Profile for Miljenko Williams > Reviews

Content by Miljenko Williams

Miljenko Williams (Chester, United Kingdom)

Harry's Last Stand: How the world my generation built is falling down, and what we can do to save it

5.0 out of 5 stars Tears, tenderness and truth, 26 May 2015
Can't say more than so many have already said. Read, weep and act ... this is all our last stand.

Duronic 20m Professional Gold Headed Network Cable - Black - High Speed Premium Quality Cat6a / Patch / Ethernet / Modem / Router / LAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent delivery service - quality product, 24 Dec. 2012
I bought this cable for improving video-conferencing performance and for taking full advantage of the fibre broadband connection I've had recently installed. Works well in both cases. Much faster than wi-fi - well worth the price.

Speedlink Snappy Wireless Bluetooth Mouse - Pearl White
Speedlink Snappy Wireless Bluetooth Mouse - Pearl White

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well with Blackberry Playbook once connected - but not always easy to connect, 24 Dec. 2012
I bought this to use with my Blackberry Playbook, as an external mouse alongside an external keyboard. Once connected, it adds the features of a standard mouse to a touch tablet. And the integration is very good. The only slight problem is that it's sometimes difficult to get connected in the first place, whilst the keyboard I use connects up automatically every time. Not sure what the problem is due to - maybe the Playbook isn't happy with two devices at the same time?

BlackBerry PlayBook Faux Leather Convertible Case
BlackBerry PlayBook Faux Leather Convertible Case
Offered by holyApples

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely design concept - great execution, 24 Dec. 2012
This case is well-made and allows you to use the Blackberry Playbook at three angles. It also allows usage of both cameras, and - at a pinch - the volume controls and so forth. The only slight disadvantage is that in order to charge it, you need to lay the Playbook flat - but that's because the Playbook's design has the charger socket at the bottom. Not a fault of the case.

All in all, a brilliant case with clever ideas.

Perixx PERIBOARD-804II UK, Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard - Black - 299x149x19mm Portable Size - Compatible with iPhone - iPad - iPad Mini - Nexus - Galaxy Tab - S3 - Note - UK Layout (Big Enter)
Offered by Perixx UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Works brilliantly with Blackberry Playbook - but UK-specific characters not yet, 24 Dec. 2012
This keyboard connects up automatically first time on every occasion with my Blackberry Playbook. I should've got the US version of it, as Playbook doesn't seem to understand the UK characters. But that's a Playbook problem, not the keyboard. Hopefully, one day Playbook updates will resolve this problem.

Well-made, light and easy to use. First rate Bluetooth keyboard.

HP Officejet Plus 6500A e-All-in-One Web Enabled Printer (Print, Scan, Copy, Fax, Wireless, e-Print)

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely printer, but troubleshooting requires a lot of reading between the lines, 25 Jun. 2011
Just had this one day - lots of features, does make funny noises between pages. The little screen it has onboard to control the different features is a pleasure to use - the ePrintCenter online is quite good too. However, if you do have issues with the wireless side of things - as I have had - you'll need to do quite a bit of research to get it sorted. Three things you might need to deal with: in reverse order, I discovered it's good to use WPS on your router if you have it (generally involves pressing a button when asked to by the printer's own wireless set-up wizard); setting up the printer from your PC as a local printer (yes, local) and using the hostname of the printer instead of the IP address when requested (all this you can find out by pressing a button on the printer); and sorting out the configuration of your firewall (practically all of them appear to need sorting, which on a private home network is really weird). All in all, pretty decent specifications for the price. Just missing all the information you may need in one easy-to-find place. Probably because it's a relatively new machine.

Update 26/06/2011: if having any kind of network issues on a Windows wireless network, you might want to reinstall the printer using a generic HP Install Network Printer Wizard (INPW) download. Set a static IP on your printer first, and then modify options on INPW to make the printer shareable. After a late night of further frustration, INPW looks like it's set up our Windows network as it needed to be, when the default software with the printer does nothing of the sort. Oh, and the funny noises between pages have stopped. It prints instantly from three computers. Too many variables to know exactly what's gone right - but INPW does seem much better than the printer's own software.

TP-LINK TL-MR3220 150Mbps 3G/4G Wireless N CABLE Router
TP-LINK TL-MR3220 150Mbps 3G/4G Wireless N CABLE Router
Offered by Tick Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, cheerful and fast, 1 April 2011
I bought this router to set up an ADSL-type wireless connection using 3G in Spain. I needed an unlocked dongle to go with it and a SIM card to try it out before going over there. Along with this router, which seemed cheap, cheerful and fast, at least from its specifications, I bought an apparently untested dongle - the LM003 3G USB HSUPA Unlocked Modem - and a pre-paid 3 Original Broadband Ready to Go 3GB Preloaded Data Sim.

I first installed the dongle directly on my PC, which seemed a pretty smooth process - and very soon was browsing at speeds almost indistinguishable from my ADSL connection. In fact, some process of optimisation seemed to be taking place - things definitely got faster the longer I was connected.

I then connected up the dongle directly to the router, and the router to the PC via an ethernet cable (included with the kit): this allowed me to configure the router to connect to the Internet using Three's setup details. Once I managed to work out how to do this, there were no problems with the router, the dongle in question or, indeed, in my area, with Three's reception. I didn't even have to update firmware. This dongle works perfectly with this router - or at least for me it does.

I am very pleased I decided to combine this router with the LM dongle. Both are sturdy and well-made - and I saved about 40 GBP on what the equivalent Zoom setup would have cost me. All I have left to do now is also to connect the router up to my ADSL connection, and I'll have a back-up Internet whenever one or other goes down. Yep. This router can do that too. Can't wait to try it out. In fact, I may need to leave it here - and buy another one for Spain.

Oh, and by the way, I wrote, edited and posted this review using all the above - with Skype, TweetDeck, Gmail and a whole host of other things running in the background!