Profile for J. Paterson > Reviews

Got, Not Got: The A-Z of Lost Football Culture, Treasures and Pleasures
by Derek Hammond
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Got, Got, Got to read this!, 10 Nov 2011
As a self-confessed football nut and nostalgia junky, I waited eagerly for this book to drop through my letterbox. I wasn't disappointed. Visually rich and crammed full of fabulous artifacts from my youth Got, Not Got was a complete and utter joy from start to finish.

The nostalgia seeps from the pages, bringing back memories of lazy afternoons waiting for Final Score to come on the telly so I could update my League Ladders. It also includes memorabilia that I'd not thought of for decades - in the pre-internet age, getting hold of a set of stamps with footballers'on from somewhere far off like Equatorial Guinea was like winning the lottery!

This fantastic book does through photos and images what the equally excellent Modern Football Is Rubbish: An A-Z of All That Is Wrong with the Beautiful Game does with words - it allows me to wallow in the nostalgia of my youth. Got, Not Got is a 'must have' Christmas present for any middle-aged football fan. Buy it!

Modern Football is Still Rubbish: Slinging mud at what's left of 'the beautiful game'
by Nick Davidson
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Funnier than the original!, 27 Jun 2010
I write this a few hours after England crashed out of the 2010 World Cup, demolished by a German side who were superior in every department. Another low point for English football. Not long after the final whistle I reached for my copy of Modern Football is Still Rubbish. I wasn't looking for answers (although the authors make plenty of sensible suggestions), I needed cheering up. Make no mistake this book is funny, perhaps even funnier than the original. These boys/middle-aged men like to moan about the ills of the modern game, but they also make plenty of wry observations that can't help but make you laugh.

They cleverly mix nostalgia with rage, but are very aware that the football of their youth was far from perfect either. In the midst of the despair at our current World Cup exit it is worth remembering that we were deprived of England's participation in the World Cup for almost the entire 1970s. The rants are well directed, whilst the nostalgic sections on 'The Forgotten Smells of Football' will have you you pining for both dubbin and fried onions in the turn of a page. Entries on end of season videos, faux-centenaries and modern footballs (an evolution that will only be complete when the one of those 99p footballs you buy from the local garage are the official matchball of the next World Cup) will have you nodding your head in agreement.

The authors really deserve more widespread recognition, if only for putting down on the page what everyone else is thinking. This summer we've had to put up with celebrities trying to be funny about football - this book contains more laughs on one page than I can remember in an entire episode of James Corden's World Cup Live.

All I can say is if you need cheering up - buy a copy of this book. Five Stars!

The Damned Utd
The Damned Utd
by David Peace
Price: 4.92

5.0 out of 5 stars A damned fine read, 31 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Damned Utd (Paperback)
I can only echo the sentiments of many of the above reviews, this is one of the finest books about football I've ever read. If you are coming to this after seeing the filmThe Damned United [DVD], you won't be disappointed. The book is much darker in it's portrayal of Clough and as such you are left with the notion of a man wrestling with internal demons.
The author is a pains to point out that it is a novel, and certainly the Clough family are far from happy with Brian's portrayal. To me, the book only emphasises Clough's greatness and his place in the hearts of the British football public. If you enjoy Peace's ability to immerse you in a different time and place then try GB84, his brilliant novel about the 1984 Miner's Strike. It`s equally as dark and equally as powerful. For another excellent book on Clough try Provided You Don't Kiss Me: 20 Years with Brian Clough
And if you like your football writing with a whiff of nostalgia, try the extremely funny: Modern Football Is Rubbish: An A-Z of All That Is Wrong with the Beautiful Game
Back to the matter in hand, The Damned United is a truly astounding book, I doubt they'll be a better football book written in the next 10 years.

For Crying Out Loud: The World According to Clarkson Volume 3: The World According to Clarkson v. 3 (World According to Clarkson 3)
by Jeremy Clarkson

5.0 out of 5 stars Still in top gear!, 13 Nov 2008
I can't believe the franchise has reached volume 3 already! 'For Crying Out Loud' picks up where 'And Another Thing' left off. And I must say it is vintage Clarkson, ranting on all the usual subjects and more.

I can't say I agree with everything he says (in fact sometimes quite the opposite), but this is his genius - he has the ability to make you laugh even if you don't share his opinions. He even finds time to take the mickey out of himself!

This book will be on many a Christmas list and rightly so... Clarkson remains the king of the genre. That said, Grumpy Old Rockstar: and Other Wonderous Stories: And Other Wonderous Stories by Rick Wakeman is a brilliant read if music is your thing, while Modern Football Is Rubbish: An A-Z of All That Is Wrong with the Beautiful Game by Nick Davidson and Shaun Hunt is the funniest thing I've read in ages - ideal for the grumpy old football fan in your life.

In the age of the credit-crunch Clarkson's latest effort... delivers belly-laughs a plenty for a bargain price!

Modern Football Is Rubbish: An A-Z of All That Is Wrong with the Beautiful Game
Modern Football Is Rubbish: An A-Z of All That Is Wrong with the Beautiful Game
by Nick Davidson
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the grumpy old football fan in your life, 13 Nov 2008
This is one of the funniest books I've read in ages. Not only that, but it's also insightful and poignant. The authors have done a great job mixing nostalgia for a bygone age with topical rants about where football has gone wrong.

There's so much to make you laugh. I won't ruin it for you by listing all the funny stuff, but the section on the forgotten smells of football had me in stitches.

This book deserves at least a sequel AND it's own spin off TV series. It really is that good. Buy a copy for yourself or for the grumpy old football fan in your life. It's the perfect Christmas gift.