Profile for Frances R. Wolfe > Reviews

Content by Frances R. Wolfe

Frances R. Wolfe (United Kingdom)

Stand and Deliver!: And other Brilliant Ways to Give Birth
Stand and Deliver!: And other Brilliant Ways to Give Birth
by Emma Mahony
Price: 7.68

4.0 out of 5 stars WHOA, a surprising read., 15 May 2009
NOTE: I am an American who had a very traumatic 24 hour labor resulting in a c-section and subsequent medical complications that went on for MONTHS after the birth of my first child in the US. I am now residing in the UK, and this book had special insight for me because of the comparisons it gives on better child-birth in the UK as well as the many non-medical techniques for pain relief during birth (without being too new-age-hippy-like).

However, this book majorly surprised me with a description of-all-things, lesbian fantasies! I'll leave it to you to read, but the end idea was that you need to ACCEPT your body and BE SEXY in order to have a baby! HA! I thought. Well, I ended up having the best sex of my life with my husband within the next couple of days. And now I'm thinking that there is a point to all that talk of sex. (In another book I'm reading now, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, they suggest for the partners to KISS during a contraction! My husband is leery of me biting his tongue off, but I'm willing to give it a try for its ability to lossen the cervix... and create a special bond for us)

OK, on to the other useful bits in this book... being new to this country, I got a good review of all the non-medical ways to cope with pain during labor. Ideas such as gas & air, aromatherapy, TENS and essential oils. I literally was doodling away in my book noting places where I wanted to ask my OB questions. The book then goes on to have different birth stories that highlight ways to labor and birth your baby (hence the title). I have to admit I began scanning towards the end of the book, which is why I give it a 4-star review, it just couldn't hold my attention any longer. But that also is due in part to the extensive chapters on how to choose an OB or midwife, and being in the military and on private healthcare, I don't really get a choice (although I am admittedly set up with one of the most experienced OBs in Oxford).

I am trying for my VBAC in 4 months. I will be reviewing the pain relief techniques again as I get closer so that I can know what to ask my midwife.

A good book overall, I would recommend it to a friend.

The VBAC Companion: The Expectant Mother's Guide to Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (Non)
by Diana Korte
Price: 10.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Out of print book, with timeless lessons, 15 May 2009
This book was out-of-print when I bought it, probably because they haven't updated any of the statistics surrounding VBACs in order to have it reprinted. So every statistic must be taken with a grain of salt, plus what matters in the end is the VBAC rate in your hospital (just ask). What is useful are the stories and the motto that "a VBAC labor is just like any other labor." Many chapters are devoted to how to find a caregiver since that's what the book suggests is the most important factor in a successful VBAC. I had no such use for that information since I'm military dependent and do not have many options like I would with an HMO. However I did tab one page on positions to try to avoid a posterior baby. Overall, its a decent read for a VBAC-hopeful, just don't pay a ton for it... some of the sights want too much money for this out of print book.

NOTE: I haven't yet tested any of the birth suggestions, so I can't comment on those. I'm trying for my VBAC in about 4 months!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Shiny Soft Hair - Helps you go days between washing your hair, 7 April 2008
This brush is expensive! Should you buy it? Here are the pros and cons as I see it...

PROS
-Great massage for scalp, I like to brush my hair several times a day now.
-Distributes oils on scalp to hair length, this makes your hair length softer & shinier and also allows you to skip a hair washing since your roots aren't as oily.
-Comes with a separate brush so you can get all the hairs off your brush (never heard of that before, but it helps keep the brush in good shape)
-Quality product - I think I'll have it for some time.
-Nylon & Bristle version is great for my long, wavy hair

CONS
-Expensive upfront cost
-Maintenance of the brush

OTHER TIDBITS...
When I brush, I start with my head upside down and brush from the nape of the neck towards my forehead. This feels great because your hair doesn't usually go that direction. I do as many brush strokes as needed to detangle my hair and as many as I have time for because it just feels so darn good. Then I flip my hair back - HA HA HA - this is funny because now I have one heck of a poufy head - even my son laughs when I do it! Then I start to brush from my forehead back and the poufiness settles down. I do that as long as I can ('cause like I said before, it just feels so darn good!). When I'm done I usually pull my hair back in a scrunchie so that my hair relaxes a little. I don't typically use any styling products, but now I notice when I do, they seem to work even better!

I hope you like it. I sure to like mine :)