Profile for Jane Bushby > Reviews

Content by Jane Bushby

Jane Bushby "Jane's books" (Bristol, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Viva Decor 3-Piece Water Tank Brush Set, Transparent
Viva Decor 3-Piece Water Tank Brush Set, Transparent

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing but I may not be using it correctly., 5 Dec. 2015
Not sure about these. Because there is no one-way valve between tank and brush, dirty water gets sucked up into the tank so it does not provide a continual source of clean water. I find I am using them less and have increased the size of my water jar. I am new to all this so I may not be a reliable critic.

Music, Sense and Nonsense: Collected Essays and Lectures
Music, Sense and Nonsense: Collected Essays and Lectures

4.0 out of 5 stars Listen whilst reading, 5 Dec. 2015
I am enjoying this book, in spite of usually finding written work about music quite trying. But this is different, thanks Brendel's huge knowledge of the historical context of the music he describes and the wit he brings to his accounts. I do, though, recommend listening to the music he describes.

A Perfect Spy
A Perfect Spy

5.0 out of 5 stars His best, 5 Dec. 2015
This review is from: A Perfect Spy (Kindle Edition)
This has to be le Carre's best spy book: dense, complex, frightening. It is a particularly good re-read, following his biography when one can appreciate how it closely follows many of the key aspects of le Carre's own life.

John le Carré: The Biography
John le Carré: The Biography

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing but a good read, 8 Nov. 2015
Very interesting with some surprising insights into John le Carre's life as a spy, especially when an Oxford undergraduate which I think can be explained by his emotional instability. The depiction of his early family life (deserted by his mother, leaving her two sons to the vagaries of his monstrous father) was so frighteningly insecure, I had to give myself some respite by reading one of his novels.

Pam Wedgwood's Piano Basics Workouts
Pam Wedgwood's Piano Basics Workouts
by Pam Wedgwood

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 23 Oct. 2015
A helpful exercise book, as part of a collection, for refreshing one's practice sessions.

Lessons On Living Well
Lessons On Living Well

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 10 Oct. 2015
Homespun, secondhand, second rate stuff. A regrettable purchase.

Between the World and Me
Between the World and Me

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written book and emotionally searing, 10 Oct. 2015
A beautifully written book and emotionally searing: angry and sad. A book that provides a unique insight into American institutional racism. The beauty of the writing, a poetic quality, transcends its subject.

Organix Moroccan Argan Penetrating Oil - 100 ml
Organix Moroccan Argan Penetrating Oil - 100 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm really pleased with this product, 22 Sept. 2015
I'm really pleased with this product. My hair has a tendency to fluff into a candy-floss texture. The oil has not yet altogether stopped this but the texture is improving and its nice to have a good glossy shine, even on those still fluffy tresses.

gym ball (Silver)
gym ball (Silver)
Offered by JLL Fitness Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 3 Sept. 2015
The pump provided is wholly inadequate, as are the instructions. It proved impossible to pull out the valve, as per instructions, but I have, after many attempts using my bike stand pump with a special attachment (not provided with the pump provided), managed to get some air into the ball. When I return home from holiday, I will be taking it into my local gym who have offered to inflate it for me using their electric pump. If this does not work, I will be returning the sphere to the sellers with a demand for a refund.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2015 10:03 AM GMT

PostCapitalism: A Guide to Our Future
PostCapitalism: A Guide to Our Future

5.0 out of 5 stars A really "useful" book but enjoyable as well, 14 Aug. 2015
A spiffing book: a really searing attack on neo-liberalism and austerity politics from an economist perspective. I particularly like the critical historical perspective on the politics of radical and revolutionary ideas and that Mason does not assume that the ideas of Marx and Lenin are beyond his readers' pale. What Raymond Williams would call "really useful knowledge" and, what is more, the book is beautifully written, reading like a thriller with witty asides.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2015 10:43 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6