Profile for C. A. Moore > Reviews

Content by C. A. Moore

C. A. Moore "carolemoore" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Far from the Madding Crowd
Far from the Madding Crowd
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars The portrayals of Bathsheba and Gabriel Oak were excellent. Not so sure about Martin Sheen as Farmer ..., 2 Oct. 2015
Well executed film. The portrayals of Bathsheba and Gabriel Oak were excellent. Not so sure about Martin Sheen as Farmer Boldwood, though, even though he is a very good actor. And I'm afraid Tom Sturridge as Sgt Troy just didn't do it for me - far too effete (Terence Stamp set an almost impossibly high standard in the 60s film version). Although this is a film I enjoyed and will watch again, I think I prefer the 60s version.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2015 5:23 PM BST

Night Blue Horizon
Night Blue Horizon

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Kevin Kendle's music, 29 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Night Blue Horizon (MP3 Download)
Love Kevin Kendle's music, good for meditating and relaxing to. Night Blue Horizon with its natural sounds is my particular favourite and I can listen to it over and over again.

Noah [DVD]
Noah [DVD]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe
Offered by Bee-Entertained

2.0 out of 5 stars A turgid load of nonsense!, 13 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Noah [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this film and at first was prepared to be open-minded about the treatment of the familiar Bible story. Tubal-cain, who is only mentioned in one short verse in the Bible, is given prominence as the villain of the piece, but we must make allowances for artistic licence, I suppose.

However, the film is so dull and dreary that by the end I was beginning to wish that the Almighty had seen fit to drown Noah and his brood as well. The Bible ends on a note of hope, but the film did not stress this enough, merely portraying Noah as the first, albeit extreme, eco-warrior, plodding half-heartedly into a new future with his extended family.

And for goodness' sake, will film makers stop making pregnant women cup their bellies protectively in a Madonna-type way, especially when they are in the first stages of pregnancy? It is extremely irritating.

The Knot [DVD]
The Knot [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew McNulty
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother!, 9 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Knot [DVD] (DVD)
I wasn't anticipating an Oscar winning film, but did expect a lightly entertaining movie with some laughs. Unfortunately not. This is a hackneyed, sad attempt at comedy. It seemed the makers had a list of cliches to tick off in an attempt to get a few laughs, and failed miserably. The characters were uncharismatic and I ended up hating them and wishing a last-minute disaster on them - to see them killed by Godzilla or washed away by a tsunami might have brought some entertainment to the film. Thank goodness I watched this on my Kindle and could fast-forward past the more boring bits in an attempt to find something worth watching.

Kiss and Spell
Kiss and Spell

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Done!, 28 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Kiss and Spell (Kindle Edition)
I started to read this because Paula has been an on-line friend of mine for several years. However, I am being completely unbiased when I say that this was an entertaining and enjoyable read. For someone who (according to her biography) writes only as a hobby, she has done better than some 'professional' authors I'd better not name!

A Duke in Shining Armor (The Regency Heroes Book 1)
A Duke in Shining Armor (The Regency Heroes Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear!, 29 April 2012
When I read the other reviews I breathed a sigh of relief, because I had imagined that I was being over-critical of the grammar, spelling errors and ignorance of vocabulary. I was not expecting something of the calibre of Georgette Heyer, but I was still sadly disappointed.

And this is the first of a series! I do hope that the author quickly buys herself a dictionary, an English grammar and learns a little about punctuation. She ought also to do a little background research before writing another book - a Regency English gentleman called Clint, for goodness' sake, and one who struts around saying things like 'Okay'!

And while I'm criticising, the book cover portrays two people in anything but Regency dress.

Sorry, Macey, your hero is as far removed from a Regency aristocrat as Jabba the Hutt, and about as attractive. I'm afraid I won't be reading any more of this series.

From This Day ON
From This Day ON

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant, uncomplicated read., 28 Nov. 2011
This review is from: From This Day ON (Kindle Edition)
I don't normally enjoy 'Mills and Boon' style romances these days, but sometimes read them when in need of something easy on the brain.

This is a nice little story in a common format: girl meets boy, boy is a woman-hater because of a past affair, boy and girl gradually grow to respect, then love, each other.

You know what is going to happen at the end, but the author makes the journey there pleasant. And at least there were no steamy sex scenes, which I find extremely tedious and laughable in novels of this genre!

I'm giving it 5 stars because, of its kind, it is well-written and a pleasant read.

Milking the Rhino: Dangerously Funny Lists
Milking the Rhino: Dangerously Funny Lists

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerously Unfunny!, 18 Oct. 2011
They say never look a gift horse in the mouth, but there's an exception to every rule and I think this is it. Not funny at all; the more I read, the more irritated I became. Sorry, Mr Rush - nul points for your puerile sense of 'humour'!

Ross Poldark: A Novel of Cornwall 1783 - 1787
Ross Poldark: A Novel of Cornwall 1783 - 1787
by Winston Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best!, 30 Mar. 2011
The Poldark series is, quite simply, the best historical saga there is! Full of diverse characters, the reader will find intrigue, action, tragedy, romance and comedy within these books. The writing is masterful and cannot be bettered. The characters are well-drawn and unforgettable. When it comes to the Perfect Fictional Hero, I'm afraid even Mr Darcy comes a rather poor second behind Ross Poldark in my opinion!

The first book, Ross Poldark, introduces the main characters and sets the scene for events in the following books. Unfortunately, some extracts from the first edition of this book have been cut from subsequent editions, but this does not necessarily spoil the enjoyment.

I personally am in a constant state of reading one of the Poldark series. Once I have finished the series, I start from the beginning again, like the painting of the Forth Bridge.

I have one request to make: PLEASE, OH PLEASE make available e-book versions of all 12 Poldark novels, then I and other Poldark fans can easily take the whole lot on holiday!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2012 10:17 AM GMT

South Riding [DVD] [2011]
South Riding [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Anna Maxwell Martin

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing!, 16 Mar. 2011
This review is from: South Riding [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I eagerly awaited this latest version of one of my favourite books, only to be sadly disappointed. The book itself covers the lives of a vast array of characters, most of whom had been omitted from this production. While I quite liked Anna Maxwell Martin's portrayal of Sarah Burton, I found the other characters mere cardboard cut-outs. Robert Carne was an especial disappointment. And liberties were taken with the plot - Joe Astell declaring his love for Sarah? This was never even hinted at in the book!

When I saw that Andrew Davies was the writer, I was hoping for a wonderful, rich new adaptation of the book, a more-or-less faithful rendition with new and interesting takes on the storyline (as with Pride and Prejudice), but I'm afraid this was very much a damp squib.

Three hour-long episodes are just not long enough for a complex story such as South Riding. The 70s version with Dorothy Tutin and Nigel Davenport was much, much better.

Page: 1 | 2