Profile for London > Reviews

London (UK)

Danubia: A Personal History of Habsburg Europe
Danubia: A Personal History of Habsburg Europe
by Simon Winder

5.0 out of 5 stars And just like I think it did massively worth the effort to ..., 15 Feb. 2016
I must admit I struggled with the style initially, but to be fair, I also struggled with Tolkien at first. And just like I think it did massively worth the effort to get used to Tolkien, I am glad I made the effort with Mr Winder. After my initial doubt I found his sidetrackings quite entertaining. I would not give 5 stars for a book only because it turned out to be funny though. The reason I think this is a brilliant work and a great read is that this book provides a unique perspective on European history: more of an exciting exploration following Mr Winder into known and less known areas (and probably totally forgotten or ignored dark corners) of history, rather than a lecture.

Honda XL125V & VT125C Shadow: 2000-2010 (Haynes Motorcycle Manuals)
Honda XL125V & VT125C Shadow: 2000-2010 (Haynes Motorcycle Manuals)
by Phil Mather

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Just having started riding a few months ..., 27 Nov. 2015
Great book. Just having started riding a few months ago, and having the Varadero as my first bike, this is my standard 'go to' book that has given me all the answers and the know-how for every issues/questions I had so far.
Impeccable referencing make it easy to use, find the relevant chapters quickly.

6ft Long x 7ft High Double Hanging Metal Clothes Rail Wardrobe SUPER HEAVY DUTY
6ft Long x 7ft High Double Hanging Metal Clothes Rail Wardrobe SUPER HEAVY DUTY
Offered by The Shopfitting Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars This rail is very good. It's a simple but smart design, 27 Nov. 2015
This rail is very good. It's a simple but smart design: the lower part is a single U-shaped member, that gives structural rigidity. As a result it won't lean or collapse sideways, like weak products tend to under heavy load. (I'm guessing it would buckle and fold like a ring if overloaded)

The middle bar is sliding on the vertical bar and fixed with a bolt. The only downside is that there are not slots on the vertical bar for the bolt, so it just tenses against the rail, or digs into it slightly if screwed in hard. Seems to be strong enough though.

It arrived flat packed.

Easy and quick 1-person assembly, giving a sturdy final product. Easy to move it around too on the wheels.
The 7ft height allows 2 rows of shirts to be hung.

FDS Mail Box Wall Mounted Letter Collection Case w/Newspaper Roll Lock Keys
FDS Mail Box Wall Mounted Letter Collection Case w/Newspaper Roll Lock Keys
Offered by FDS Corporation Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars Parcel arrived unsecured, 27 Nov. 2015
The letterbox itself looks fine enough - very lightweight.
I give the low rating because the parcel arrived without any tape or seal over it. As a consequence (I am assuming) 3 screws out of 4 missing from the box.
To be fair the screws are of negligible value but I expect a parcel to be secured and myself being the first person opening it.

Devices And Desires: The Engineer Trilogy: Book One
Devices And Desires: The Engineer Trilogy: Book One
by K. J. Parker

1.0 out of 5 stars well, let's say it's not my stuff..., 23 Mar. 2013
Be warned, this is not George RR Martin. Superficial characters, endless-pointless conversations and page filling stuff that does not drive the story, and (in my eyes) does not add anything to the atmosphere either. Flat story dragging on slowly and boringly, casual language that erodes the illusion of a fantasy environment. Really struggled to but thought I would fight my way through to see where it goes. Well, nowhere. Definitely giving a miss to the follow up books.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2013 7:49 AM BST

The Tree of Life [DVD]
The Tree of Life [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars this is a fraud!, 14 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Tree of Life [DVD] (DVD)
This thing is a fraud. Regardless of whether people eventually find some sense or pleasure in it if you watch the trailer it suggests that this movie is about life, father&son, pain-joy, drama, turning points, etc. It suggest you may even get a story. However you won't get any of these.

What you get is some terribly boring, arty, going nowhere mish-mash that tries to pretend that it is an insightful, wise and poetic expression of life(?) or death(?)... who knows? Probably the director doesn't either.

Revolting.

Theory of Fun for Game Design
Theory of Fun for Game Design
by Raph Koster

3.0 out of 5 stars Very inspiring but presentation could be better, 7 Sept. 2011
This is a very interesting book. It is my first read in this topic and I guess it was a good choice for an introduction as it is very thought provoking and inspiring. Good, easy style, well structured, easy to follow the line of thought and understand the message.

It is more of a philosophical summary of one's beliefs and an introduction of living by those beliefs rather than a guide book to actual game design. Which is neither good or bad but good to be aware of it.

What I did not like about this book:
1, The format/size. It is unconventional indeed so probably stands out from the crowd but it equally misfits my bookshelf and my other books surrounding it. I prefer a tidy shelf. It is also more difficult to handle. I like those book formats I can hold with one hand and read whenever, wherever. This format is not ideal in the London Tube.

2, The presentation of the content. I personally don't see the need for low quality hand sketches on every odd page, especially when the even pages are not too densely populated either. Waste of paper. I don't think an interesting content needs such scattered presentation.

3, Chapter 11, 12 and the Epilogue could be one. I think everyone gets the message of "elevating games" by the mid of the book and it is pretty clear when we come to Ethics. The last 3 chapters are just iterations, much less interesting "preaching" on the same subject.

So in summary: it would have been even better to present it in a practical, "professional" format, like a "pocket book of fun" (trust the readers that they have the capability to absorb the information - if they don't, they probably don't play or create challenging games either ;)).