Profile for J. Edwards > Reviews

Content by J. Edwards

J. Edwards "I'm A PC" (England)

Offered by Games World Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back Lara Croft, 21 Nov. 2008
Tomb Raider Underworld (Xbox 360)

This is how exploration should feel. Not once on my 360 have I come across a game that delivers the true feeling of exploration. Tomb Raider Anniversary came close and it was a fine game, but nothing compared to Underworld. When I started playing I was hooked onto the game like never before. I could not put my control down until the game was finished. Not only was the story intriguing but just moving around in these huge, atmospheric environments made me grin like a big idiot.

As you move further and further into the tombs, jungles and underworlds you really grasp what shines in Tomb Raider, what we haven't seen since perhaps the original. Lara Croft has had her ups and downs in the past few games but all is forgiven now. Not only does she look better than ever she also moves more gracefully and easily. Finally a perfect control scheme for our Lady!

Lara isn't the only thing that looks great though, the entire game looks almost photo-realistic. Here is some of the best graphics on the platform, especially the Thailand level as you progress further into the jungle. Even the soundtrack is unbeatable this time round. Frequently whilst playing you really feel uplifted by the dramatic score featured in Underworld. What's better is that the music isn't constantly playing, when it shouldn't be, it isn't, leaving the game seem even more atmospheric and bringing back that sense of isolation.

Granted, the combat isn't perfect, but considering the exploration is the main focus, this definitely does not bother me. It's not like the combat is painful, it just isn't as inspired as the exploration. Towards the end of the game we weild a very powerful weapon and the combat suddenly feels much more exhillerating so don't let this turn you away.

I blatantly disagree completely with the negative review on here. For one thing, the game took me longer than 10 hours to complete and I am still playing back through the levels. Underworld is a must buy for anyone remotely interested. If you've given Tomb Raider a chance in the past and have been let down then give the franchise another go. I promise you won't be disappointed this time. Welcome back Lara Croft.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2012 6:58 PM GMT

The Open Door
The Open Door
Offered by Media Vortex

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond comprehension, 10 Jan. 2008
This review is from: The Open Door (Audio CD)
For about an hour i have been trying to write a review. I have revised and restarted so many times that i have lost count. It is so hard to compare this album to fallen. This is because Fallen sold MILLIONS of albums and to say that it was very successful would be an understatement. However The Open Door offers so much more than Fallen. With The Open Door you can really feel every emotion in the different songs. There are aggressive rock-out songs like "Sweet Sacrifice" and "Lithium" that really hit the spot when you're in the mood for a badass heavy song. There are gentle, calming, soothing and most of all happy songs such as "Good Enough" and to me; the main emotion missing from Fallen was happiness. There are almost indescribable songs such as "Cloud Nine" and "Snow White Queen" that really pack a punch yet are so unique that you may have to listen to them again to discover how much you really like the songs whereas you probably immediately adore the others. Songs like "The Only One" and "Lose Control" are the most different and probably the catchiest songs of the album once you've sang along with the lyrics. Coming to the end of the album is "Lacrymosa" that combines beyond amazing vocals with great guitar playing and stunning classical symphony. What's left if your still begging for more is "Like you" which is a sad and brilliant melody and probably my all time favourite song; "Your Star". I don't quite know how to describe "Your Star". It starts melodically and peacefully with vocals that top all other songs, and then it gets going with the introduction of the guitars and drums, and changes to a completely outstanding track that deserves to be listened to again and again, with an utterly immense ending. To conclude, now that I have the open door, I will be sticking to it when I want my dose of Evanescence. The open door simply has much more to offer to me than what fallen does and The Open Door is most definitely my favourite album. I'm not asking you to think that too, but if you agree that this album is incredible and if you prefer the change from Fallen then please answer yes to "Was this review helpful?" Thank you for reading.