Profile for Paul White > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Mirror Magic
Mirror Magic

5.0 out of 5 stars Fairytales with a new twist., 2 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Mirror Magic (Kindle Edition)
This review is written by my 9 year old daughter Annabelle:

"Jess always knew she was special. When she was two both her parents were killed in a car crash and Jess became an orphan, which, as everyone who reads books will know, is a sure sign of being special. However Jess began to doubt she was special until, one day, she turned Cassandra Thompson into a frog. After this the excitement in her life increased therefrom in crescendo: She fell through a mirror, was imprisoned by the seven dwarfs, and found out a truly haunting secret involving a mirror and her friend. It turns out Gran is strange too. Will Jess ever know ecstasy again? "Mirror Magic" has made me look at all fairy tales in a different light. I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it to all ages."

Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage, 1982-2011
Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage, 1982-2011

4.0 out of 5 stars It's the end of the world as we know it..., 18 Nov. 2011
I have been an avid follower of REM since the early IRS days and so the news of their separation was bitter-sweet. Bitter, because it is the passing of an era but sweet because it has been clear for a few albums that nothing new or exciting was happening. The last album sounded rather like someone had programmed a computer to make music that ticks all the right REM boxes but which lacked any real heart or soul.

And so, with their swansong comes the inevitable career retrospective. As a 40 track double album this is good value for money and as a potted chronology of the REM career it clearly demonstrates their climb to greatness, the slightly bumpy plateau years and the later decline.

For REM fans who want to encapsulate a whole musical era this is a must buy. My only criticism (hence the 4 stars) is that there is very little 'extra' packaged in the regular edition of the album. The sleeve note insert has a few words from one or two band members about each track (i.e. remembering how the track came to be written, what they thought of it and that sort of thing) which is certainly interesting but, given that this is their 'tombstone' album it would have been good to have a little more biography, eulogy or something more to mark properly the passing of this era.

Mind you, the way bands keep re-forming and doing 'pension fund' tours who can tell - maybe this is not the end of the world as we know it.

Birtwistle: Night's Black Bird / The Shadow of Night / The Cry of Anubis
Birtwistle: Night's Black Bird / The Shadow of Night / The Cry of Anubis

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation..., 17 Nov. 2011
I have never been a huge fan of modern 'classical' music; tending to shy away from the stereotype of the self-consciously discordant.

However, when I saw this album feature so highly in the Gramophone Awards 2011 I decided to give it a try (OK, so shoot me for being so weak minded). I have to say that I am really glad I did - yes, there is an element of the discordant but it is so beautifully and powerfully done that the end result is a darkly moving and visceral piece that I have only just begun to explore, after several outings.

This is a great album and, for me at least, it has opened up a new vista of music.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

5.0 out of 5 stars Good new Kindle, 24 Oct. 2011
I am an owner of the previous generation Kindle, with keyboard, and I absolutely love it. In fact I love it so much that many of my family members are also getting Kindles and I bought this new model for my daughter.

It is a slightly 'stripped down' version as it has less memory and no keyboard but, for all practical purposes, these changes make no difference as I am nowhere near filling the memory on my version and I have no doubt that my daughter will get nowhere near filling the memory on this one. I never used the keyboard on my version and so that is no loss either. The new version feels considerably smaller and lighter, which is perfect for smaller hands. The screen appears slightly whiter and the contrast slightly better, which is good.

All in all I would recommend the Kindle experience to anyone and this new model is a very good development in the life of this product.

Marware jurni Kindle Cover, Pink (fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle and Kindle Touch)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good cover, 24 Oct. 2011
I bought this cover for my daughter's new Kindle and it is perfect. The corner holders hold the Kindle snugly in place, the inside is soft and easy on the screen whilst the outside feels sturdy. The internal pocket is big enough to hold the USB cable that is supplied with the Kindle, which is useful for stopping it going astray. It is also just the right shade of pink for a 9 year old girl! All in all it complements the Kindle perfectly.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2011 5:10 PM GMT

Archipelago [DVD]
Archipelago [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Hiddleston
Offered by Helen's Goodies

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring for art's sake?, 23 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Archipelago [DVD] (DVD)
First, two disclaimers: I am a fan of many 'arty' films, including many on the Artificial Eye label, and I love Tresco and the Isles of Scilly, where Archipelago was filmed. On paper this should have been my ideal film - an art house piece set on my favourite place in the world, and I looked forward to it with huge anticipation.

This film was a huge let-down on every level.

Words can hardly express my disappointment, but let me try: this has to be the most boring film ever made - the landscape, the set and the characters are all underused to a criminal degree and the 'story' is so thin as to be non-existent. The lack of a story could be excused if there were any other redeeming features, such as interesting characters or a strong sense of time, place or other atmosphere to revel in but there was nothing.

It is difficult to point a camera at Tresco or anywhere on the Isles of Scilly and fail to take an attractive picture but, somehow, the director managed to make one of the most beautiful places on earth look drab - but not drab in an interesting way like the moors of Wuthering Heights - just drab, which is incredible given the location.

Doubtless it is highly post-modern to avoid both obvious beauty and a story and perhaps I am being too old-fashioned but, it seems to me at least, that if you take away everything and leave nothing in its place then what is the point?
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2013 3:29 PM BST

The Island aka Ostrov [DVD] [2006]
The Island aka Ostrov [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Pyotr Mamonov
Offered by Helen's Goodies

5.0 out of 5 stars A prayer in film form, 21 Nov. 2010
As a sometime student and practioner of Orthodox spirituality I found this film to be a delight - it starts with the words of the Jesus Prayer "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy on Me a Sinner" and tells the story of a monk in a remote monastary in Northern Russia. Is he a prophet, a healer, a saint or a madman? There is an interesting sub-plot of the monk's experiences in the Second World War and, impliedly, of the monastary's relationship with soviet Russia.

The Island feels like a prayer in film form - and that is meant as a compliment.

Amazon Kindle Keyboard Leather Case (3rd Generation - 2010 release)
Amazon Kindle Keyboard Leather Case (3rd Generation - 2010 release)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect, 29 Sept. 2010
I spent more time umming and ahhing over which cover to get for my Kindle than I did buying the device itself.

Many of the early reviews of this cover were negative, mainly saying that it was overpriced for what it was. I therefore spent a lot of time looking around and I almost bought something from Oberon Design which look really good, but are even more expensive and have to be imported from the US.

I eventually came back to my first choice which was the 'official' Kindle cover from Amazon. I liked the idea of the hinge system which means that the cover attaches directly into the holes in the side of the Kindle rather than having straps covering the corners or the front. I ordered this cover using Super Saver Delivery, it came really quickly, in packaging much like the Kindle, and it seems absolutely perfect.

The hinge system works really well and the Kindle feels totally secure. The leather both looks and smells really nice and the inside of the cover has a 'microfibre' which protects the screen from scratches. You can fold the cover back totally flat (which I don't think you can on the Oberon covers) so that it does not feel bulky when reading. It complements the design of the Kindle perfectly and I am really happy that I went with this and went neither cheaper (made that mistake before) nor more expensive. This is just right!

The Good Man Jesus and The Scoundrel Christ (Myths)
The Good Man Jesus and The Scoundrel Christ (Myths)
by Philip Pullman

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea, but..., 23 Sept. 2010
First, in the interests of full disclosure, you should know that I am a Church of England curate!

I thought that the idea behind this book was interesting, i.e. that Jesus and Christ were different people and that this explains the dichotomy between the preaching of Jesus, which Philip Pullman seems to see as good, and the later life of the Church of Christ, which Pullman perceives as bad, both here and in his other works.

There is certainly much to commend this work - Pullman knows his bible and much of the story sticks close to the biblical narrative and, on the whole, the slim volume is well written. There are passages which could easily be read verbatim in church as part of a sermon and I may well do so.

However I ultimately felt that this was a one idea book (which is spelled out in the title) and that Pullman's poorly concealed polemic against the church (Jesus Good, Church Bad) is hobbling his writing - this was also the case in the third part of his Dark Materials trilogy which turned from rollicking good yarn to lets have a bash at religion.

I have no problem with "This is a STORY" (from the back cover) but, in the end, I think it could have been a better story had the idea been developed and fleshed out more. This is a snack posing as a feast and simply does not satisfy.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2011 10:05 PM BST

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect tool for the job, 22 Sept. 2010
There has been an awful lot of nonsense written comparing the Kindle with a certain Pad computer, some of which has been perpetuated by the recent adverts for the Kindle. The fact is that they are very different tools for very different jobs.

The Kindle is brilliant at doing what it does - you can buy books easily, quickly and relatively cheaply (sometimes free) at the Amazon store, they load onto the machine within seconds and they can be read with utmost ease on a fantastic screen that is really much more comfortable to read for long periods than a computer screen. At £109 it is a really good buy and I have no regrets about not getting the 3G version. I have already loaded so many books onto the Kindle that the chances of getting 'caught short' without a book away from a wifi spot are vanishingly small. The extra £40 buys quite a few extra books!

However it is not a Pad or a laptop replacement and I cannot imagine browsing the internet or much else on it. At the price what do you really expect? But that is fine, I bought it to read books on and it does that very well.

Page: 1 | 2