Profile for R Leslie > Reviews

Content by R Leslie

R Leslie "oldieITbloke" (UK)

SQL Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly))
SQL Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly))
by Anthony Molinaro

5.0 out of 5 stars The best sql book I've seen., 29 Jun. 2008
The book claims its audience ranges from novices to sql experts (who need to use a different sql platform), and I have to agree. Since it explains a lot about set theory, and how sql works, I doubt it will be out-of-date any time soon. The author describes it as a collection of common SQL problems and their solutions, which is true. What really makes this book special is that I find myself working through examples on my home database for fun. I've used SQL since the early 90s (on Oracle) and have not come across such a useful yet enjoyable book before. The only small errata I found was on page 336 (where the mysql subquery needed an alias), so I suspect there may be a few others - there are examples given for the main platforms - Postgre, Oracle, DB2, Sql Server etc.

Pro MySQL (Expert's Voice in Open Source)
Pro MySQL (Expert's Voice in Open Source)
by Michael Kruckenberg

5.0 out of 5 stars The essential companion to Mysql., 25 May 2008
I have to admit that up to this point I've only read a small proportion of the book (albeit in different sections). However I've got nearly 20 years experience of using relational databases and during that time I've needed to access a lot of reference books. This book is as good as any I've come across, and is a goldmine for the serious developer and/or administrator. It's particularly useful for those upgrading to version 5 Mysql and who need to use the new features. So, I've given this book a 5 rating. You may not need all the contents (although it's been written in a way that you will find all sections interesting) and yes, given enough time and another version of mysql parts of the book may become out-of-date. But, for anyone who needs the ultimate reference book for Mysql in 2008, this manual has to be the essential choice.

Learning PHP & MySQL: Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Database-Driven Web Sites
Learning PHP & MySQL: Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Database-Driven Web Sites
by Michele E. Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars Good intro, but too many typos, 30 April 2008
Good overall introduction to using php and mysql, that also introduces you to using tools like PEAR and the smarty template engine. I bought the book because a) I've been impressed with O'REilly books before and b) It included chapters on Security and on Sessions and Access Controls. I was also impressed that the Mysql parts included basic dba necessities such as backups, imports and use of indexes etc. However (and this is why I'm not giving the full 5 stars) there were a lot of silly typos in the code I typed in from the book. Once I looked at the Oreilly site (they correct some typos there) I was able to hunt down the rest. I suspect it would be a showstopper for someone who hasn't the relevant programming experience however. Since the book didn't come with code on disk I can only give 3 stars (or three and a half).

One Step Behind (Kurt Wallender Mystery)
One Step Behind (Kurt Wallender Mystery)
by Henning Mankell

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping stuff, 11 Sept. 2007
Excellent read. Probably the best Inspector Wallander book, and the last few pages left me shaking (not in response to the crime plot either!). I wouldn't like to spend time in his company though (as one critic claims) - he seems a very introverted character with no social habits.

Yo Mi Me Contigo
Yo Mi Me Contigo

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro to Joaquin's Latin music world?, 31 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Yo Mi Me Contigo (Audio CD)
Joaquin Sabina has made his reputation through his clever lyrics and feeling for the times. One of the reasons I make this cd my favourite of his is the way he uses so many different music styles (rock, pop, Salsa, Ranchera etc) and yet it all still is authentic Sabina. Look at the names of a couple of the contributors to this record - Manu Chao, Flaco Jimenez - and you can work out why this record is a tour-de-force. Not a bad record for learning the language (both standard and colloquial) either, as per most of Joaquin's productions