Profile for crunchwantsfood > Reviews

The Dispossessed
The Dispossessed
by Ursula Le Guin

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dispossessed, 11 Feb. 2006
This review is from: The Dispossessed (Paperback)
There are few books which have had such a profound effect on me. I am also a student of the humanities, Philosophy to be precise, and this book is simply awe-inspiring. I first read this many years ago when I was an undergraduate. Having just re-read this, I decided to share my thoughts and try to get others to give it a whirl.
Along with "Tractatus Logico Philosophicus" this book has to be a front runner for one of the greatest works of art I have ever come across. LeGuin writes with style, grace, delicacy, and superbly communicates the difficulty of a community so far removed, as to be considered alien.
There's something for everyone here, but for me this was all about the direct restriction of thought via the restriction of language. On Anarres, where certain concepts have been obliterated, we find an intrigueing fascination with incarceration, something so foreign, so unimaginable it becomes a experiment of children... a simple play-thing to try and glean understanding. What other mysterious concepts are there on Urras which Anarres has forsaken?
For a review of the story, you can read Amazon's snip above which is pefectly fine. As far as being a diffucult read, I wouldn't agree. It is most certainly thought-provoking, but suitable for all ages, and ultimately self-rewarding if you can appreciate the depth this book reaches. Surely one of LeGuins greatest works, if not also one of humanity's. A must read.

Sweet Myth-Tery of Life
Sweet Myth-Tery of Life
by Robert Asprin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Myth-Tery of Life, 11 Feb. 2006
What an awful read. I am a HUGE fan of the original 9 myth books and, after years of patient waiting, had given up hope that there would be any more. I was flabbergasted to find out that 3 more had been written and hurried to purchase/ read them. This book follows on from both "Myth-Nomers & Im-Pervections" and "Myth Inc In Action."
In my humble opinion, this book should never have been written and makes a shameful attempt to recapture the Myth spirit. It is BADLY written and riddled with disgustingly forced fugazi humour. None of the Myth characters are properly maintained, instead seemingly press-ganged into a shadow of their former selves. The story is weak, and elements so carefully orchestrated in earlier books are dismissed with barely a nod of the head. Poor Cassandra, just one example of many I could mention.
You'll be wasting your time if you read this. For die-hard fans, I strongly recommend that you read no further than the afore-mentioned "Myth-Nomers & Im-Pervections" and "Myth Inc In Action." If you have to read it, make sure it cost's only a handful of pennies, clearly not worth anything more than that. Unfortunately I am forced to award a one-star as I write this review, which it clearly does not deserve. Disgusting.

M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action/Sweet Myth-Tery of Life 2-In-1 (Myth 2-In-1)
M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action/Sweet Myth-Tery of Life 2-In-1 (Myth 2-In-1)
by Robert Asprin