Profile for A_Bookaholic > Reviews

Content by A_Bookaholic

A_Bookaholic "prussblue" (Midwest (old NY'er), USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Rebellion's Message (A Jack Blackjack Mystery)
Rebellion's Message (A Jack Blackjack Mystery)
by Michael Jecks

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Fascinating Work From Michael Jecks!, 6 May 2016
I confess to being a biased reviewer. I have, if not all, the vast majority of Jecks' novels and short stories. I am not going to 'nitpick' at a typo (not the author's issue) or the selection of 'cover art' (again, more of a publisher's issue than author). I am certainly not going to try to compare a character or characters to those from other works because I might have preferred the other ones.

Now, with that off my conscience, I am just going to say that, in my opinion, Jecks can move from one historical period to another and maintain his high quality / standard of story telling having done his homework (primary source research) for the period he is writing in. 'Rebellion's Message' is an interesting and entertaining read with some interesting twists. The read gave me enjoyment during a troublesome personal period when I really needed some good entertainment! I didn't read it as quickly as I am often tempted to do with his other works, not because of anything against the author, but my own situation at the time. Suffice it to say that if Jecks should write more about 'Jack Blackjack,' I will put in my order early.

I should also note that I get dismayed with reviewers who give poor star reviews for insignificant reasons while saying that they like the author. That is a 'non sequitur.' If they really like the author, one would think that they would promote them rather than try to get them off the book shelves doing what they do.

The Monogram Murders (Hercule Poirot Mystery 1)
The Monogram Murders (Hercule Poirot Mystery 1)
by Sophie Hannah

3.0 out of 5 stars but not as anything like the work of the late Dame Agatha Christie, 6 Mar. 2015
It is passable ... but not as anything like the work of the late Dame Agatha Christie. I do not agree with Christie's grandson's assessment (see back cover) . It was not what I had hoped for and thought that like the 'acting of some of the characters in the story line,' this Poirot was a pretender. That said, it is readable but I doubt I would go for more of the same. I found some parts confusing, e.g. I may be wrong but it is not made clear early on that a precipitating event had happened quite some time before the telling of this story.

The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 2)
The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars It is great that this excellent author and historical researcher is being ..., 19 Nov. 2014
I have to first say that I have the entire series plus more Jecks titles. It is great that this excellent author and historical researcher is being republished in various formats. I can't tell you how many hours of reading pleasure I have had not to mention re-reading.

A Moorland Hanging (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 3)
A Moorland Hanging (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is A Great Story ... In The Series, 19 Nov. 2014
I just wanted to point out that it is great that this title, and other early ones, are now being republished in both paper and e-book format! It makes it much easier for readers to obtain them at a reasonable price and not have to try to get a used one from a vendor (who may charge outrageous fees). It also gives the author an income source. Jecks is a terrific historical researcher (primary sources) and weaver of tales into the historical framework. I have all of the titles in the series as well as his other writings. I have had many hours of reading enjoyment from Jecks and hope to continue to do so for as long as I can. His new series has started off with a fantastic title, 'Fields of Glory' and am looking forward to the next one!

The Leper's Return (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 6)
The Leper's Return (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Keeper, 18 Nov. 2014
It is so great to see this and other titles in the series being republished both in paper and e-book format for access by readers who may not have been able to follow the series before now! I have the entire series as well as other works by Jecks. He is a great historical researcher, primary sources, and story teller! I

The Traitor of St. Giles (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 9)
The Traitor of St. Giles (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 9)

5.0 out of 5 stars Keepers, 18 Nov. 2014
So glad to this this and other titles in the series being republished both in paper and e-book format. I have the entire series as well as other Jecks titles. They are kept!

Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 8)
Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Keepers, 18 Nov. 2014
I have the entire series plus other writings of Jecks. They are all keepers! Someone asked about sequence of titles. This may help -- http://www.michaeljecks.co.uk/titles.html

The Sticklepath Strangler (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 12)
The Sticklepath Strangler (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Tale, 17 Nov. 2014
I have the entire series and other titles by Jecks. I am so glad that it is being reprinted in paper as well as e-book format! I have never been displeased with Jecks' works.

The Devil's Acolyte (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 13)
The Devil's Acolyte (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 13)

5.0 out of 5 stars Jecks Titles for Good Reads, 17 Nov. 2014
I am quite glad that the series is being republished in its entirety, paper and e-book. I have the entire series plus other Jecks works.
His primary source historical research is first rate and his ability to write a good and plausible story within the historical framework is terrific!

The Mad Monk Of Gidleigh (Knights Templar)
The Mad Monk Of Gidleigh (Knights Templar)
by Michael Jecks
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Just received a recommendation for this title. Amazon apparently ..., 30 Jun. 2014
Just received a recommendation for this title. Amazon apparently doesn't know that I have every title by Jecks. A remarkable author is worth collecting and reading.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7