Profile for Gary Smithies > Reviews

Gary Smithies

GeIL Evo 4GB (2 x 2048MB) 2133MHz PC3 17000 DDR3 Memory Module
GeIL Evo 4GB (2 x 2048MB) 2133MHz PC3 17000 DDR3 Memory Module

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quailty low cost memory, 15 April 2013
For £30 you can't go wrong with this memory. I have it in a system with a AMD A10 5800 which likes fast memory as it gives more bandwidth for the integrated GPU. Setup was simple, I told the motherboard I was using memory with an XMP profile and away it went. System has been stable since installation. Overall I'm happy.

Cooler Master Elite 120 Advance - Mini-ITX Small Form Factor Computer Case, supports standard ATX PSU - Black, USB 3.0
Offered by UKStocked

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent HTPC case, 15 April 2013
I bought this case in order to build a media centre PC and am very pleased with the result. The finish of the case is better than I expected, with no sharp edges either inside or out.

There is space inside for a full sized ATX power supply, but overclockers out there should be aware that the positioning of the cage means that it overhangs the motherboard, so depending on where the CPU socket is located there is only about an inch of clearance between the top of the CPU cooler and the bottom of the power supply cage. Choose your aftermarket cooler with care!

Front panel connections are good for a case of this price with one USB3 and three USB2 ports, as well as the usual microphone and headphone sockets. There is also a 5.25" bay with a lockable door if you are not intending to use it.

Two case fans are included, a 120mm at the front and a smaller 60mm (ish) on the side. Both are reasonably quiet especially when turned down with motherboard software or an app like speedfan. There is space to mount another 120mm fan inside behind the HDD bays which blows over the motherboard tray, and cooler master kindly include some quick fitting plugs that do away with the need for screws and tools.

For a small case building this PC was quick and easy, to the point that I took the opportunity to teach the missus and had her put it together. Having said that her little fingers probably made it a little easier!

It has three 3.5" drive bays with quick release brackets, and an adapter that can sacrifice one of them for a pair of 2.5" SSD's or laptop drives. As I am not using the 5.25" bay I have added an additional 3.5" drive by suspending it in the bay with some of the missus's adjustable rubber bra straps. This also has the benefit of isolating vibrations and noise from the drive making it quieter. Thick rubber bands can also be used but I didn't have any to hand, hence the bra straps!

There is room for a full sized twin slot graphics card, although as I don't have a modular PSU most of this has been taken up with excess cabling in order to get good airflow over the motherboard.

System build:AMD A10-5800 PSU with built in HD7660D graphics, 4GB PC2133 Ram, 500W OCZ extreme PSU, 3 3.5" HDD's & 1 2.5" SSD. Runs windows 8 with Mediaportal front end.

TL;DR A good quality low cost case with plenty of room for HDD's and full sized twin slot graphics card.

Komputerbay 32GB MicroSD SDHC Microsdhc Class 6 with Micro SD Adapter and High Speed USB Reader
Offered by KOMPBAY

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 13 May 2012
Bought this to expand the storage in my BlackBerry bold 9900, and it works flawlessly. Whist its not the fastest card out there for 20 quid you can't go wrong. The card reader I received was one of the larger full SD ones with a cap on each end and adapters to take the micros card, a pleasant surprise as I was expecting a smaller version which would have been microSD only.

Synology DS111 DiskStation (Diskless) 1 Bay Desktop NAS Server
Synology DS111 DiskStation (Diskless) 1 Bay Desktop NAS Server
Offered by ADMI Limited UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome home NAS, 13 May 2012
This must be the most used piece of electronic equipment in my house, and that's saying something as I'm quite the geek. It's main function for me is as a dnla server with a wired connection to a ps3 via a gigabit wireless router, however I've used most of its other functions too. It serves as my itunes server, runs sabnzb+ to download from usenet without my pc being on, can act as a security station with the addition of an ip camera. The processing power is good but not spectacular, for example when running sabnzb+ the max download speed when checking and extracting archives is around half the capacity of my broadband connection, about 3 mb/s but as it does this without the need for my pc to be on I can leave it overnight and let it chug away, which means it keeps my isp happy too as it sucks bandwidth at off peak times.

Configuring all the options can be quite daunting at first, but there are plenty of sites out there with guides and the synology forums are quite helpful too. Synology are also quite good at providing software updates which normally sort bugs and / or add additional features.

The only negative, and it's a small one, is that I should have bought the two bay version. I have a 2tb disk in there and it's getting full! With it only being a single drive unit there is obviously no facility to add another disk, so it gets quite pricey to increase capacity.

Braun Series 7 790cc-4 Electric Shaver with Cleaning Centre
Braun Series 7 790cc-4 Electric Shaver with Cleaning Centre

5.0 out of 5 stars Best shaver I've owned, 13 May 2012
I've had this shaver around six months after getting it in the black Friday sale. In the past I've had all the different styles of electric shavers, however this one shaves closer and misses less than any I've owned before. There is one section under my chin where the hairs must grow at a funny angle, so usually electric shavers struggle to cut these hairs. No problem with this one,it still takes a couple of extra passes but in the end it manages to get them and saves me having to go over this section with a blade razor like I used to have to.

The charge and clean pod is a nice addition, however I've found running the shaver under the tap is just as effective day to day with a full clean only needed once a week. A tip to make those cartridges last a little longer, in between cleans take it out and re seal the lid. It seems when the cartridge is in the cleaning pod it is quite susceptible to evaporation, so taking it out and sealing it makes it last much longer and gives more cleans per cartridge.

Hozelock Greenhouse Watering Kit
Hozelock Greenhouse Watering Kit
Offered by Red House Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Fully Automated watering system via water butt, 12 Jun 2011
Recently bought one of these and have combined it with a hozelock water butt pump to give a fully automated watering solution. Dropped the pump in my water butt (on top of a couple of bricks so the filter doesn't block) and wired it up through an existing vent for for the dryer in the kitchen and plugged it into the mains via a digital timer and RCD. The pressure regulator included is not needed (as per the instructions) as the pump is only rated as 1.1 bar, so the Aquapod pipes are attached directly to the pump outlet. Have set the timer to come on for two minutes in the morning and five minutes at night, and some quick calculations tell me when the water butt is full it should last around three weeks. For the first time in years I've been wishing for rain to see how fast it fills up!

Overall I'm really happy with how it performs, and am planning on adding another Aquapod or two via T-pieces to give 10 further pots some love.

Panasonic TX-P42G20B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 600Hz Neo Plasma TV with Freeview HD and Freesat HD (discontinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent set spoilt by technical issues, 20 Dec 2010
Received the TV a week or so ago and it has already developed the annoying "buzz" from around the screen area. A real shame as this has completely spoilt what was shaping up to being an excellent TV. Some research on the internet seems to give the opinion that the "buzz" is a common problem with this set. Its not too bad on dark scenes but anything with a bit of brightness sets it off and then there's no stopping it, its simply unwatchable.

Have sent it back and Amazon were as super efficient as normal. The TV was collected on Friday and the refund credited Sunday, allowing me to order a Sony KDL46EX503U in time before the VAT back promotion ends.

So, a little about the picture BEFORE it went wrong:

A virgin V+ box fed the TV SD and HD feeds via HDMI, and a PS3 was there to provide Bluray duties. On blueray the picture was out of this world. The missus said whe thought it was like looking out of the window, and it was almost 3D like in Quality. SD feeds were upscaled nicely, although this depends more on the source material than anything else.

Sound wise its adequate, although I didn't really expect much either. One thing to note is that although it has an optical output, I couldn't get it to pass through a DD 5.1 feed from a HDMI source to a separate amp. Most modern amps have multiple HDMI inputs nowadays, but if you are like me and are stuck with a single optical only this can be a pain as it involves cable swapping every time I switch between the PS3 and Virgin box.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2011 5:42 PM BST