Profile for Trinny > Reviews

Content by Trinny

Trinny "trinityuk" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Brooklyn Tins Wallpaper by Merci 1000 x 48.7 cm 1-Roll Non-Woven Back Wallpaper, Dark Grey/ Brown/ Off White
Offered by Mookywoo
Price: 199.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and cool, 16 Jan 2014
Well, its absolutely beautiful. My only gripe is that there is no texture, its basically printed flat wallpaper. Maybe I should have researched better, but in the pictures, it looks embossed, and I suppose I was expecting it to have texture. That aside -this is absolutely stunning, unique and impactfull wallpaper. Super easy to hang and cut to shape as well.

Moleskine Hard Professional Notebook Extra Large (Moleskine Folio)
Moleskine Hard Professional Notebook Extra Large (Moleskine Folio)
Price: 15.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Thinner paper than normal Moleskine, 30 May 2013
I like the project layout, line spacing is perfect, colour is good, the whole feel is unmistakenkenly Moleskine. But the paper is only 70gsm against the normal folio range which is 100gsm, so the ink bleeds through from my fountain pen and pressure from my rollerball pen can be seen several pages trough. Its my own mistake and I should have checked gsm before purchasing... but I thought Moleskine always used the same quality paper. Everything else is good about this, but bear the paper quality in mind when deciding.

Damn Good Advice (For People With Talent!): How To Unleash Your Creative Potential by America's Master Communicator, George Lois
by George Lois
Price: 4.76

2.0 out of 5 stars More Sterling than Draper, 23 April 2013
So this will be one of those mind-fuddlers (I'm not allowed to swear in an amazon review, so I creatively use the word fuddle instead) where, if you are critical, its your own fault because you are not getting it. Oh, the snake eating its on tail. I was looking for the bit where he says Hah! Joke! Made you buy it! Mwahaha, your 10 dollars are now MY 10 dollars and I'm the rich one. If I say the author is a tad self congratulatory, that would be an understatement. A nice look back at the good ole days if you have time.

You Had Me At Hello
You Had Me At Hello
by Mhairi McFarlane
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars You had me at page one, 13 April 2013
This review is from: You Had Me At Hello (Paperback)
Dont know what else to add that hasn't already been said. What a total gem of a book. As funny as Keyes, full of charm, wit and giggle out loud on the train moments, without it ever getting gooey or twee. Loved it. Please write more books Mhairi McFarlane.

A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future
A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future
by Daniel H. Pink
Price: 8.47

3.0 out of 5 stars Preaching to the converted...., 21 Mar 2013
The point the author makes is solid, but this could have been an essay or a long article. I believe on some level that the author is absolutely right, to thrive and succeed today, we need to think differently about our career than our parents did and make a living producing work that can not be outsourced. The portfolio exercises are fun Edward de Bono derivatives, a couple of writing and drawing challenges were genuinely fun and surprising. However - in my view we will always need people who choose the "traditional" career paths, as they are often the ones who can build scalable businesses. We cant all work in service businesses, cutting each others hair, polishing each others shoes, doing each others advertising campaigns. Moreover, this kind of book will always be preaching to the choir. A programmer, doctor or solicitor is unlikely to prioritize time to read this book, and thus, this is a book for people already working in the creative right-brained field of business, giving themselves a self-congratulatory pat on the back for being smart enough to choose a right-brained career path. (Myself included. :)I would have given more stars, but the chapters kept losing me for lack of succinctness, the same points are made many times and from many angles. This is of course the mark of a well researched and intelligent piece of work, but I would have enjoyed a tighter edit more.

Mad Men Season 5 [DVD]
Mad Men Season 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Hamm
Price: 15.91

5.0 out of 5 stars The show that never sleeps, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: Mad Men Season 5 [DVD] (DVD)
Mad Men.... Where to start? Series 5 felt quite compact, the storylines tight, poetic and beautifully interwoven as ever, the attention to detail exquisite as always. The tension that has permeated the first four series, for me anyway -whether Dick Whitman would ever come clean /would Don Draper ever find true love - has been replaced by something else in series 5. I have loved Mad Men from the beginning, albeit with the caveat that the characters were so flawed, it's their flaws you start loving, not their good sides. The surprising show stealer here was Megan. FINALLY someone who makes a stand and says no thanks to the frustrating half-life that everyone else at SCDP seems to be content with! Even Peggy who has been the one female character I have been able to relate to for her dogged pursuit of a corner office, but to the detriment of anything else, delivers a delicious and long overdue right hook to Don Drapers well shaved chin. I am feeling calm about Peggy, because the twittersphere is telling all will be fine :). Her development into a more rounded person is as satisfying to watch as Megans surprisingly heavy impact despite her newness to the Mad Men family. Anyway. 5 Stars. How could I not? The show that never sleeps.

BaByliss 2775U 50 mm Big Hair Rotating Styler
BaByliss 2775U 50 mm Big Hair Rotating Styler
Offered by ALL MAX SHOPPING
Price: 79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Blow drying for dummies, 16 Feb 2012
This product makes me look like i have had a salon blow dry, its as simple as that. It doesn't give me "big hair" as the name suggests, it gives me smooth, shiny and manageable hair that I could never hope to achieve on my own using a hair dryer and a brush. Although it looks daunting, the technique is easy to master, took me 2 minutes to get my fingers programmed to use the right buttons for the rolling up and releasing again. Very good, 5 stars.

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to be as cool as Katniss!, 16 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
The scope for this novel is so rich and well thought out. The description for the book which contains words like "post apocalyptic" and "fight to death" initially put me off, but the protagonist is so likable and down to earth, you get sucked in straight away and want her to kick some Capitol butt! My only gripe is that the books are relatively short. But then I am not the teen target market, so I will get over that... 5 stars, great fun. I want to be as cool as Katniss!

Devil's Sonata: Evil never dies
Devil's Sonata: Evil never dies
Price: 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Too black and white, 22 Aug 2011
Being a huge fan of EE's other books (The frozen lake, The villa in Italy, The art of love), this was frankly a bit of a limp handshake. The characters are (like in EE's other books) very black and white, they are either terrible, cruel, soul-less and authoritarian, or spunky, funny, happy and clever. It didn't bother me so much in her other books, but this time its getting on my nerves because it gets hammered home at every opportunity. Especially the two violinists at the school - one is obsessive, perfect and hollow, the other is vivacious, popular and sweet, but not technically perfect. So we need many, many dialogues between the protagonists of the book to discuss the hollowness of one and the sweetness of the other, which frankly is just very clumsily executed. This book could have been brilliant, but it is written in a way so even the audience on the cheap seats at the back understand the "undercurrents" and the ever building sense of doom. 2 stars.

Poser: My Life in Twenty-Three Yoga Poses
Poser: My Life in Twenty-Three Yoga Poses
by Claire Dederer

3.0 out of 5 stars a 3 star review!, 17 April 2011
This is my first 3 star review! I am usually compelled to write reviews that are either titled "I LOVE IT!" or I HATE IT!, but this book was so nearly there, but then not quite. Its all a bit blah and meh and bland, and perhaps its because I am just too far removed from the North Seattle community she describes and which obviously shaped her life.... I too am a mum, I too like yoga, I too write stuff for a living. But the book didn't manage to draw me in and make me love it. Sorry!

Page: 1 | 2