Profile for Lady Guinevere > Reviews

Content by Lady Guinevere

Lady Guinevere (Glasgow, Scotland)

Philips SHQ3000/10 Washable Sports Headphones with Anti-Bacterial Agent (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for running, did not disappoint, good quality, 23 Jan 2011
This is a great bit of kit, especially considering I was worried they would not be that good based on some of these reviews. I use these for running and they work very well at isolating noise from around me. I found they fitted me fine first time, and they weren't that difficult to get the hang of putting on. I don't agree that there's no bass...I think it's possible the people who found this didn't have them fitting properly. I like these a lot and think they will last a while.

Karaoke - the Greatest Scottish Karaoke Ever
Karaoke - the Greatest Scottish Karaoke Ever
Price: 4.73

2.0 out of 5 stars It might have been better if there wasn't some wee guy singing in the first few words of every song!, 10 Sep 2009
Yeah, err...I thought the whole point of karaoke songs was that YOU sang...not some wee man (who no doubt was wearing a bunnet and tartan trews). Unfortunately, with this particular product it's the wee man who sings at the start (presumably to bring you in), then stops singing. I bought this CD hoping for actual backing tracks and was sorely disappointed. Oh well, never mind.

Person-Centred Counselling in Action
Person-Centred Counselling in Action
by Brian Thorne

5.0 out of 5 stars Person-Centred Counselling in Action, 10 Sep 2009
This book is about person-centred counselling, specifically about ways of being and doing that novice and experienced counsellors alike can incorporate into their work. The authors wrote the book when person-centred counselling was becoming more popular in Europe, and felt it was a suitable time for two British counsellors to write a book on the fundamentals of the approach. The work is written from the authors' point of view and gives examples of their and others' experiences.
This book is primarily a source of information, however it is brought to life by many examples of good and bad practice. Towards the end of the book, there is also a case study focusing on a counselling relationship with one particular lady, Joan, which drew attention to the main topics to consider during beginnings, middles and endings. Person-Centred Counselling in Action belongs to the Psychology genre, and is what might be described as an "introductory guide to person-centred counselling". Despite the above definition of this book as an "introductory guide", I believe its intended audience is both trainees and experienced counsellors.
Mearns and Thorne write in a formal style, however there is very little jargon used when discussing the issues which come up in the counselling room. For example, p.33: "...she [the counsellor] is not interested in playing power games or scoring points". This is stated in a way that anyone could understand, making the book accessible to all. Even if jargon words are used, they are quickly defined so we can be in no doubt as to what the authors are referring to, for example see the various definitions of differing types of empathy on page 45 such as "accurate empathy" and "additive empathy". This book flows naturally and is easy to read, especially the explanations of the three core conditions, and the final three chapters where there is a sense of development through Joan's counselling sessions.
This book affected me in various ways. Firstly, I was struck by the occasions on which "boundaries" were violated during the case study and examples, mainly by the counsellor touching the client. The reason I call this a boundary violation is because I had often been told during my COSCA Certificate course that touching of any kind was never appropriate. However, I can certainly appreciate the authors' point of view and can understand why touch might be important. Secondly, I found myself a little shell-shocked on finishing the book as I realised the number of mistakes it is likely I will make in my training, though comforted to know that is a normal thing to happen. Lastly I found the discussion of "blocks" and "stuckness" extremely helpful as it is good to know the types of things which may get in the way of mutuality.
I believe this book has achieved its goal; it explains the fundamental aspects of person-centred counselling in a language that is easy to understand, and gives the trainee counsellor a glimpse of what to expect. I would recommend this book to others as an accessible introduction to the person-centred counselling approach.

The Fairest Floo'er
The Fairest Floo'er
Price: 11.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stunning album, 9 Feb 2008
This review is from: The Fairest Floo'er (Audio CD)
I only recently discovered Karine Polwart, I can't even remember how (possibly through lastfm), but I was hooked the minute I heard the album Faultlines and intend on buying everything she's ever done! This particular offering had me spellbound. It is mostly a series of fresh and evocative arrangements of traditional songs, none of which I was familiar with, but Karine really manages to clearly communicate the emotions behind the songs, and the whole recording is haunting. "The Death of Queen Jane", as an earlier reviewer said, is a brilliant interpretation, very sobering, but the track I cannot shake at the moment is "Will Ye go to Flanders". If you like Scottish music and want to listen to someone whose voice is pure and beautiful, and who knows how to arrange a piece in a sublime fashion, I'd definitely give this a shot.

Letter To A Christian Nation
Letter To A Christian Nation
by Sam Harris
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The uncomfortable truth (for Christians), 28 April 2007
Having been raised a Catholic, I have been trying to rid myself of the "Christian fairy story" once and for all for many years...and this book has helped immensely. Harris' arguments were insightful, straightforward and logical, and the comparison with Islam made me feel that he doesn't just have it in for Christians or something similar. It's a book written with a genuine desire to put the truth across, and if I was still a Christian, I'd certainly rethink my position on god and Jesus based on this book. Having read this and Dawkins' "The God Delusion", I'd say I'm now an atheist (beforehand I sat on the "agnostic" fence). Buy the book, you won't be disappointed .
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2013 1:47 AM GMT