Profile for John W Bailey > Reviews

Up Where We Belong
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it., 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: Up Where We Belong (Audio CD)
I enjoyed this album, especially track 14 'Bury my heart at Wounded Knee' which was the reason for me buying the album in the first place. It is the first music by Buffy Sainte-Marie that I have bought and I'm glad I did as the rest of the album was a good listen too.

Seven Pillars of Wisdom (Wordsworth Classics of World Literature)
Seven Pillars of Wisdom (Wordsworth Classics of World Literature)
by T. E. Lawrence
Price: 3.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard work., 4 Dec 2013
This book was ok but struggled to keep me interested. It was hard work to read through as it did not grab me and hold my attention. As it was written by Lawrence himself and I new only what I had seen in the film and from general information floating about the media, I suppose I wanted to gain a better insight into the man himself and the situations that unfolded in his life, personal and public. I think that it may have been the way it was written that made it such hard work to read. It was not engaging.

Setting the Desert on Fire: T.E. Lawrence and Britain's Secret War in Arabia, 1916-18
by James Barr
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just about Lawrence., 4 Dec 2013
I liked this book as it provided information about the bigger picture and not just from Lawrence's point of view. It was written in a way that made it easier to read than Lawrence's 'Seven Pillars of Wisdom' which was hard work and not so engaging.

James Whitham: What a Good Do
James Whitham: What a Good Do
by James Whitham

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Do, 4 Dec 2013
I enjoyed this book. It's a good read even if you don't know who Jamie Whitham is. There's plenty of humour and good story telling as well as interesting motorcycling insight.
Worth a read.

Benelli 750 & 900 Performance Portfolio 1973-1989 (Brooklands Books Road Test Series)
by R.M. Clarke
Price: 16.95

4.0 out of 5 stars For the enthusiast., 4 Dec 2013
An interesting book showing the reviews of the day. I gained some new information but the reviews provided more opinion than fact. Overall it was an interesting read.

West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum
West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum
Price: 5.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 7 Sep 2013
I'd heard 'Fire' before and as the title track to the film 'TT Closer to the edge' and this was the reason for buying the album. After listening to the whole album, 'Fire' is still the best track but the rest are not far behind, making this a truly enjoyable listen for any rock/indie music fan.

Vanishing Point [1971] [DVD]
Vanishing Point [1971] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Barry Newman
Price: 4.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Before he did Film 72 for the BBC., 19 July 2013
This review is from: Vanishing Point [1971] [DVD] (DVD)
Before Barry Norman changed his name and started working for the BBC he was called Barry Newman and made this road movie which is like a car version of Easy Rider. Great driving, dubious script and basic storyline, this film is still worth buying but The Driver and Gone in 60 Seconds are more enjoyable movies. (P.S. I may have made up the Barry Norman bit).

The Driver [DVD]
The Driver [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan O'Neal
Price: 8.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Who needs dialogue!, 19 July 2013
This review is from: The Driver [DVD] (DVD)
Good film. Mean and moody. Let's the action do the talking. I first saw this film on video in the 80's and it is still a good watch.
Worth buying.

Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) [DVD]
Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) [DVD]
Dvd ~ H.B. Halicki
Price: 5.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch in 60 Minutes, 19 July 2013
The story is basic, the acting is poor. This film is a must watch. I first saw this at the cinema in the 70's, then again in the late 80's on video. 40 years later watching it on dvd it is still one of the greatest driving movies ever made. All the better for being real with no cgi effects. Made on a low budget (and you can tell) which was 10% spent in the first half hour and 90% in the remaining 60 minutes this still beats the big budget remake when it comes to the chase.
The dvd extra's are well worth a viewing too as they give a good background to the man (H.B.Halicki) and the film itself.
Worth having in every petrolhead's dvd collection.