Profile for Electricginger > Reviews

Content by Electricginger

Electricginger

Page: 1 | 2
AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 2 m / 6.5 Feet Supports Ethernet, 3D, Audio Return

5.0 out of 5 stars works just like it should, 12 April 2014
Its a HDMI cable. It works . don't pay for expensive ones they are a con. Look it up. They are digital so perfect transference of the picture

Silverline 427654 Karabiner 108 x 56 mm (Old Version)
Silverline 427654 Karabiner 108 x 56 mm (Old Version)

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite big - does the job, 13 Mar. 2014
It's annoying that I have to write lots of words here, but this functions exactly as it should. Strong sturdy,

Euphoria: A Decade of Trance Anthems
Euphoria: A Decade of Trance Anthems

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep coming back to this album, 13 Mar. 2014
All killer no filler.

Took this album skiing and every run was better when this was on. Loved it! D.

Maxell MXSP-SB3000 Soundbase TV Speaker
Maxell MXSP-SB3000 Soundbase TV Speaker
Offered by UMKY

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformed my enjoyment of my TV - with a bonus of more HDMI connections, 13 Mar. 2014
I'll be echoing a lot of other people's comments here, but I think this is an excellent product and at the £180 mark is definitely much more speaker than you would get from a more conventional sound bar at the same price point.

As with most people who buy these, my new Panasonic LED backlight TV has poor sound. Noticeably worse than the 6 year old Samsung LCD screen that it replaced which was itself pretty average. Even my wife instantly noticed how bad it was and she is pretty tolerant of technological inadequacies.

The big problem with the TV was that the sound was so flat we found ourselves having to turn the volume up high to be able to decipher anything, but that made it so loud that it was waking up our daughter upstairs!

The difference with this device is instantly clear. The size of it (and it is a big beast, the same width as my 42 inch TV and almost as deep as my TV stand) means that it comfortably can separate out the different pitches of sound. This means that you can listen to it at low levels and the sensation is that it is much louder than it really is because you can hear every element clearly.. This means that I can listen downstairs at a volume that I think is quite loud, but it isn't carrying through doors and walls so my 2 year old's sleep is undisturbed. Anyone with young children knows the value of that!!

The sound is particularly impressive with SRS turned on - really feels expansive and when you are watching TV there is a real sense of the sound coming from beyond the screen. I wouldn't go as far as to say it is a surround sound replacement, but it definitely improves the immersiveness of movies etc.

I'm not a true audiophile, so I can't tell you how this compares to a true hi-fi set-up, but my previous solution had been to plug in a good quality Altec Lansing docking station to the TV (approx cost when new £150-£200) so I had already improved the TV sound, and this soundbar is a vast improvement on that.

The other brilliant thing about this soundbase is the connectivity. Because it has HDMI pass through as well as HDMI ARC in the output channel, it means that I can feed all my current HDMI devices into the speaker (Xbox, Sky box, PC) with just one cable going between the speaker and the TV. This means that none of those devices are attached directly to the TV so I now have 2 free HDMI connections where previously I had none left. And because of the ARC capability, anything else I attached to the TV by any means, the sound will still be produced by the speaker with no extra wiring required. Oh and you can play music from your mobile/tablet via bluetooth which is great too.

Even better, the remote control has 9 simple buttons to allow you to select the input, (4HDMIs, 1x Line in, 1 x analogue audio, 1x Digital Optical Audio, 1x coaxial and 1x Bluetooth) rather than the one button and menu/cycle through system that most TVs have, so switching the inputs of both Audio and Visual is the quickest I've ever known.

All in all, I can't remember being this happy with a gadget.

The only thing that stops it being a complete no-brainer is the look/styling (which is an issue of personal taste, but I think it looks a lot smarter in real life than it does in the pictures) and the size of it (which might be an issue if your TV is wall mounted and you don't have a big TV stand.) If however you have a 40" plus TV on a stand that is as wide as your TV, then this speaker will fit perfectly with it.

Basically, if you have a new TV and haven't bought a soundbar yet and this is roughly your price range, then buy it. Don't be put off by the Maxell name - they might have been quiet for a few years, but they know what they are doing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2014 1:54 PM GMT

3FT SINGLE PINE KIDS CHILDRENS CAPTAIN CABIN STORAGE BED IN A WHITE FINISH
3FT SINGLE PINE KIDS CHILDRENS CAPTAIN CABIN STORAGE BED IN A WHITE FINISH

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to put together - looks great in daughter's room, 19 Feb. 2014
Looks exactly like the picture - the actual height of the bed from the floor is lower than I expected, my two year old has no trouble at all getting in and out, and if she were to fall out (unlikely as we have added a barrier) then it is a very short distance to go.

TurnerMAX Genuine Cowhide Leather Boxing Punch Bag Heavy FILLED with Free Chain and Bag Gloves Kickboxing punching bag (Natural, 5 Feet)
Offered by Turner Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but you will need to add more filling once it settles down, 19 Feb. 2014
It's a good solid bag and is taking a lot of beating at the moment - kicks and punches - with no sign of cracking (which is more than can be said for the gloves which are cracked badly across the knuckles.)

The bag's stuffing is basically thousands of small rags (I'm told this is the best kind) and it is very heavy and solid. however, the stuffing does settle over the firs couple of weeks, leaving it a bit baggy at the top, but it is easy to access to add more of your own.

Gold's Gym Multi Purpose Boxing Stand with Speedball - Black
Gold's Gym Multi Purpose Boxing Stand with Speedball - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars It does the job, but needs additional weights to work properly, 19 Feb. 2014
This is a fairly sturdy frame, but over time some of the bolts can vibrate loose, so make sure you keep tightening them. Also, it really needs some heavy weights to hold it down. I'm a big guy, hitting a big heavy bag and slowly the stand moves across the room. Also it bounces up and down and makes a lot of noise in the process.

If you can find a safe way to attach your heavy bag to a wall/ceiling then do that instead as using a stand like this is definitely second best

Altec Lansing BXR1320 USB Powered Stereo PC Speakers
Altec Lansing BXR1320 USB Powered Stereo PC Speakers

4.0 out of 5 stars for the price not bad, 25 Oct. 2013
Can't expect too much at this price.nice vibrant trebles, not much bass to mention though. Does the job I needed them fr which is to play videos when presenting from a laptop. Way better than the virtually nonexistent speakers in my laptop

Dragon Haven (The Rain Wild Chronicles, Book 2)
Dragon Haven (The Rain Wild Chronicles, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars robin hobb never fails to deliver., 25 Oct. 2013
Consistently great characters, involved plotlines. She manages to create real emotional engagement even when talking about fantasy creatures. My guilty pleasure.

Gelert RUC644 Jet-Set Rucksack - Coastal Blue/Black
Gelert RUC644 Jet-Set Rucksack - Coastal Blue/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, really pleased, 20 Jun. 2011
I bought two of these rucksacks unseen for a 3 week trip around Cambodia with my wife, and was a bit nervous that they would be a bit cheap and crappy, but I was really impressed with them. They are absolutely as big as you would want for a trip like that - I tried not to use the expanding facility because otherwise I'd have put too much stuff in and would have been squished.

They have features that you would expect in much more expensive bags, such as the metal frame for back support and the zip-up shoulder straps for when you are putting them into the hold on a plane. The detachable day bag looked really small, but had a deceptively large capacity - i mean not huge, but definitely useful as a day bag.

I just loved having the mobility that a rucksack gives you, but being able to open it up fully like a suitcase so that you don't have to take absolutely everything out just to find that elusive last pair of clean pants!

The shoulder and waist strapping/supports were well padded and comfy (although they took a little bit of time to wear in), the zips were heavy duty and lockable which was also a nice touch. The built-in rain cover was also a really useful feature during some sea crossings.

All in all, I can't find anything bad to say about this bag and have actually lent it out to a number of people since all of whom said how great it was. I have to say, I generally think of Gelert stuff as being a bit cheap and cheeful, but in this case I think I got a bargain.

Page: 1 | 2