Profile for Sean Hodges > Reviews

Content by Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges "Sean Hodges" (London, UK)

HP LaserJet Pro M175nw 100 Colour Multifunction Printer
HP LaserJet Pro M175nw 100 Colour Multifunction Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Just right for my family's needs, 1 Feb. 2014
I've had good experiences with several HP printers over the years, and I wanted a colour laser printer with wifi, so the kids could print from their laptops in their bedrooms. We also needed it to scan.

My experience; having a laser printer is brilliant for reliability. I got sick of finding my inkjet cartridges had dried out and I was missing a colour or two on prints. The quality is as good as my office machines, but not good enough for photos. I had long ago decided that the few photos I needed printing were best done by a commercial service on the High Street.
Lasers give very nice documents - text and figures look crisp and clean. The printer does a lot of rattling and grinding and self-testing, and shutting down to save power. Sometimes I wonder if it is alive! I used the web access tool to reduce the activity a bit in the settings. Don't buy this printer for its speed - but for its reliability and output quality.

The cartridges are expensive, and you are told that the printer ships with only part-filled ones, so I expected them to run out quite quickly. I even bought a (non-HP) black one because that was running out fastest. In the end, despite ever more frantic warnings, the cartridge hasn't run out yet (1300 B&W, 930 colour prints so far). Assuming it accepts non-HP cartridges, the cost is acceptable.

Setting up on my mixed wireless network (Mac Mini, 2 PCs, Kindle, iPod, iPhone, iPad) was slow but straightforward, and worked first time. I didn't realise the usb cable was supposed to be removed after setup, which caused some flaky behaviour until I realised and removed it. I also had a problem with the wifi dropping out, so that my daughters' laptops wouldn't print - even though they could see the printer on wireless. A cure has been to delete the printer and reinstall - very quick to do and gets it working again. I have read on here that assigning static IP to the network devices can fix this; the problem arises when a device (e.g. the printer) goes to sleep, and the router decides to assign all new IP addresses to the other devices. When the printer wakes up it tries to use the last IP address it had before sleeping, but if that has been assigned to another device it can cause a conflict, and the printer drops the network.
I might try that solution when I have learned a bit more.

I find that with gadgets as complex as this, it pays to learn about it and keep a note of its foibles. Once you solve a problem (and you understand how!) it tends to stay solved.

Black and Decker Gk1640tk Chainsaw - 40cm Bar Complete With Cable
Black and Decker Gk1640tk Chainsaw - 40cm Bar Complete With Cable

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad saw, 30 July 2009
I got mine cheap off ebay, and so was less worried about value. I used it to cut down a load of trees and chop them into logs. The GK1640 was the second electric chainsaw I've used, and I reckon it was easily better than my Dad's old one. I gave it rough treatment - cutting off trees flush with the ground and getting loads of dirt and grass jammed into the mechanism. Once I cleaned it all out it was none the worse for wear - even after bouncing off a few stones it kept cutting (I thought I'd wrecked the thing).

I love the way the powerful motor and longer bar allow the saw to sink into really thick logs. After a years of hand-sawing I am a convert to chainsaws, and this seems to be a good example of its type.

NEC E535 : Safeguard Mobile Phone BRAIN Radiation Protectors/Shields (Buy 1 get 1 Free !!)

1.0 out of 5 stars Pseudo-scientific nonsense, 1 May 2008
Customers should be aware that almost everything in the promotional text associated with this product is nonsense.
There is no evidence that electromagnetic waves (ie radio, microwaves) emitted by mobile phones is harmful, and this product is being sold to take advantage of the unwary.

Save your money and stop worrying about mobiles - they are harmless.

Roomy Villas: The Story of Southfields Grid and Its Surro: The Story of Southfields Grid and Its Surroundings
by Neil Robson

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 16 Oct. 2006
I read this hoping that "...and its surroundings" would include my bit of Southfields (north end Wimbledon Park Road) but the book is really focussed on the Grid itself.

Having said that, it is a fascinating combination of general historical overview and juicy detail. Specific info about individuals and individual houses are sprinkled throughout the book, which charts the development of Southfields from being just what its name says - fields - to more or less what we see today.

Some details I liked; apparently the no 39 bus has been running down my road for the best part of a hundred years, and commuters have been moaning about the service on the Wimbledon branch of the District line pretty much continuously since it was built!

Worth a read by any local resident.

Mrs.Armitage on Wheels (Picture Lions)
Mrs.Armitage on Wheels (Picture Lions)
by Quentin Blake

5.0 out of 5 stars Big hit with 5 yr old, 11 Mar. 2005
Mrs Armitage is a rather lively lady of indeterminate age. She cycles around with her dog, but keeps dreaming up improvements for her chosen mode of travel. Eventually she goes too far...
There's lots of repetition, funny pictures and my daughter (aged 5) loved it. Her particular favourite was doing the noise of the loudest of three horns "Pah-hee-hah-hurgh!"

Peppa Pig: Muddy Puddles And Other Stories [VHS]
Peppa Pig: Muddy Puddles And Other Stories [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Cutest animation ever, 18 Jan. 2005
Peppa is a 4-yr-old animated pig, with a tendency to giggle infectiously. She has a 2-yr-old brother George, who likes dinosaurs, and lives with her mummy and daddy.
Every day they have a 5 minute adventure, such as going to the shops, or visiting grandma & grandpa.
I don't know what makes this series so very good; perhaps it's the voices (Peppa and Dad are particularly good), or the simple story lines, with neat little jokes. Perhaps it's the fact that the little stories are so well observed - I have 4-yr-old and 2-yr-old daughters - but whatever the reason, I think I love the animations even more than they do, which is a lot.