Profile for annmarie > Reviews

Content by annmarie

annmarie "A customer" (england)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Moon Stealers and The Quest for the Silver Bough: 1
The Moon Stealers and The Quest for the Silver Bough: 1
by Tim Flanagan

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 14 Aug. 2012
This book was a really nice surprise the book was really well written and had such rich detail that made the book shine and come to life. While I would have loved the book to have been longer (did not want the book to end) I felt the author packed the book with everything I needed...Action, mystery great adventure and lots more that I was hooked.

While some of the books I read have a really slow start this book was different the book had a spooky and chilling start that begged you to continue reading while you prayed the characters would be alright. The characters were well thought out and easy to read about as they made the book that much more interesting and exciting.

When I look back at the book I find that I see it like an amazing jigsaw that slowly come together as you read along. The whole way I was at the edge of your seat waiting for the next piece to fall into place and find out what happened next and I'm so pleased I read the book because it was so different unlike anything i had read before and now i just want more!

I gave this book 5 stars and I can't wait to see what the author writes next.

Rebirth Of The Chosen (Secrets Of Blood And Bone Book 1)
Rebirth Of The Chosen (Secrets Of Blood And Bone Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 12 April 2012
Review of Rebirth of the chosen.
I'm finding it really hard to write my review for this book I really hope I can find words to show how much I really loved this book. The book goes into great details which helped the flow of the book. The characters were brilliantly put together and Q was such a simple amazing main Character that I could not help but love him and hope for the best the whole way though.

While I really did love the book as a whole as a reviewer you normally find that there is something that stands out most for you and for me it was the storyline as a whole. It was not rushed but was greatly action packed and while there was romance it was not over done. I found that I was excited about the way the whole story played out and found myself holding my breath to know what was going to happen next. The characters worked so well together and seems to click into place like puzzle bits and there was such great detail in the action parts that I felt like part of the book and was standing watching the whole thing. I was speechless by the time I finished the book unable to form words about what I had just read and as a book reviewer I take that as a good sign that the book blow me away.

Another thing they say when evil rises up it's the people that stand up before that evil without having to that are the real hero's and I found that Q really covered the whole hero rising. He was something really spectacular and while there were other characters I loved it was him that really shined the brightest.

The book as a whole was out of this world amazing I will give it 5 stars hands down I would give it more if Goodreads had more stars to give. This book is not for younger readers but for those of you who are looking for an amazing book full of action, dark creatures and a blow your mind storyline you need to read this.

A Million Suns (Across the Universe)
A Million Suns (Across the Universe)
by Beth Revis

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 21 Mar. 2012
I really enjoyed book one across the universe so I was overjoyed to get my hands on the next book A million suns.
Godspeed is dealing with the after mouth of the last book. Eldest is dead and Elder now is in charge the drug that normally keeps everyone under control has been taken away giving Godspeed people back their freedom but things are worse than ever. People are angry and lash out while others have slipped into a deep depression. Elder struggles to keep order and control over the people he's meant to look after. While Amy is grappling with her fear and loneliness. After what Luthor nearly did to her that horrible act still lingers in her mind and is only made worse by the fact that people on Godspeeds seem half out of their mind by their new freewill.

I can honestly say that book two was even better than book one. I found that I really loved the growing suspense and mystery. Orion leaves a trail of bream crumbs for Amy to follow I was so excited by the thought of finally knowing the big secret I was not disappointed. Even with Orion is frozen and out of harms way he still very much involved with the book and still in his own way making trouble which kind of made me smile that he's still very much in everyone's minds.
There are also lots of drama regarding the shift of power and that leads to a lot of nail biting confrontation. I was gripped completely by the story the author wove and the emotions that were running so high in the book. People are at their craziest and ready to do some stupid things.
I have to say when I finally got to the end I was open mouthed in shock. The things that had happened and by the way the book ended has left me with this burning desire to know what will happen next.

Beth Revis is one amazing writer and she has to be one of my favourite authors. While I'm reading her books nothing else exist but space and Godspeed.
5 stars

Tomorrow Land (Apocalypse Later Book 1)
Tomorrow Land (Apocalypse Later Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A post apocalyptic joy ride of horror, survival and romance., 13 Mar. 2012
A post apocalyptic joy ride of horror, survival and romance.
I loved the book from the very start the technology in the world has now become amazingly advanced and the world seems all but perfected but Payton's dad is saying the world is going to come to an end and they all ended to be ready for the worst. Payton's friends think her dad is out of his mind. No one's laughing when some kind of illness out brakes and within a short time people are changing turning into zombie like monsters that are attacking anything that moves. The world went from save to deadly in a blink of an eye and I loved reading every second of it.

Over the course of the book each chapter flips from the past when the out brake happened to the future four year in front. Payton comes out of her safe bunker after four years and her mission is simply find her dad and start making their world again but the strangest thing happens she bumps into her long lost love the person she hurt the most before she was locked away in safety.

The book had lots of everything a post apocalyptic them with a great back story, Horror that makes you keep the light on. A touch of love that warmed your heart and some secrets that could change everything. In this new world it's all about survival.

The author has a great writing style and I love the way she mixed the past and present together. There was a lot in the story and you have no time to get bored with such a fast paced book.
I would recommend this book to other and happily reread the book too.
5 Stars

Incarnate
Incarnate
by Jodi Meadows

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent start to a new series, 7 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Incarnate (Hardcover)
In a world where each soul has lived a thousand lives, each soul knows each other. Everyone has many talents and life is like a never-ending circle once one body dies the soul is reborn into the next. The people fight dragons and protected them self from the shadow sylph.

Ana is the only new soul her body was meant for another soul but Ana's soul new and fresh was born. People hate her from being new going against what they believe in. Ana has sent the last 18 years with a mother who does not love her and in truth she makes Ana's life hell, and her dad went and left them when she was a baby. Now an adult Ana plains to leave and head for heart, she hopes to find answers to why she is different. Why was she born what happened to the other soul she has so many questions that need answers but things go horrible wrong? Sylph's come for her the day she leaves and ends up nearly drowning when Sam saves her, and together they make it safely to heart but the place is not welcoming people fear and hate Ana before she can find the truth someone tries to kill her and Ana and Sam are left in danger.

Ana is the main character the book follows in a world where everyone knows each other Ana really is the outcast the new un-useful soul. Now I really loved getting to know Ana she started off as a very guarded and untrusting character fearing that everyone hated her like her mother did. I felt that watching and learning how abusive her birth mother is to Ana helps you understand why Ana was the way she was. In a world where no one helped or saved Ana from this woman who got pleasure out of Ana's loneliness and upset. Over the course of the book, you watch Ana grow into a more powerful character, and you saw a whole new side of her that made her more loveable to the reader. Now Sam is another character you follow in the book and from the very first time I meet him. I could not help but love him. He showed Ana that people do care, and he was so kind and something I felt even though he lived some many times he was just as lost as any new soul.

The world the book was based in was like nothing I had read before the concept was brilliant with all the old souls and then introducing a fresh new soul really did suck the reading in. Then, there was the bonus of these wonderful creatures like dragons and sylphs that added this dark dangerous feel to the outside of heart. There was conflicted between some characters and the council of heart seemed to care more about keeping secrets than the well-being of their people the whole story was fantastic. . It was a beautiful world that the author thought up, but she added lots of danger and darkness that readers will love!

A magnificent start to a new series.

Saving Daisy
Saving Daisy
by Phil Earle

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 7 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Saving Daisy (Paperback)
Daisy is 14 years old and is not coping with her mother's death daisy blames herself for it. Over the coming weeks, she finds herself having panic attacks and using self-harming to clear her head and stop the attacks. Daisy's dad will not open up and talk to her so daisy is left feeling alone. A mix of heart braking events leave daisy fatherless and broken inside. Unable to open up and talk about what's going on Daisy is moved onto a place that will help her cope but will daisy open up and trust the people that are they to help.

My review I really don't know how to start with this- this is not my normal sort of read, and I guess I'll start by saying... This book was a look into a life that many young children and teens have to live with each day. I found it hard to think of this book as a work of fiction because it was more like a true look into so many lives. The sad fact is lots of kids have terrible lives.

Daisy's story opens the reader into a life that is cracking open with guilt and self-harming. Daisy is drowning in her despair, and the world around her does not seem to notice. I found that I soon cared for Daisy like I would my own children.

At times, there is so much pain and despair that you feel like daisy will never get out of this darkness that seems to have taken over her life for so long. I guess the point of this book is simple to me know don't give up while sometime life seems so bad, but you need to fight for that light at the end of the tunnel that is there if you look hard enough. I also felt that the author was trying to make people aware of the true darkness and pain in real life. It's easy to over look the homeless kids and kids in care when your life is simple but stop and read saving daisy it will open your eyes to the stuff that sometimes goes on behind closed doors.

Saving Daisy is a must read. A brilliantly written book that is more fact then fiction about the true horrors of life and the uplifting realisation that there is always hope. This book had more emotion then any I have read before.
5 stars

Halflings HB (A Halflings Novel)
Halflings HB (A Halflings Novel)
by Burch Heather

5.0 out of 5 stars Left me breathless!, 23 Feb. 2012
Chased by hell hounds, nearly run off the road by a suv Nikki's life used to be simply now she seems like every bad thing in the world is trying to kill her. With evil ready to strike at every turn Nikki ends up having three beautiful guys watching over her. They call themselves Halflings the offspring of fallen angels. They plan to keep Nikki out of dangers but sometimes that's not easy to do. New problems arise when Nikki finds herself falling in love with two of her protectors. This comes a big shock as she has never been interested in guys, but now she can't help but want two but more trouble is ahead than just love because Nikki needs to work out what's going on before she is killed.

I would just like to say when people I know read books and tell me there is a MASSIVE! Love triangle in the book I normally choose to stay clear but this book was very different. The love triangle in this book was deep and emotional. Raven and Mace are two very different characters at first look I thought of mace as light and caring one and Raven as dark and sexy but there is a whole lot more to these two characters and the book was so much more than just love drama. It's about family and making the right chooses and the evil that's inside us all it's our choice to be good or bad and this book really did show that.

Nikki was a really good character. She is a fighter, deep down, and she faces what's coming head on. As one of the main characters she was feisty and kind and enjoyable to read about. I also felt that there is a lot more we are going to learn about her as the series goes on. I just had a sense that there is a lot of hidden power or potential inside Nikki that's begging to come out. The story was packed with danger, and Nikki went from a normal life to being on the supernatural hit list. There were a lot of intense moments in the book between characters and sometimes humour the book seemed to find a great mix of everything.

Now I would like to confess that as an avid reader you sometimes fall for the characters you're reading about and raven was one of those characters for me. While at first look you feel his just an arrogant pretty boy, but I felt there more to him, and I feel that over readers will spot that underneath his front, you will see someone different.

A wonderful written story Jam packed with forbidden love, danger and a burning evil that will suck you in.

Under the Never Sky
Under the Never Sky
by Veronica Rossi

5.0 out of 5 stars Best books review, 13 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Under the Never Sky (Hardcover)
Aria lives in a place called the reverie like most teens she spends her time hanging out with her friends but rather than going out all she does is look through her smarteye which takes her to different realms. Life is sweet and easy until Aria is kicked out for something she did not do. The world outside the pod is feared Aria's people the dwellers call it the death shop. Once outside things take a funny turn she learns about the outside world that is nothing like what she was led to believe, and it's the people inside the pod that are liars. She soon runs into Perry the person that was there the day of her so called crime it was him that saved her life. While Perry and Aria are very different from one and other Aria had the easy life and Perry the hard-working hunter but due to a run of strange events Perry and Aria have to work together and help one and other to find out what happened to Aria's mum? And why was Perry nephew snatched by Aria's people?

The journey will change Perry and Aria life forever.

From the very start, this book blew me away. I found it so brilliant and exciting imagine planet earth has been divided into two parts one side you have the reverie where people live in a kind of electronic fantasy world. It was like a weird computer run future. At first glance everyone seems happy and calm, but it's a big front. Now the other part of the world is like the past with tribes and hunting for food, living of the land. These people are born survivors and fighters. Two completely different worlds stuck on one planet the whole idea excited me and glued me to ever word in the book. The world the book is based in alone will have you in a reading frenzy but there is so much more to the book.

Aria the dweller that's lived her whole life in the pod playing in fantasy worlds and singing ends up being dumped into the outside the death shop. Perry a born hunter with night-vision eyes and heighted smell his a bit barbaric at times, but he does care. He just hides it well. No way would you think mixing these two very different characters together but when the author throws Perry and Aria together the book really takes on a life of its own in a way you would not believe.

The author's writing is simply magical she wrote something so fresh and mind blowing that you can't help but wonder how someone could think up something so dark yet beautiful. The book will reach out to anyone who loves action, love and the book is nonstop survival pushing the characters to their limits.

Prepare yourself for the ride of your life under the never sky will electrify you and have you begging for more.

Five stars

Fire and Thorns (Fire & Thorns Trilogy 1)
Fire and Thorns (Fire & Thorns Trilogy 1)
by Rae Carson

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 13 Jan. 2012
Elisa is the bearer of the godstone picked by god at her naming.
Yet Elisa feels anything but special she feels fat and useless compared to her perfect older sister.

When Elisa is married on her sixteenth birthday to the king of another kingdom to a man she has never meet before Elisa wonders why he is marrying her because it can't be because he loves her.

Elisa is soon thrown into something that will shock her to the bone, the king's kingdom is on the border line of war and the marriage was a way of making shore Elisa father would alliance himself to the king's kingdom.

Before Elisa can make séance of everything she is kidnapped, she will have to face her unknown enemies and start to work out what role she plays as the bearer.

Will Elis unlock the strength inside her and rise above it before the enemy rips the stone from her.

The story of Elisa is not always a happy one but it's a story of one girl journey to find the faith that she needs as the bearer of the godstone.

As a character Elisa is different for the normal sort you read about normally the main characters are perfected and loveable, Elisa is different yes she is special but she is not drop dead beautiful but that does not matter the author makes it clear that you DONT! Have to be beautiful to do great things. Elisa is smart and does not think she is better than anyone else you love Elis because she tells us girls that no matter what you look like just have the faith and be who you are, be strong.

There were a lot of other amazing characters in the book that you will love but I had a MASSIVE! Crush on lord Hector from the moment he stepped into the book I was in love. While at times he can be hard you felt like he would also look after you and love you no matter what.

The story was so will written it eased you right into this amazing fantasy world with perfection. I found that within just ten pages I was completely in love with the book. There was so much to like everything was explained and beautiful detailed in such a way that you felt like you were in the book to.

The book to me really was watching Elisa grow from a shy uneasy girl to a warrior like character that would give her life for others.

While I have read many Fantasy books from the lighter side to the epic Fantasy I have to say out of them all this is the best Fantasy book I have ever read. It lingers in your mind even after the book ends I'm tingling to read more from this one of a kind author.

I give this book 5 stars go out buy the book and prepare to be stunned and amazed

Dark Eden
Dark Eden
by Patrick Carman

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book, 13 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Dark Eden (Paperback)
7 kids with life changing fears, fears that haunt your dreams and fills your throat with a scream. Will has been seeking treatment for his fear. His doctor has tried to help but there has been no change. His doctor finally refers Will to a place that can really cure him of his fears and make him normal again.

When the 7 kids make their way to dark Eden Will starts to feel jumpy and uneasy. Will ends up hiding away from everyone else right under everyone's noises. Will end's up watching everyone else from the safety of a bomb bumper.

The book is told from will's point of view so you see and hear everything he does. You don't get to hear what Will true fear is till half way through the book so it leaves you guessing about what's wrong with him. I'll be honest for a big part of book I did think that Will was crazy little bit mental but as you go along in the book you start to see what Will is getting at and maybe he has a right to be scared.

While you watch the other get cured and Will time get closer you wonder what's really going on and what does this strange so called doctor really after from these kids.

I really did get into the book and I fell in love with the story it was fresh and different. The start of the book was really just getting to know the kids and to get to grips with the story but from the half way mark thing started to get creepy. Things start to become clearer and you start to see secrets unfold and you understand that not everyone is telling the truth. It's a well put together book and by the end your shocked at the outcome of the book.

A great book that will make you look at your own fears.
4 stars