Profile for S. Limbrick > Reviews

Content by S. Limbrick

S. Limbrick (South Wales)

The Railway Man
The Railway Man
by Eric Lomax
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars An insight into the terrors of war and a lesson in forgiveness, 14 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Railway Man (Paperback)
I almost put the book away during the first couple of chapters (just didn't seem to be my sort of book) but I was so glad I didn't after I got deeper into the book. Alex Lomax captures the reader's imagination and interest with his graphic writing, based on his first-hand knowledge of the attrocities suffered by prisoners of war. I couldn't put the book down after the initial couple of chapters. It really is worth perservering.

Sarah's Story: They Cruelly Stole My Childhood. Here Is My Story of Recovery and Triumph
by Sarah Preston

5.0 out of 5 stars A story of true courage, 22 May 2008
Sarah's Story managed to stir so many different emotions in me as the reader. It made me cry with heartfelt sorrow, it made me angry, it shocked and filled me with an overwhelming need for justice for Sarah and all the other abused children who's story we may not read but is just as real as Sarah's. Sarah's Story also managed to fill me with a sense of admiration at the courage shown by a little girl, who, against all odds, managed to find the courage to stop the abuse.

It is a truly inspirational story of how the wrong kind of love can destroy a child's life, and how the right kind of love can be instrumental in that child's recovery and freedom. If ever there was a story to inspire other abused children to have hope and strength, this is it.

Runaway World
Runaway World
by Professor Anthony Giddens
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction to Globalization, 2 Mar 2003
This review is from: Runaway World (Paperback)
Having bought and read a number of books on the subject of 'globalization', I found Anthony Giddens' 'Runaway world' brought the subject to life in simple and most comprehensible terms. Giddens lack of the usual pretentious diction that has become synonymous with Sociology texts, truly enhances the enjoyment and interest in the subject.
The book is made up of a series of lectures on a variety of issues surrounding the impact that globalization has had on everyday ideologies. Runaway World deals with globalization, risk, family, tradition and democracy in a most unpretentious way that makes reading enjoyable and an equally enjoyable learning experience. It is aimed at people who are able to form their own opinions of how globalization is affecting our lives, but at the same time, it doesn't assume that we are all experienced sociologists. This book has been my greatest investment since my globalization studies began and I would reccomend it to anyone who finds the whole concept of globalization a difficult one to master.