Profile for S. Arnold > Reviews

Content by S. Arnold

S. Arnold (Bournemouth, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
VonHaus Single Arm LCD LED Monitor Desk Mount Bracket for 13"-27" Screens with ±45° Tilt, 360° Rotation & 180° Pull Out Swivel Arm - Max VESA 100x100 - Free 2 Year Warranty
Offered by DOMU UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Value For Money, 23 Jun. 2016
This is a heavily and solidly made product. Full marks for quality of construction and finish. The only down side are the poor assembly instructions, but it is quite easy to assemble anyway. Highly recommended.

LG 55EG910V 55 inch 1080p Full HD OLED Curved Smart TV WebOS (2015 Model) - Silver
Offered by Tvsandmore
Price: £1,235.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Picture Quality, 6 Feb. 2016
Please see my review on this LG 55EG910V 55" OLED TV here : LG 55EG910V 55 -inch LCD 1080 pixels 100 Hz 3D OLED TV

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Picture Quality, 6 Feb. 2016

Yamaha NS-SW300 Subwoofer 1.0 Black
Yamaha NS-SW300 Subwoofer 1.0 Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but is it up to its specifications?, 19 Jan. 2016

This is the first subwoofer I have bought, so naturally I have nothing else to compare it with in my home environment. Also, owing to domestic considerations there was only one place in our sitting room where it could be accommodated, although as it happens it's not a bad place at all. It's positioned on the right hand wall, not far from the main speakers, which are a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BR5 floorstanders. For their size these speakers go quite low, so I wasn't sure how much a subwoofer would add. My shortlist of subs comprised the Wharfedale SW150, Q Acoustics 2070i and the Yamaha NS SW300. I chose the Yamaha partly on reviews (although right now there are few reviews to go by), partly on its specifications and finally on price.
I unpacked the Yamaha sub, which is remarkably heavy for its size and looks very well made. Then I positioned it facing across the room at an angle as recommended, and connected it to the output of my stereo preamp.
Using sine wave tones at frequencies from 20Hz to 100Hz, I set about adjusting the cut off frequency, level and phase in order to acoustically integrate the sub with the main speakers. After much testing I finally set the cut off frequency to 60Hz, the level to halfway and the phase to normal. This calibration was of course done using my own mark one eardrums! During this process I moved around the room to get a more holistic idea of the sound. I left the B.A.S.S. control in the 'Music' position as I don't want to have to keep reaching round the back to slide the switch across, and I was looking for a flat response which I'm not sure is the case in the 'Movie' position. I left the Auto Standby in the off position.
Yamaha in their specifications claim a frequency response down to 20Hz and provide a response chart showing it to be 10dB down at this frequency, compared with its output at 30Hz and above, up to its cut off frequency. The technical specifications are quite impressive.
My own findings, based purely on my listening tests, are that its output holds well down to 28Hz, but drops off rapidly below that. I could barely hear anything at 25Hz, and nothing at all at 20Hz. Although there is no audible output at these very low frequencies, there is a noticeable draught if you place your hand close to the port on the side, so something is happening.
Then I played music from CDs and some movie trailers on YouTube. I did this with the sub switched on and switched off. I even played the sub on its own as I have separate power amplifiers. I must say that this sub adds extra weight to the bass, and that menacing excitement to movies. However, I am slightly disappointed that it doesn't go down to the claimed 20Hz. This could of course be due to my listening room, which is 13 by 18 feet, the position of the sub, or even my hearing. With this in mind I would be interested to read other people's findings. For its price though, this Yamaha sub seems good value for money.

Finally, the supply service from Peter Tyson Online was second to none.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2016 8:58 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Picture Quality, 16 Dec. 2015
Our previous television was a 42” plasma bought in 2009, it still gives a good picture, and is better than most current LCD televisions. Only the OLED technology seems to offer equal or better picture quality against the now obsolete plasma technology.

Having settled on the OLED technology, the next decision was HD or 4K? There are a number of tables which relate the ability of the human eye, with perfect vision, to distinguish HD resolution against 4K for given screen sizes and viewing distances. For a 55” screen this distance is about 7 feet, in theory at least, and as our viewing distance is about double that there should be no determinable difference between viewing HD or 4K.

Fortunately, I was able to put a 55” 4K OLED side by side with a 55” HD OLED television, running the same test videos and viewing the same photos. The videos were all originally in 4K but for the HD set I used my video editor to re-encode them. This would be to the disadvantage of the HD set as the file had to pass through an additional stage of processing. However, theory was easily seen in practice, as much to the surprise of the salesman, neither of us could tell the difference at all when we stood more than about 6 feet away.

Having lived with this television now for a couple of weeks I firstly found that the default picture settings are not the best for home viewing. I do not have access to professional calibration equipment, but after much trial and testing I settled on the following settings, in the Standard Picture Mode:

OLED Light: 60 (I have since increased this value to 70)
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 65 (I have since reduced this value to 60, and then again to 55)
Sharpness: 10
Colour: 60 (I have since reduced this value, which is colour saturation, to 55)
Tint: 0
Picture Options, TrueMotion: Smooth (I have since turned TrueMotion off, as it causes odd effects known as 'the soap opera effect')

All other settings were left at their default values. The sharpness in particular was originally set too high at 25. Also, having the contrast too high loses detail in the dark areas, they just get too black.

Secondly, much of the broadcast HD is not as good as it could be, partly because of the compression used, and partly because with such a clear picture it becomes obvious when the camera's focus is not spot on. Also, with many professional video cameras having such a shallow depth of field much of the picture is out of focus anyway.

The only criticism I would have is that when displaying a test grey screen there is a slight pink tint on the left hand third of the screen, and an even less noticeable greenish tint on the right hand third. However, this does not seem to effect the overall picture quality in any discernible way. The picture is sharper and brighter than plasma, with possibly slightly richer colours. This television can produce an excellent picture when given a good signal.

The sound quality is quite good given the slimness of the set, but put through our hi-fi system it is excellent.

I have tried 3D viewing and it is very convincing, but a little uncomfortable to watch for a long time. Nothing wrong with LG's passive 3D method, but I think it is because ones eyes try to refocus on near and far objects, when in fact they are all the screen's distance away.

The smart functions are fine, but not the main reason for buying this set. Screen casting from a tablet works well too. I like the pointer, which I find easy to use and accurate.

Overall, I highly recommend this set, and please don't rush out to buy a 4K television unless you are going to sit very close and only watch 4K content, of which there is currently little. Even if the future is 4K, I'm sure that HD and even SD will be available for many years yet. After all, even after some years of HD being available, most television channels are still in SD! I hope this review helps.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2016 8:28 PM BST

[2 Way] iSolem [1080P FULL HD] 1x2 3D HDMI Switch Box (1 Input x 2 Output) - Splits HDMI Signals (Blu-Ray Player, PS3 / PS4, Xbox 360 / One, Sky HD, etc) to 2 HD Displays (HDTV / Plasma / LCD / Projector)
Offered by LUCKY SKY

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfectly, 11 Jun. 2015
This box looks very well made and feels solid and surprisingly heavy in the hand, despite its diminutive size. The HDMI signals pass through with no apparent degradation. Very good value for money.

AGPtek HDMI/YPBPR Recorder HD Game Capture Recorder Video Capture Device for WiiU/Xbox 360/Xbox One/PS4/PS4

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Extremely Well, 29 May 2015
This item is exactly the same as the ezcap 280, in fact the included instructions are for the ezcap. I believe that it is also marketed under the Koolertron brand name.

To test this device I fed the HDMI output from a professional video camera into the input of the capture device. The resultant recoding was encoded in 1080p at 25 fps, and played back on a Panasonic 42" plasma TV. The video encoding was extremely good, with accurate colours and no sign of digital artefacts. In fact I was unable to distinguish any difference between the original and the recording. Clearly this device is capable of recording full high definition of video. I saved the recordings on a self powered NTFS formatted HDD.

This device saves the recorded video in .mp4 files. Each file is limited to approximately 1.95 GB, which at a recording rate of about 18M bits per second represents around 15 minutes duration. This however does not limit all recordings to one file, as the device generates subsequent files, with no frames lost between. The recoding duration is therefore limited only by the size of the attached memory. For example, with a 32GB memory stick it would be just under 4 hours, and with a 1TB HDD it would be about 125 hours (if my calculation is correct). This device works out whether the input is standard definition or 720 or 1080 high definition, and also the frame rate, so is compatible with both PAL/SECAM or NTSC standards. By recording SD or 720p HD these recording times would be extended.

In terms of function, this device could not be better, and it is certainly not Chinese rubbish. Of course the long term reliability is unknown. The box has cooling slots underneath which should not be covered as it gets warm (not hot) when running.

Highly recommended.

niceEshop(TM) Mute Flex Skater Dolly Stabilizer Floor Table Top Slider Kit For DSLR Camera Video Film,Special Price
Offered by CZ-Sky [ships from HongKong]

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Very Well - See Video, 26 Mar. 2015
This is a well made table dolly which I use with a tripod ball head to get beautiful gliding video shots. It is solidly made from metal with of course the exception of the tyres. The video camera used is a Canon Legria HF G25.

Here is a link to the YouTube demo video: https://youtu.be/Xd_obmljNN0

Highly recommended.

Generic Mini USB 2.0 Bluetooth 3Mbps V4.0 CSR Dongle Wireless Adapter Device
Generic Mini USB 2.0 Bluetooth 3Mbps V4.0 CSR Dongle Wireless Adapter Device
Offered by buycheapDG-Ships from Taiwan Station

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly and Amazing Value, 24 Mar. 2015
Windows 7 on my PC recognised this dongle immediately, but the initial setting up was a bit tricky as I had to define the network connection and Bluetooth settings before my tablet could be paired with my PC. Amazing value for money when you can easily pay £10 to £15 for an item that does the same thing.

11" Magic Arm with Hot Shoe Mount & Camera Mount for DSLR Camera - Black
11" Magic Arm with Hot Shoe Mount & Camera Mount for DSLR Camera - Black
Offered by BW Corp

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Made, 21 Mar. 2015
This item is poorly made. The ball joints at each end are painted, so as you move them the paint gets scrapped off. The centre joint comprises two corregated surfaces held together by spring pressure and with a locking knob. Releasing this knob and rotating this joint results in a shower of small aluminium particles.

In use the joints are awkward to move into the right position, and the whole thing seems unsuitable for all but the smallest video cameras. My Canon HF G25 is too big and heavy for it. I bought this to mount my video camera onto a wheeled dolly, but instead I found the Douself BK-03 Camera Tripod Ball Head much better.

Not recommended.