Profile for Bookaholic > Reviews

Content by Bookaholic

Bookaholic "prussblue" (St. Louis area, MO USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
According to the Evidence (Richard Pryor Mysteries)
According to the Evidence (Richard Pryor Mysteries)
by Bernard Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Second Title in the "Richard Pryor Mystery Series", 19 Feb. 2011
I was more than happy to go to the added expense late last year to obtain this title. I have long been a fan of Dr. Knight and know of both his fiction and non-fiction writing. I was so "hooked" by the first title that I could not wait many months for the second title in this new series that begins in 1955 Wales / England, etc. All I can say is that I will most likely be doing the same for whatever is the third title in this remarkable series. Readers, I hope you will share your experience of reading enjoyment with others and not keep this series a secret. BTW, Knight, in years past, wrote under pseudonym such as Bernard Picton. If you are familiar with those as well as titles written under his true name of Bernard Knight, you know you can expect a good read.

Where Death Delights
Where Death Delights

5.0 out of 5 stars Bernard Knight Jumps Forward to Post WWII U.K., 17 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Where Death Delights (Hardcover)
I have read the "Crowner (Coroner) John" series with much enjoyment not to mention other titles by Dr. Bernard Knight which include non-fiction (I wish I could find his 1960's titles). I saw one detractor speak of confusion and such (that was on another web site). I can not address that, it is not my problem. However, I can say that this title is the first in a new series that takes place in Post WWII U.K. It is essential that the author, in the best interests of the reader, to set the stage, so to speak, for the time and circumstances in which events take place (a socio-cultural context). The younger U.K. reader, as well as the American reader, might not appreciate that it took a while for the U.K. to rebound from the WWII experience. Rationing was still practiced, if not officially, in need by many. The main character, and others, served in the war and their lives were still adjusting about a decade later (I won't give specifics because that would take away from a good read). In the first title of a series, I believe it is important for the author to "flesh out" the characters and provide details of life so that one can be in tune with the setting(s) as well as better understand future titles in the series. I may not always agree with Dr. Knight, but I can say that despite that I find his writing worth reading and most enjoyable. He wrote in such a way that I could not only associate with many things spoken of in the book, but better appreciate the characters and their trials and tribulations. I certainly hope that the good Doctor will be able to provide us with more titles in this new series. I was even surprised at how many things I was familiar with from my past associations with the British military and U.K. friends. I think you will find it satisfying if you like socio-cultural history mixed with your murder mystery. Knight still can pull off surprises for some in the last few pages and make the journey to the end of the book well worth it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2011 7:13 PM GMT

The Oath (Knights Templar Mysteries (Simon & Schuster))
The Oath (Knights Templar Mysteries (Simon & Schuster))

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Disappointed!, 16 July 2010
I will not bother with a detailed summary, as what some consider to be a review of a book, of this most recently released of Jecks Knights Templar Series (now published by Simon & Schuster, U.K.). You can find that information elsewhere if you so desire. Suffice it to say that I had considered being patient and waiting for "The Oath" to be released outside of the U.K. Having had it delayed already to July from May, 2010, I wondered if I could wait until October or November to obtain the book. I considered cost and currency exchange rate, not to mention air mail charges. I wanted to see if I was made of sterner stuff, but caved in after a few days. Having just finished it, I can say without reservation that it was more than worth the expense! Jecks remains devoted to historical detail while weaving a superb fictional murder mystery within the historical events of October to November in England / Wales of 1326. I will say that I might have done one or two things differently myself in writing this book, but I definitely could not have done better! Some years back, I decided that I needed to get away from a heavy load of academic reading in various disciplines. I read a few authors in the historical mystery genre, but I am thankful to have found Jecks quite by accident. I found myself obtaining his earlier works in short order and have kept up with him to the present. There are but one or two others I bother to read in the genre, e.g. Bernard Knight, but I find these men the most dedicated to what they write and afford me hours of reading enjoyment.

U.K. readers I hope appreciate Michael Jecks as an author. If they do, they should take a few moments to say so to others. There are authors who exist because of good "PR" more than the quality of what they write. Jecks is a very good author who should be appreciated and given "PR" by his readers in thanks for his work in this series. I, for one, can't wait for the next in the series!

BTW, I appreciate the prompt and excellent service received from Amazon U.K. in obtaining this title.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2012 6:32 PM BST

The Bishop Must Die (Knights Templar Mysteries (Headline))
The Bishop Must Die (Knights Templar Mysteries (Headline))

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Having it Mailed to the U.S.!, 4 Dec. 2009
Suffice it to say that Jecks has once again outdone himself in this latest in his series. I could not wait until an April, 2010 release in the U.S., so obtained it from Amazon U.K. (prompt service). It was worth the price from the U.K.!!! I read it while traveling, and found it difficult to put down. I very much look forward to the next title in the series. I should note that a few years back, when I was first introduced to this author, I was compelled to find every one in the series beginning with number one. I did not regret that move. I find that Michael Jecks, and his friend, Bernard Knight, are the masters of medieval murder mystery.

No Law in the Land (Knights Templar Mysteries 27)
No Law in the Land (Knights Templar Mysteries 27)

5.0 out of 5 stars I Still Can't Believe It, 3 Sept. 2009
Once again, I do not offer up a synopsis of the book. That is already available.
As an historical murder mystery writer, I have always considered Jecks a "cut above." But, he has truly amazed me as I expected a good read but not that he could so well exceed himself. I have the hard cover edition, but I suggest that in whatever format is available to you, read it! If you are already a fan, you should be happy for this release and be most impatient for #28.

The King Of Thieves (Knights Templar Mysteries 26)
The King Of Thieves (Knights Templar Mysteries 26)

5.0 out of 5 stars They Only Get Better, 3 Sept. 2009
Jecks continues to astonish me in adherence to historical accuracy but also in his ability to write a tale so well. I only began reading Jecks a few years back and had to find the early works and read them sequentially to best appreciate them although that might not be necessary for all readers (but you are missing something if you don't read the early works). In doing so, I also found that instead of fluctuating in quality as some authors are prone to do, he just seems to get better over time. I don't offer a synopsis as that is out there already for the reader but rather that I am selective in my authors in this genre (or any other to include non-fiction and academic reading). Jecks continues to provide worthwhile reading and somehow just "improves the product." I sincerely hope that this series continues as it offers pleasurable reading to not a few of us. Granted, the subject matter sometimes is a bit gruesome, or just not pleasant. But, history and historical fiction play in the truth that life is not always pleasant. I mention that as some readers take offense at such "unpleasantness" yet the characters show exceptional courage in the face of trial and tribulation. I should think that a good example rather than sticking one's head in the sand and making believe that life then and now is not always ... smooth and without rough edges.

King Arthur's Bones (Historical Mystery Series)
King Arthur's Bones (Historical Mystery Series)
by The Medieval Murderers

5.0 out of 5 stars #5, The Best Thus Far, 3 Sept. 2009
I will not offer up a synopsis, but suffice it to say it was a most enjoyable read especially those portions written by Bernard Knight and Michael Jecks who can always be counted on for excellence in writing and weaving a tale. The other authors involved in this work are good too, but I have my preferences.

The Chapel of Bones (Knights Templar Mysteries (Headline))
The Chapel of Bones (Knights Templar Mysteries (Headline))

5.0 out of 5 stars Jecks is Always Worth the Read, 3 Sept. 2009
I confess to having written this review elsewhere, but I know that I and others find an author like Jecks to be a "cut above" some others in the genre. However, readers today may enjoy an author but not pay them back with a few moments of review to encourage them as well as share the author with others.

Rather than just provide you with a synopsis of the book, I will note that a few years ago I started reading late in the series. I was eventually compelled to search in book stores and online for the earlier books in the series so that I could read them in sequence of publication. To date, and I have the latest in the series which is #27, I have not regretted that effort. I find the Jecks Knights Templar Mysteries a joy to read both from the perspective of the history and the excellent weaving of a mystery tale that includes the personal trials of the main characters and their families. I should mention that I have had others read some of his work without knowing the author and compare it to others also without the author known. Consistently, they pick out Jecks as the preferred author for quality of writing within an historical framework. What amazes me is how Jecks continues a high quality of writing in this genre and, to me, seems to get better over time. There are those authors who may write one good tale, the next not as good as the previous, etc., but for me, Jecks continues to astonish me we consistently good reads. You may feel that you know how a particular title is going to end, but you probably won't see the twist he may include. If you like those authors who "feed you the ending" so that you can pat yourself on the back for being so clever, you may prefer the "penny mystery" style. If you are not particular about historical accuracy, you may prefer those who "dress up" a character in a costume that might or might not be right for the period. So, if you like "penny mystery" and "dress up" look for those authors. But, if you want to enjoy a read and want more, read Jecks. BTW, that goes for the U.K.(spent time there and still have associations)or the U.S.

A Friar's Bloodfeud (Knights Templar Mysteries (Headline))
A Friar's Bloodfeud (Knights Templar Mysteries (Headline))

5.0 out of 5 stars You Don't Want to Put It Down, 3 Sept. 2009

Crowner Royal (A Crowner John Mystery)
Crowner Royal (A Crowner John Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Enought of Knight, 31 July 2009
I have sought out everything written by Knight that is available.
He is master craftsman whether writing fiction or non-fiction.
This latest work surprised even me. It is terrific and was worth getting the hard cover version in the U.S. I can only hope that there will be more to follow in this series!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7