Profile for N. O'farrell > Reviews

Content by N. O'farrell

N. O'farrell "Mother of Patsy" (London)

Ellas Kitchen 7 Months Four Bean Feast 140g
Ellas Kitchen 7 Months Four Bean Feast 140g
Offered by Ainley Organics
Price: 5.68

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a con, 19 Jun 2012
you only get one pouch for far more than you would pay in a shop, con artists all over grocery

It's Signing Time [DVD]
It's Signing Time [DVD]
Dvd ~ Suzanne Miell-Ingram
Offered by singing_hands
Price: 12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many signs per song, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: It's Signing Time [DVD] (DVD)
My son has Downs syndrome and I feel that some of these songs will just look like a jumble of hand movements to him, but I think that a typically developing child might have trouble too. I bought this for us to watch together but there are often too many signs per song- see Three Little Monkeys, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Three Little Sandcastles (abstract or what?!), Hey Diddle Diddle and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star as examples of this. In the accompanying booklet they suggest that parents can sign in this way when children gain a more advanced understanding of signing, but I imagine that it is a rare child who would be at this advanced level who could not communicate their needs through speech. They say the DVD is for all children, personally I cannot imagine why a parent of a typically developing child would bother with makaton, it feels quite counterintuitive and I'd argue that it is unnecessary and could get in the way of spontaneous, natural parent- child interaction. I will use makaton but only because my child has a learning disability, this whole faddy signing buzz that middle class parents are at the moment on is getting on my nerves.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2013 3:58 PM BST

WaterWipes Super Value Box - Pack of 9, Total 540 Baby Wipes
WaterWipes Super Value Box - Pack of 9, Total 540 Baby Wipes
Price: 19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars quality has changed, 18 Jun 2012
quality of the wipes in this pack is very different. I had bought the 4 pack before and the wipes felt lovely to the touch. The wipes in this pack feel much rougher on the skin. disappointing.

Children's Play Sand - 15kg Bag
Children's Play Sand - 15kg Bag
Offered by Be Creative
Price: 9.10

1.0 out of 5 stars Moist sand is dodgy sand, 4 Oct 2011
When I opened the bag I found that the sand was wet. So apparently it is being stored wet in a warehouse in platic bags for god knows how long and shipped to customers like that. Moist sand plus time provides the ideal environment for the growth of harmful bacteria, so I doubt it's safe for children to play with.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2013 9:23 PM BST