has happended to some degree to myself and my wife - nothing dramatic though, but still, a bit of a pity. So now we go to a practitioner in Chinese medicine (an acupuncturist), who diagnoses us, and only then we look up in Pitchford's book what is appropriate food for us, what to avoid and what to use more. In this way, it is a great help.

So to sum it all up: a real treasure; with lots of essential things that everyone should know about food and health; based on profound insight and experience; but I would recommend that <diagnosis> of your specific condition is made by an experienced practitioner of Chinese medicine, and not by yourself on the basis of this book - however tempting it may be...

(And for those interested in macrobiotics - see this as the full, original, authentic and extended version of what Kushi and others have popularized, simplified and somewhat twisted...)