Profile for A. Macdougall > Reviews

Content by A. Macdougall

A. Macdougall "AliMac" (London)

Squishy Mesh Ball - Great Boys Party Bag Fillers!
Squishy Mesh Ball - Great Boys Party Bag Fillers!
Offered by mtxtoys

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, Shame About Production Quality, 29 Jan. 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
A Xmas present for my son, this ball was great as a stress gripper & we all thought the change of colour 'grape type' extrusions were really fun. However, as previous reviewers have stated, it only lasted a couple of days before it burst & squirted gunk all over him & the setee he was sitting on. I sent a complaint post-Xmas but got no response. Life is too short to get into a prolonged dispute on a cheap item, but I don't advise anyone to buy one unless they just want an amusing item for a (single night) outing.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good design, but could do with a few tweeks, 23 Aug. 2011
I have grown to loath the Lidl £5 shop-trolly: flat-fold to fit in another bag/rucksac when empty is good; flip-out wheels & stabilisers are totally inadequate, folding back up or splaying out on either side whenever you stop wheeling & say get on a bus. I therefore ignored all options with fold-up wheels.

This Hoppa looked simple & sturdy compared to some cheaper options. I received & used it today. Seems absolutely what I wanted for occasional shifting of bulky stuff without a car. Possible improvements are:
a) some simple means of locking the collapsed bag for transporting when empty.
b) some form of fastening to attach the top flap to the body of the bag.
c) some simple instructions on how to attach the wheels & fit the bag over the frame. I had no personal problem with either of these, but the absence of guidelines seemed strange.

All in all, I think it a good product, and recommend it if you are trying to avoid using your car when not really essential.

Pinnacle Studio Plus v.10 Upgrade (PC)
Pinnacle Studio Plus v.10 Upgrade (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Bug-ridden Disgrace, 23 Jun. 2006
Having read the early bad reviews of this product, I checked with Pinnacle to see when they expected to release a stable version, to be told that the then latest v10.5 was stable. So I bought the upgrade in May.

Since Amazon supplied v10.1.1B (beta?), I then had to spent days downloading various patched to bring it up to v10.5, further time finding out to remove my old v8 (not automatic), and had to restart my latest project because v8/9 footage is not upwardly compatible with v10.

After all that, I have spent the last frustrating month trying to edit about 30 minutes of footage, but the software keeps crashing on even the simplest task like trimming a title length. Even more annoying is the fact that it will work for 5 minutes or more before it crashes - which prompts you to keep trying instead of sending it back for a refund.

I finally abandoning it yesterday and reloaded my old v8. I now agree with one of the earlier reviewers that no one should consider buying this software until there are a lot more favourable reviews confirming that Pinnacle have resolved all the bugs.

Broken Blossom
Broken Blossom
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Bette's Bestest Album, 19 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Broken Blossom (Audio CD)
Although I have always loved The Divine Miss M, given to me as a present in the mid-70s when no one outside the US had heard of her, I consider Broken Blossom by far her best album. She sings here with more 'maturity' (ie toned down but by no means out), especially on the 2 bluesy tracks - one with Tom Waites. If you don't own any Middler albums this is the one to buy. If you have all of the others, dump about half (anything from the late 80s onward) and replace with this.

Richard III [DVD] [1996]
Richard III [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Ian McKellen

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Setting for a Dark Tale, 7 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Richard III [DVD] [1996] (DVD)
Producing Shakespeare in a fascist setting is not exactly original, but it really works with this film as it is merely a suitable backdrop to a very dark tale of one man's scheming, opportunism & driving ambition. The (original) script is actually lightened by the 1930s feel, eg the authentic-sounding rendition of a sonnet set to 30s dance music in the ballroom scene is terrific, and McKellan's twinkle-eye cheeky asides when he tells us what dastardly deed he is planning next. The rest of the cast is almost universally excellent, with performances ranging from sophisticated Coward-style interplay to occasional flashes of extreme violence. All in all a very gripping production, which may not please traditionalists, but will more than delight anyone with a real interest in theatre and a good story well told.