Profile for Josh > Reviews

Content by Josh

Josh

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Pipetto iPad Air 2 Case - Origami Smart Cover - Dark Pink Saffiano (Compatible with iPad Air 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars 11/10, 20 April 2015
We've had this case for a few months now and we're still completely happy with it. We spent a long time trying to source more expensive covers that were available for the Air 1 but they all seemed to be taking a long time to appear for the Air 2. There didn't seem to be a lot of choice at the time. The thing that put off buying this case for a while was the low price. How could it possibly be uncompromising at this price? But it fits perfectly, it's completely unobtrusive, it's lightweight, nice and grippy, pretty cool to the touch, it wears extremely well and it has that quality feel like somebody spent an awfully long time obsessing over the material and the way it flops open and snaps shut with complete confidence. I guess if we had to mark it down in one area then the range of positions could be a 9/10 rather than the 10/10 we'd give it in all other areas. Overall it has the feel of a much more expensive, real leather case and is very much part of our iPad now.

Mighty Torque Wrench - Black
Mighty Torque Wrench - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Confident little wrench, 16 Mar. 2015
Although this is the only torque wrench I've ever used I think it's really very good for the price. It definitely has that precision feel but of course I cannot judge its accuracy as I don't have any way to calibrate it. I use it on a carbon road bike for the seat post and stem mostly. It's so easy to adjust bolts with confidence now. I even used it on the bottle cages because why not?! Obviously it will not cope with pedals but I'm not lucky enough have carbon cranks or a power meter so it's not critical for me.

It did take a bit of practise to get it right though. As others have said it doesn't feel like a ratchet turning backwards. What happens is that the head pivots ever so slightly when you hit the required setting. Call it a pivot or a click or a snap - it is not so obvious at first and not at all clear in the instructions - yet it is very obvious when you know what you're looking for. The easiest way to see this in effect is to set it to the lowest setting of 2Nm, take hold of the arm in one hand and the head in the other. You will easily be able to apply enough force to feel the pivot/click/snap and SEE IT TOO. Don't do what I did and set it on 2Nm and find a bed bolt to test it on. You will not see or feel the pivot as it will take effect immediately and allow you over-tighten while wondering if it's working. Once you've tested it at 2Nm in your hands you can move on to bed bolts at a higher setting and it will be so obvious what's happening. I have no issues now and complete confidence even on silly things like an out-front Garmin mount and a saddle-bag QR. Even though these are little bits of plastic that warrant no more than an Allen key I think it says something that I would reach for the wrench first as it's just so easy and assured.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2015 12:54 AM BST

Ass Savers Original Foldable Mudguard - Black, 34 cm
Ass Savers Original Foldable Mudguard - Black, 34 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty effective, 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Ass Saver Original (Sports)
This really clips in well on my two bikes. No fear of it coming loose. I use it mainly on two-mile commutes on main roads from my house to the train station, so it's not the most demanding task for a mudguard. I didn't want to bother with full mudguards for such a short journey and that could end up bent out of place in the station bike racks. While this clever piece of plastic won't save you in a downpour or gain you any friends in a peloton it did the trick for me and collected plenty of muck that would otherwise have ended up on me. I'm sure some road-spray makes it past the Ass Saver but I haven't been able to see or feel any after more than a year of use.

I found a couple of minor niggles in that if I fold it back under my saddle for stowage it won't stay there, but it's so easy to remove it doesn't really matter. It's also at the same height as the saddle - obviously - so you have to swing your leg right over it, and remember to do the same when dismounting or you will get covered in muck from the underside. But having said that my most serious gripe is with the name. While I don't have any particular animosity towards donkeys I don't see what they have to do with keeping my backside clean.

Morgan Blue Bike Mud-Off + Pump Applicator 1000cc
Morgan Blue Bike Mud-Off + Pump Applicator 1000cc
Offered by Laxzo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, 11 Feb. 2015
Having tried similar products from likes of Muc Off and Juicy Lubes I wasn't looking for anything better. I just get through a lot of this stuff and I was running out of whatever I had. My LBS happened to stock this in the posher end of the shop and, while my Domane 4.5 was from the cheaper end, I picked up a bottle, complete with spray nozzle. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised - maybe more surprised than one should be with a cleaning product. The spray action gave good coverage while being quite directional too, quickly soaking the bike and not the ground. It had a nice, foamy composition once in contact with bike and expanded to fill areas like under the saddle. Within seconds I could see the foam turn brown as it lifted dirt from the underside of the down tube and back of the seat tube (in February). I tend to degrease the chain and mech first, and then rinse down the whole bike with a hose before applying this cleaner everywhere, including the drive train, if only to make sure the degreaser is completely dispersed (obviously this stuff will not shift drive train gunk). I will be trying other Morgan Blue products next and I found their website worth a visit.

Injinji Performance Midweight Mini Crew Socks
Injinji Performance Midweight Mini Crew Socks

5.0 out of 5 stars No more blisters!, 1 July 2013
Although I wear normal toeless trainers I purchased these socks to alleviate a persistent blister between my toes. Not only did the blister disappear I found them to be much more performant than any other sock I've ever tried. The fit is good with some support - but no pinching - and absolutely no rubbing anywhere. They're noticeably cooler on long runs, although I'm not sure why this is. The material and seamless construction is of a very high quality, and the mesh sections must help with the cooling, but these can be found on other socks. I put the coolness down to the reduced tugging you get as the toes are properly fitted. Instead of each foot strike and toe roll tugging at the rest of the sock and producing heat through friction it feels like your trainers are glued in place. Anyway I'm ordering more now so that I never have to run toeless again. Perhaps I'll start wearing them to work too?!

The Better Angels of Our Nature: A History of Violence and Humanity
The Better Angels of Our Nature: A History of Violence and Humanity
by Steven Pinker

5.0 out of 5 stars A Triumph, 1 July 2013
Better Angels is thoroughly exceptional and quite probably the most thought provoking and eloquent book ever to emerge from the realm of science. A masterpiece. Finally we have evidence that God exists, and his name is Steven Pinker.

Yurbuds Ironman Inspire Duro Performance-Fit Sports In-Ear Headphones - Black
Yurbuds Ironman Inspire Duro Performance-Fit Sports In-Ear Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect?, 7 May 2013
This is the fifth brand of earphones I've tried and I doubt that I will ever try another brand again. My only quibble is that the guarantee is worthless - they just won't fall out under any circumstances.

Remington HC365 Stylist Hair Clipper Set
Remington HC365 Stylist Hair Clipper Set
Offered by direct sales online

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes short work of THICK hair, 15 Feb. 2013
Every barber I've ever been to says I have the thickest hair they've ever seen. As it can't be styled I started clipping my own hair 15 years ago. The first pair of clippers I bought were ceramic and they worked perfectly well for years and years. When they finally fell apart I thought nothing of buying the first set of clippers I came across. I didn't know they could be so bad. They were useless from day one, failing to clip more than a couple of hairs at each run and tearing at the rest. I quickly bought a more expensive set thinking I'd been had. For year after year I kept replacing these things with the most powerful, highest quality clippers I could find on the market. I tried all the big names and always with steel blades as they were the most expensive. Finally I tried this set of ceramic clippers from Remington. They're battery powered and a third of the price of my last steel bladed, mains operated Wahl's. It was a complete shock to me when they sailed though the first cut - on batteries alone - without even slowing down. I waited until the second cut to confirm the blades still had it but couldn't wait any longer to share the fact that ceramic is better than steel for thick hair , or your money back... as they say..)

adidas AD-11212 Training Mat Black
adidas AD-11212 Training Mat Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made, 11 July 2011
It's exactly what I was expecting; a premium home exercise mat. I use it mainly for the UFC Personal Trainer (Kinect) game. I wanted something that would stand up to some punishment while jumping, kicking and the like. More to deaden the sound than provide deep cushioning. It does deaden the sound; it doesn't move; it provides minimal cushioning during floor work, as expected. It is made with a quality neoprene that deforms and reforms well, as expected at this price. The edging is nicely stitched all the way around. What sets it apart for me is the detailed ribbing that ensures it folds up really neatly. When it's put away under the sofa it looks presentable, rather than an exercise mat that's been stuffed under the sofa.

Really though for my requirements I think I should have gone for either interlocking floor squares or a more heavyweight rubber mat. In fact I spend a long time looking for either of these and couldn't get quite what I wanted. Something that would be both quick to lay out and flat when packed. Anyway...

...an extra star for Sweatband, the seller, who delivered next day on a free 3-5 day service.

UFC Personal Trainer - Kinect Required (Xbox 360)
UFC Personal Trainer - Kinect Required (Xbox 360)
Offered by Ace Goods Co. Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed martial arts with mixed results, 4 July 2011
Completed one and a half workouts so far, but even so the results have been mixed. First of all this game needs a lot of space. Once you've moved the sofa you might need to knock down a wall or two. If you take the Kinect Sports playing area as a baseline, you need to add at least a foot on either side and a couple of feet behind. This is not such a bad thing; I would have been surprised if it didn't need any space! I also found with wooden floors that I needed a mat. Not for the comfort factor but to deaden the sound of early morning workouts.

You have to take a fitness test initially, which is fun! I ranked as intermediate but then again I didn't manage to take my own pulse properly. Practise taking your own pulse before the "trainer" tells you to do it. The test serves as an introduction to the game as well. You go through a little warm-up and then you're told to do as many sit-ups, push-ups and jumping-jacks as you can in a minute each. It tracks you and counts your reps. It's a strange experience but it works well.

I bought UFC Personal Trainer to improve my fitness in general. I already lift free weights about 3 times a week and I run about 2 times a week. I felt this trainer would improve my flexibility and round out strength and power. Of course the "training plans" don't really fit with my plans. Instead I'll stick with the single workouts and manage a plan myself. I first chose a 15 minute introductory session to Muay Thai. Another 5 minute warm-up and we were jabbing, hooking and we even did some combo thing. This is exactly what I got the game for. It hit all the right spots. Really responsive. I got right into it. I certainly moved in ways I never would have by myself. I scored an A+ apparently, whatever that means.

It was so good I decided to carry on with another 15 minute workout. For some reason I had to go through another 5 minute warm-up. I'm not sure why I needed to warm up; I'd just been through a short warm-up, a fitness test, a full warm-up and a 15 minute session. I felt like the lawyers were getting in the way here. Then I hit a real problem with the workout itself...

My second workout included some pretty intense moves including a "get up" where you get down on the floor and have to get yourself up as quickly as possible. It seemed that, no matter what I did, the rep was not tracked; I got down and got up more than 10 times before a single rep was counted. I was supposed to do 35 of these. It would've killed me. Luckily the trainer "failed" me instead. I did manage to work out was was happening by the time it was too late. I was putting my hand on the floor when I shouldn't have been. I could put this down to my inexperience and not paying enough attention to the trainer, who did show exactly how to do it - without the hand - except that this was my second "introductory" session and I fear many more complicated moves will come up. While it may seem relatively minor, something like this in the middle of a workout can ruin the whole thing. It really exposes the limits of the technology.

Overall though I'm really impressed. The workouts themselves are exactly what I was looking for. I'm hoping to get some serious training out of it over a long time.

Update: After my first month and about a dozen workouts I can report that I haven't had a repeat of the tracking issue with any other exercise. In fact the tracking is really excellent, which is pretty fundamental to the game I guess. I've also found how to skip the warm-ups by either saying "trainer skip exercise" or pausing the game (hold left arm out) and selecting "skip exercise". Still mightily impressed with the game and will continue the workouts for a long time to come. As I'd hoped it has definitely helped with shoulder stiffness due to weightlifting. More surprisingly it has seriously increased the range of motion in my legs, which I wasn't expecting as I already do a lot of resistance exercises, running and stretching.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4