Profile for bis > Reviews

Content by bis

bis (Scotland)

Claiming Victory: A Romantic Comedy (The Dartmouth Diaries Book 1)
Claiming Victory: A Romantic Comedy (The Dartmouth Diaries Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and most enjoyable, 7 Jan. 2015
Nicely written and uncomplicated, it was easy to 'get into' the characters and build a picture of them - and Dartmouth - in my head. The story was straightforward, no real surprises anywhere but it didn't matter to me in the slightest because I was enjoying it so much. The name Victory is wonderful, perfect for the daughter of a crusty old Admiral and so comfortably shortened to Tory.

My only criticism is - as with many e-books - some incorrect spelling and inconsistent repetition ie 'free rein' also being spelled 'reign'. Fortunately, this was minimal and can probably be rectified quite simply.

It was so refreshing to have someone who wasn't wafer-thin for the main character, although I wish Tory could've been an 18....!!!!

I laughed quite a lot and will definitely be reading more from Beverley Watts.

Mummy where are you?
Mummy where are you?

1.0 out of 5 stars Fiction rather than fact., 3 Nov. 2014
I chose this book because I thought it was a true story, but I quickly doubted that it was because I could find no references to any of it on the internet. There is a Facebook page on which the author says that it is fiction, albeit based on real life events.

I found the writing style annoying, the spelling & grammar poor & the constant repetition maddening. Ironic, considering the main character's claim to be so well-educated that her time spent in jail was blighted by hate from less-educated people.

I skipped large chunks of the book (I actually thought my Kindle was malfunctioning & skipping back) due to the repetitive elements in an attempt to get to an interesting bit. But there wasn't one. There wasn't even a proper ending.

An important & sensitive subject such as this deserves better.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2015 11:04 AM GMT

Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's Book 1)
Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant! You HAVE to read this!!, 14 Aug. 2013
Please, please read this book. Then recommend it to your friends. This lady is going to be a hugely successful author & I can't wait for her next book.

I was truly surprised & very impressed with the quality of her writing, so far ahead of the normal 'free' Kindle books on offer.

I truly can't wait for her next book.

BAD BITCH: A mother's revenge (Nina Kelly book 1)(BOOK 8 AVAILABLE NOW)
BAD BITCH: A mother's revenge (Nina Kelly book 1)(BOOK 8 AVAILABLE NOW)

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't get it, 15 Aug. 2012
50 or so pages is not so much a book, more of a pamphlet. I don't understand why anyone would set out to write a part-book which, read in isolation, has no ending & gives the reader the impression that they have been suckered into buying a book chapter by chapter. I struggled with the poor writing style, & the excessive use of profane language but the lack of punctuation & abundance of spelling mistakes spoilt what might have been a finishable book. Incidentally, had I been in a book store, I would never have looked twice at this book due to the picture which makes it look like the diary of a prostitute. Clearly, there are times when it IS possible to judge a book by the cover.

The Millionaire And The Librarian (The Pleasure Of His Punishment)
The Millionaire And The Librarian (The Pleasure Of His Punishment)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really a book, 15 Aug. 2012
Not really a book, more a brief story. A 20 minute jotting down of some personal fantasy with no possible link to reality. I can't recall if I paid much for this download, but if it was more than .25p I'd be quite annoyed.

The Impossible Takes a Little Longer
The Impossible Takes a Little Longer
by Eric Edis

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible journey, 17 Sept. 2009
Eric's account of his journey is inspiring and fascinating. The computer age has rendered the pioneering spirit of today's young people more or less obsolete. When Eric made his epic journey in the late '50's, he was travelling through hostile areas which even the military avoided. No-one had made this overland journey before, and everyone said it was impossible. Without Eric's tenacity and absolute refusal to accept 'no' as an answer from border officials, this journey would have been over very quickly.

I wish the photos were a little clearer, but the book is well-written so the mind creates its own images.

I am delighted to have read this book as it epitomises the kind of character which made Britain what it was before the arrival of the Nanny State.