Profile for happybooks > Reviews

VW GOLF MK7 MOULDED RUBBER BOOT MAT LINER 2013+ VOLKSWAGEN HATCHBACK
VW GOLF MK7 MOULDED RUBBER BOOT MAT LINER 2013+ VOLKSWAGEN HATCHBACK
Offered by prestigecarmats
Price: 24.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit, giving full protection to the full boot ..., 23 July 2014
Perfect fit, giving full protection to the full boot floor. Good quality rubber matting with the added bonus of the Golf logo. Reduces the possibility of articles placed in the boot from sliding about.

A Tale Etched in Blood and Hard Black Pencil
A Tale Etched in Blood and Hard Black Pencil
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost fell off my chair laughing, 7 Sep 2013
I have had this book for ages and I almost discarded it in a clear out but decided I should read it first. What a joy would have been lost if it had gone to the charity shop unread. I loved the way the book alternated between school and the present day. It made me wonder how some of my classmates may have turned out - hopefully a little differently from some of those in the story. I would add the caveat that some of the language is a bit choice but it is entirely appropriate for the story. The description of the first day at primary school is just wonderful. I spent many years in the company of five year olds and this rang so many glorious bells. The present day story grabbed the imagination immediately. The relationship the characters had as children impacted on how they reacted with one another as adults. A great story, put in your own "bleeps" if you must, but do read the book.

Life, Death and Vanilla Slices
Life, Death and Vanilla Slices
by Jenny Eclair
Price: 9.60

4.0 out of 5 stars A most enjoyable read., 4 July 2013
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were very well drawn and, what seems to me, very true to life. Empathy was established from the first few pages, once the relationship between the characters was made clear. I am sure the description of family life with recalcitrant teenagers must be familiar to quite a few. I thought the way the mother saw her life in a series of chapters whilst in a coma was a most interesting premise. This is a book about relationships within a family written with great warmth. I have only given it four stars because I did not like the ending, it did not fit with such a well written book and belonged in what is described as "chiclit" a few examples of which I have inadvertently had the misfortune to have purchased. Fortunately this is my only caveat and I would happily recommend this book as a purchase.

Cold in the Earth
Cold in the Earth
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Not earth shattering., 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: Cold in the Earth (Kindle Edition)
This book was ok which is not really a great recommendation. I also was brought up in the area in which the book is set but I did not get a real feeling of the place in which I spent twenty years of my life. The description of the devastation which foot and mouth brought was well written. I thought how it affected Bill was particularly touching although the circumstances of his recovery were a bit cliched. As with the setting I felt that the characters were a bit "thin", I finished the book feeling that I did not really know them. The storyline is just about credible. All in all ok, but it would have to be a Kindle bargain before I even considered another of this author's books.

The Back Road
The Back Road
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Dross., 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Back Road (Kindle Edition)
I really must pay more attention to the one star reviews and then 1.99 of hard earned cash would not have gone west. This really was one of the most cliched books I have had the misfortune to have read. The characters were cliches and the storyline was cliched. I almost gave up the will to live ploughing through this nonsense. Don't waste your money, listen to the one star reviews.

Alex (Verhoeven Trilogy 1)
Alex (Verhoeven Trilogy 1)
Price: 3.08

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Spiral you will really enjoy this book., 30 May 2013
When Spiral was on television it was the highlight of my week and Pierre Le Maitre has given me another episode of French police and their crime solving. The book has been extremely well translated, the characters are so well described they are almost visible. There is a delightful mix of character and each one is totally believable. The storyline is intensely exciting and keeps having unexpected twists. The ending is not at all what you would expect but so very satisfying. This is a book so full of twists and turns it is the literary version of a corkscrew. Not a Kindle deal of the day but very much worth the money

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
by Rachel Joyce
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete joy., 23 May 2013
I have just finished this book and feel I must instantly implore everyone who is thinking of buying it to do so without delay. It is one of the most heartwarming books I have read in a long time. I acknowledge that the surface facts are improbable as some mean spirited reviewers have stated, but these are not what the book is about. It is a tale of a couple's lives and how what happens throughout a life impacts on us, how we feel about ourselves and how we treat others. The story is beautifully written with characters you feel you know and most certainly care about deeply. I keep trying to read Pilgrim's Progress but I think I shall just content myself with having read this pilgrim's progress. This is a book I will recommend to friends and I certainly commend it to readers of this review.

Dead Men and Broken Hearts: A Lennox Thriller
Dead Men and Broken Hearts: A Lennox Thriller
Price: 2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Eleven out of ten!, 1 May 2013
It really grates when people use terminology like this using impossible numbers but I have to make an exception in the case of Craig Russell' s latest Lennox book and award it this mark. Each book seems to be better than the previous one and I thought his first one was excellent. His writing is a joy to read with delightful turns of phrase which at times are so amusing. It was inspired taking Twinkletoes on as an employee and his escapades and loyalty to Lennox are heartwarming. The story is full of twists and turns which keep you on the edge of your seat and the ending was, for me, completely unexpected, also be prepared to shed a tear. All in all a wonderful read. I see it has come down a little in price for the Kindle version so don't delay purchase now!

The French House
The French House
Price: 0.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm!, 7 April 2013
This review is from: The French House (Kindle Edition)
I was beguiled into buying this as the Kindle deal of the day - not my best purchase. I did my usual and thought "That looks a nice cover", and indeed it is a nice cover but I am afraid that is where the joy of the book ends. It is probably my own fault for not reading a few of the reviews to find out what the book was about, but I assume this is what is termed "chiclit" with more emphasis on the chic and less on the lit. In my opinion the whole story is an improbable bit of fluff. The characters have no substance, there are allusions made to problems in the past which affect what is happening now but really, all in all I didn't particularly care. The writing is a competent final year of primary school but nothing more complex. I have finished the book but have now deleted it from both my Kindle and iPad and will not be purchasing anything else from this author. Not my cup of tea - as you will have guessed.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2013 11:38 AM BST

The Book of Souls (Inspector Mclean Mystery 2)
The Book of Souls (Inspector Mclean Mystery 2)
Price: 3.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely five stars, 3 Mar 2013
While I was not quite sure of my giving James Oswald's first Inspector McLean book five stars I am more than happy to award this one it's five stars. I found the story gripping from the first page to the last. The characterisation was just as good as in the first book. The story is well written and there was a little humour sneaked in. I did enjoy the allusions to the differences between Glasgow and Edinburgh. These were two most enjoyable books which I would thoroughly recommend to anyone who likes a pacy well written read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3