Profile for C. Stewart > Reviews

Content by C. Stewart

C. Stewart "Equinox Chick" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
The Raven Boys Quartet 4: The Raven King
The Raven Boys Quartet 4: The Raven King

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic End to a Fantastic Quartet., 12 May 2016
Well, this has been a ride and a half. My favourite of the four books. A really satisfying and beautiful read. It took me longer than usual to read, mainly because I had to keep putting the book down to think about other things as I was so staggered by certain moments (chapters 18,19 and 20 left me reeling for around four hours).

There's so much to appreciate here about the writing. Stiefvarter does things with POV changes that are so good and effortless that you don't realise it's being done until you're right in the middle of a POV. I saw it with Greenmantle in BL,LB, and it was even more pronounced in this book when we saw something from Piper's POV. It's not just a dialogue difference, but a perspective change and a different way of thinking. It's great that you can read a section and know who the character is without seeing the names, because they are that distinctive.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS HERE NOW ........

I loved the ships in this. I loved the kisses. I highlighted the frick out of everything Ronan, partly because he's my favourite character, but also MY WORD the kisses he shares are so beautiful and golden. So much love, that's all he wanted. I was aghast at all his relationships, from Gansey, to Declan, Matthew, Noah, Blue and of course Adam, I was really rooting for everything to go right for him.

There was a slight niggle about the ease to which Henry slotted in, but that did dispel when the toga party happened and we saw Blue's opinion of him change. And he was very necessary to the gang at the end, very necessary, as the one on the outside.

Noah ... Noah ... Noah ... Noah. My beautiful boy. I'm weeping for you. Time is a circle so maybe, maybe, maybe we can have more stories.

This is rather incomprehensible. To say I loved the book would be a gross understatement. My ships came in - I'm hugely happy.
Let me leave you with a Gansey quote, which sums everything up:

'He was a book, and he was holding his final pages, and he wanted to get to the end to find out how it went, and he didn't want it to be over.'

I think I can breathe again, now.

Prince's Gambit: Captive Prince Book Two (The Captive Prince Trilogy)
Prince's Gambit: Captive Prince Book Two (The Captive Prince Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars The second book in this series is so much better than the first, 23 April 2016
The second book in this series is so much better than the first. Whereas Captive Prince read, at times, like a nano project, this has an altogether more polished feel about it. It also helps that it's not really an erotic novel anymore, but stuffed full of politics, intrigue and a great plot. Having said that, there is an incredibly sensual feel to this book (and some specific action which would spoil things).
The sad thing is that reading this, I really wish the first book had had another draft. There are a few inconsistencies that need addressing. Laurent is practically unrecognisable from the Joffreyesque character he was in book 1. I know he thawed towards the end of the book, but his actions in the first part of the book aren't at all in character with the man we see in book 2 - no one's volte-face is that quick. I liked this Laurent very much. I could see why he inspired loyalty and also fear, however he doesn't match up with the man that had Damen flayed to within a hair's breadth of his life, not even knowing what we know now at the end of the book.
I would have liked more hints about Damen in the first book and his character. This is odd because the books are from his POV, but there's one startling moment of clarity for him at the end of the book about how he's been wrong about a few things and you have to wonder why it never occurred to him before.
However, this is about the second book. Prince's Gambit is exciting and rich with description and action. The dialogue is good, the characters are distinct and it was a page turner. There's still a tendency to tell the reader what's happening rather than show (one example is when Laurent is said to have 'flayed' someone with his words, but we never read what he said) but it is streets ahead of the first book.
Confession time: I bought the first book. I've borrowed books 2 and 3 because at £9 each for the kindle editions, I really baulked at paying that amount of money with only the first book under my belt. Is it worth nearly £30 for the trilogy? Not sure, yet.
I wanted to leave this 4.5 stars. It's better than a mere 'I like it' because I did love it, but it's not quite there for the five stars because of the inconsistencies with book 1 and the occasional telling rather than showing. Great read, though.

Captive Prince: Book One of the Captive Prince Trilogy
Captive Prince: Book One of the Captive Prince Trilogy

3.0 out of 5 stars Reads like a Nano Project, 18 April 2016
This review contains spoilers

******************************************************************************

This is readable. The plot is easy to follow (and quite intriguing) and the writing style flows, but ... The only way I can explain this is that it feels like someone's Nano project -maybe one draft later. It's all a bit unedited in places and whilst the description was lush in some parts and there was a reasonably good atmosphere, it all felt basic and predictable, too.

The good points about the book were, as I previously said, the plot and also the pacing. There's intrigue and machinations going on in Vere, which is foreshadowed by the usurping of Damen's throne by his evil half brother. This did, though, beg the question why he didn't just kill Damen, as he's already told everyone he's dead? If you get off on seeing your brother and rightful heir humiliated, which is why you turn him into a slave, wouldn't you wish to be around to see it? I'm wondering if I missed something - did Jokaste ask for him to be spared? Is Kastor really a nice guy and has done this as a means of saving his bro? (No, I'm pretty sure he hasn't.)

There were one or two surprises along the way, and I found myself liking one or two characters who sadly weren't in the book very much, but I am hoping they'll appear in the next ones.
There was too much description about looks. I swear if I was reminded that Laurent had blond/yellow/pale hair and blue eyes again, and they were the exact characteristics that Damen was drawn to, any more, I would have thrown the book across the room. As I'm reading on a kindle, that would have been expensive.
He's good looking. He's fair skinned. He has blue eyes. You like that. WE GET IT!

I also found myself not bothered about the protag much. I mean, he's not evil. He fights for what's right and good and he's obviously buff and hot so I should be swooning (He's also well-endowed and up for it with both men and women) but he was 'too good'. He was Gary Stu leaving Laurent to be some vengeful Mary-Sue with a Tragic Background.

This all sounds horribly negative, and I know that many many people have enjoyed the book and series. It was recommended to me by at least four people, and I can see why it's captured their imaginations because the relationships in the book are hard to find in 99% of published literature, and by god it's great to not have more cis het romance screaming through the pages, but at the same time, I'm not scurrying to read the others. I probably will at some stage (holiday reading perhaps) but for now I'm going to find something else.

I've recently read the first three Raven Cycle books - now they gripped me, but this doesn't.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars but it does the job and the price was excellent. have a daughter who cosplays a lot, 28 July 2015
looks a little flimsy, but it does the job and the price was excellent. have a daughter who cosplays a lot, so this was ideal.

Caseflex iPhone 5S Case Black Split Leather Flip Cover
Caseflex iPhone 5S Case Black Split Leather Flip Cover
Offered by MobileConnect4U

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good and looks smart - price was great in comparison ..., 28 July 2015
It's good and looks smart - price was great in comparison with other stores. It has broken now (the magnet fell out) which is a little annoying, but apart from that, it's fine.

Shingeki no Kyojin Attack on Titan Mikasa Ackerman Cosplay Costume
Shingeki no Kyojin Attack on Titan Mikasa Ackerman Cosplay Costume

3.0 out of 5 stars My daughter likes the outfit but is a bit disappointed. It took a long time to get here ..., 28 July 2015
We asked for the wings emblem and not the swords. My daughter likes the outfit but is a bit disappointed. It took a long time to get here (which I expected, so wasn't fussed about that) so I don't really want to send the jacket back as she wants to cosplay soon.

Belkin CoolSpot Padded Laptop Cooling Lounge for Laptops up to 17"
Belkin CoolSpot Padded Laptop Cooling Lounge for Laptops up to 17"

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 9 Sept. 2014
This was working well,and kept my laptop really cool, but after three months it's stopped working. From what I can tell it's the cable. I'm not surprised at this because it's short and I always had to make sure I got the exact positioning right so it could plug into the laptop. For now I'm using it without the cooling device because it is comfortable and it's not as awkward as using a my cake tray. I need something to cool my laptop down and repairing the cable will probably work out more expensive than buying another. I won't buy Belkin again, though.

A House at War/the Continuing Story of the House of Eliott: The Continuing Story of the House of Eliott
by Elizabeth O'Leary

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 23 May 2014
Uhm, what did I think? Not entirely sure. I think my main feeling is disappointment.

I bought this book because I'd just finished watching the reruns of the House of Eliott. That series ended on an abrupt note with discord between the sisters, and this book was advertised as the story to tie up the loose ends. But it doesn't. For one thing it appears to have ignored the third series altogether. It could well have been written before Jean Marsh finished writing series three, but the fact that she apparently collaborated on this book makes the exclusions of certain characters odd.

So, basically, there's no Daniel, who Evie married, yet he appears on the front cover. Instead Evie's romantic interest is Hugo, who appeared in two episodes in series one. I remembered him liking Evie, but he was too boring for her. Yet here, they have a backstory of a torrid passionate affair and him asking her to marry him three times. What?!

There's no Madge, either, which is irritating as she was integral to the downstairs part of the show. And Tilly is more or less reduced to a walk-on part. There are errors in the ages of the sisters (it's a twelve year gap, not ten). This book spans fifteen years, yet Bea appears to remain forty whilst Evie is permanently mid-thirties. In the television series, Evie is 18 in 1920, so by the end of the war, she should be 43/44. Oh, give me some of that magic dust!

It's also not very well written. There's this emphasis on food, as if she needed to pad out the book. Jack says something whilst 'peeling a pear', but as that's the last line of the chapter, it's unnecessary. It doesn't add anything to his character, to the current situation, or say anything except that he likes pears. (I must just stop typing and peel this orange on my bed ... see unnecessary!) I didn't mind the details about clothes, mind you, because that I did think was necessary as this is a story about a fashion house, and mentioning the wartime rationing was in place, but really did we have to glean every detail of every course when Bea and Cyril are lunching/dining/etc etc?

The main problem is that this book spans a long time period and the author has tried to cram in as many characters as she can from the series, added a few more, but has done little to develop them. I really did not give a monkeys about Connie or Beryl. Hugo made so little impression on me that I was sorely tempted to skip parts. Grief is dealt with in such a basic way (but then the series did that a bit , too) and I ended up reading quickly just so I could get to the end and mark it as finished. The book is quite short, too, so details about the war are skimmed over in a few words, and the sudden changes in time are jarring.

So, why does this have three stars and not one? There's one scene in the book that made me feel much more than I was expecting. Also I did think the voices of Bea and Evie were caught well, and Jack was in character.

To sum up, I was looking for a book so I could continue the story of the Elliot sisters because the end of series three left everything up in the air. Sadly, this isn't it.

Queens Park Rangers F.C. Santa Hat
Queens Park Rangers F.C. Santa Hat

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 24 Feb. 2014
My son and husband loved them, and wouldn't wear anything else over Christmas. This was a great addition to the festivities.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The odds were in my favour, 24 Feb. 2014
as I handed this over to my daughter. It fits beautifully and she wears it all the time. Very good quality.

Page: 1 | 2