Profile for A. Blackwell > Reviews

Content by A. Blackwell

A. Blackwell "Beedlebrox" (Grantham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Black & Decker the Complete Guide to Plumbing, Updated 5th Edition: Faucets & Fixtures - Pex - Tubs & Toilets - Water Heaters - Troubleshooting & ... More (Black & Decker Complete Guide To...)
by Editors of Creative Publishing

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Suitable for the UK, 30 July 2013
Yet again, a book designed for the American market is listed on Amazon.co.uk. What's the problem with this? Well simply that US plumbing is completely different to that in the UK, so much so that regardless of how wonderful the book itself might be it's still pretty close to useless for anyone living East of Maine.

Remodel Plumbing (For Pros By Pros)
Remodel Plumbing (For Pros By Pros)
by Rex Cauldwell

1.0 out of 5 stars An American Book for American Plumbing, 29 July 2013
This might be a terrific book.. providing you live in the USA. Sadly, if you live on this side of 'the pond' it's close to useless because the materials, methods and approches are completely different. This is not a fault of the book, rather its the fault of the publishers and Amazon for not actually stating that at the outset.

Port Designs Phoenix II Case Compatible with iPad 2, New iPad, Samsung 10.1" Tab and Samsung Note 10.1" - Purple
Offered by TotallyGadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 15 July 2013
Nice case! It's sturdy enough to protect it from my work environment (Plumber) and opens up to form a neat little support which would be really handy for sitting on a train and watching a movie. Sadly, I haven't had an opportunity to do this but it's also useful to read boiler servicing manuals whilst it's propped up on a kitchen work top

Halo 4 (Xbox 360)
Halo 4 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Digitalville UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Halo 4 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
What a load of utter rubbish! This is just a mind numbingly dull shoot them up where you walk down umpteen dull corridors shooting at odd looking things that could be anything but, since they shoot back, are probably the enemy.

Complete waste of money.

Wong To Yick Wood Lock Medicated Balm Oil
Wong To Yick Wood Lock Medicated Balm Oil
Offered by fantat.trading

2.0 out of 5 stars It's only 50ml regardless of what is says!, 15 July 2013
When a small 50ml bottle arrived in the post I was a bit surprised because the advert clearly said - and still does - that it was 100ml with a boxed weight of 200ml. I emailed the supplier to complain about this was told you can only buy Wood Lock in 50ml bottles (as if I should have already known) and then, when I pointed out their page on Amazon clearly stated 100ml, was given an apology and told they'd change the page. That was getting on for 2 months ago and they haven't changed a thing, hence the 2 star rating as they appear to be trying to pull the now legendary "fast-one"

All that said the product it self seems to be the genuine article, which is sort of like a liquid "Deep Heat". I got it for sciatica and the heat does do the trick when massaged into my back and legs. Like all these heat balms it's based on some fairly volatile natural oils and so does have a strong smell, although not nearly as strong as that of Deep Heat.

So, in summary, a good product but dodgy suppliers.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2013 8:22 PM GMT

Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360)
Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by AllGoodDealz

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly brilliant!, 24 May 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This was the first game I bought for the XBox and I thought I'd try out a few more games before I offered any opinion on it. Having now played Skyrim and Black ops I think I can safely say that this is an absolutely superb game.

First off the graphics are brilliant; the island itself is lovely - not quite to the standards of the scenery in Avatar but, bearing in mind that it is actually set on earth, still superb. The animated characters 'in Game' are very well rendered. They still have that slightly stilted feel about them in the way they move and talk but less so than with most other games I've played - why is it that 'Prince of Persia' in the 1990's seemed to get over most of this using motion capture yet modern games still can't generate 'natural' motion 20 years later?

I suspect that most of the negative reviews of this game are because it doesn't sit firmly in one genre or another. It is a 'shoot-them-up' but it's also an 'adventure-strategy' game. In truth it's best described as a 'life on an island filled with maniacs out to get me' game. There are aspects that involve shooting an awful lot of awful people and others that require you to sneak quietly from place to place, occasionally 'taking-out' the passing baddie but largely keeping the now legendary 'low profile'.

The main thread of the game involves taking out the pirates and drug lords that have taken control of the Islands. On the whole these are either Australian or American, which is rather a unique take on the 'baddie'. I wouldn't say that I was in favour of this but it's nice to see a game not trying to reinforce mindless stereotypes and offering up the usual dish of Arabs, Russians and French as the dastardly foes. How you follow this main thread is really up to you; you can ignore everything else and use the 'see-the-hill-take-the-hill' approach or you can get distracted by the side games and perhaps stop off to liberate an area of the island or shoot the s*** out of the wild life before it eats you. In other words you aren't aimed down an alley like many games, you have pretty much all the freedom you like to play the game the way you like, which is the aspect of the game I found so enjoyable.

Some of the side games are great - liberating the island is most enjoyable - but others are a tad dull, if not utterly pointless. That said you can always liven them up by hang-gliding into them or hurtling off on a jet-ski or just racing around the island like a mad man in a rapidly disintegrating jeep.

The game is an 18. I realise that many people take these ratings with a large pinch of salt but I really don't think this one is at all suitable for any one under this age; the language used is very 'vivid', enough to make me feel embarrassed when my wife walked into the room whilst I was in full 'game', the scenarios are often very adult, the violence is very graphic and the sex scenes are... well actually they are quite mild but they are there - apparently shooting someone in the head is okay but you have to be careful about how much tit you show! Who made up these rules? Pol Pot?

All in all I feel very let down so far that no other game I've tried has come even close to this. If you only buy one game - and fancy shooting people - buy this!

Xbox 360 4GB Console
Xbox 360 4GB Console

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 23 May 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 4GB Console (Video Game)
I must admit that I'm not really a Gamer. I bought the Xbox because I was fed up with trying to keep my PC's spec sufficiently high to allow me to play the odd, vaguely modern, game. I had a look at the other options (I already had a Wii and a PS2) but I felt that the XBox offered a better range of games. I was going to go for the Xbox 250 but, bearing in mind how often I play, the 4GB version seemed more than sufficient, and so it has turned out.

There are a few things that miffed me. Firstly you only get one controller, which seems a bit anti-social bearing in mind the number of multi-player games available. However, I can always buy a 2nd controller when I decide to start being sociable.

You don't get the HDMI cable with the box! If you have an HDTV, and let's face it most of us do these days, then the graphics are going to be distinctly under whelming if you use the RGB cable that comes with the box. Fortunately an HDMI cable is not that expensive but I would have thought they'd have supplied it with the machine.

XBox Live! What's that all about? I really can't see much point to it at all. And trying to sell an internet browser? I suspect the guy at Microsoft who first thought of charging for Hotmail has been moved to XBox Live, it just has that ring of money grabbing, ultimate failure about it.

Those things aside it's been a worthwhile investment.

Civilization V - Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD)
Civilization V - Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by Digitalville UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 9 July 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Every few years I buy the latest version of Civ in the vain hope that it might be better still. Sadly this version was a huge disappointment, it's just soooo slow. They seem determined to ensure historical accuracy by making the rise and fall of empires last about a 1000 years of game play. I tried, I tried again and then I went back to Civ IV. Why can't someone just bring out Civ 3 with a longer duration and better graphics instead of constantly trying to make a balls up of a winning formula?

Beats me!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2012 9:33 AM GMT

Domestic Gas Safety on Site Guide (2-part Set)
Domestic Gas Safety on Site Guide (2-part Set)
by NICEIC Group Ltd
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the professional gas installer, 30 May 2012
I've been using the Viper books for an age but, when I recently did my gas Cookers and Fires course, they handed out this set of books. They are so much easier to read, with really clear diagrams and a great layout that allows you to find the relevant section in no time all.

Just ordered them for myself and would recommend them for any one interested in taking their gas course and for all qualified gas engineers who want to be able to look up the more obscure facts quickly and easily.

Fable: The Lost Chapters (PC CD)
Fable: The Lost Chapters (PC CD)
Offered by RAREWAVES

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 8 Feb 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This is my first RPG game. I tend to avoid them as I get bored killing things all the time and I prefer the more relaxed strategy games where you can sip a cup of tea and dunk a bourbon whilst you play.

All that may have changed as this game was superb! The graphics are beautifully put together, the game area is enormous, the characters are fun and the story line is witty, interesting and full of incident. Best of all there isn't just one way of succeeding and the game play doesn't insist that you complete every aspect of a scenario in order - in other words you could play it again and still enjoy yourself.

The instruction manual is a very slim and brief leaflet, and that is seriously all you need. You may occasionally wish you had more fingers but that aside the whole game is very intuitive.

The only downside to this game is that you need rotten weather to play it in, as you are going to miss out on an entire weekend, and you can forget about playing it with a cup of tea in one hand and a hobnob in the other - unless you don't mind wearing both.

Page: 1 | 2